Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anybody Here Use a 256mb Geforce 8600gts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Anybody Here Use a 256mb Geforce 8600gts?

hey every1,

i REALLY hate these threads too, but its the best way i will get info on this:

i am considering getting myself a 256mb GeForce 8600gts for xmas, and was wondering what performance i could expect from that coupled with:

2 gig ram
    360gig hdd
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ (2.4 ghz dual core )
    Windows Vista Ultimate

just wondering what people are running their demos at with the card.
    here it is on a pricelist (BTW: its aussie dollars )

ty

Green_Day_584

The 512 MB 8800 GT is now out for $250-300US money(as in about 1/2 the price of a GTX while being almost as fast). I just went to a currency conversion site and got 270-320 Aussie dollars as compared to the 250-300 US(maybe you or some1 else can add to this, I'm curious as to if AUD is actually this close to USD)[link to site for the currency converter is http://www.xe.com/ucc/]. Btw I'm running a P4 @ 3.06 GHz on the 533 FSB, 1 gig of Kingston HyperX DDR400, and a BFG 6800 GToc. STill plenty of players to pwn on UT2k4 and none of my PC's can run UT3 too well right now, it's fine, while UT3 full isnt even do out yet for another couple weeks, and then prices will come down a bit and a newer 640 MB 8800 GTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
      i am considering getting myself a 256mb GeForce 8800gts for xmas, and was wondering what performance i could expect from that coupled with:

2 gig ram
      360gig hdd
      Windows Vista Ultimate

just wondering what people are running their demos at with the card.
      here it is on a pricelist (BTW: its aussie dollars )
      ty
      Green_Day_584
      Not sure that card even exists, in any case, If you buy any 8000 series card except for the 8800GT 512Mb, you are wasting your money. If your contemplating the 8800GT 256Mb, which is not out as yet, wait for the reviews and benchmarks, and remember any 256Mb card will likely be limited to 1280x768 or lower resolution in the new games. Go to Anandtech ot tomshardware and look at the benchmarks and reviews.

Comment

I got 40-50fps in my rig with the blurs off in vCTF-Suspence.
        Check my sigs, or use the forum's Search function.

Comment

Yeah I'd go with the 8800 GT 512.

Comment

The 8600GT can get Good FPS in this game, especially when setting the world Detail to 2.

The card actually get cpu bound in shangrila in this settings (running a Athlon x2 @ 2.8ghz)

I also recomend the 8800GT, but if you have to get a 8600, look for one using GDDR3, STAY AWAY from the cards that are using GDDR2!

Comment

8600 is a really poor card compared to the 8800 line, it's a lot lower performance and not worth your time.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                8600 is a really poor card compared to the 8800 line, it's a lot lower performance and not worth your time.
                Agreed 100%

Comment

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...nce/page10.asp

That compares various cards, and was mainly aimed at testing the new 8800GT 512MB against others. Go for one of them.

I have an 8600GT, 256MB. It played ok on my old rig, with a Pentium D 2.8ghz & 2GB RAM. It didn't play great though, sometimes the FPS dropped to around 30 during battles & I'd turned a lot of things off/lowered settings. With my new Quad Core 2.4ghz, it now runs at a minimum of 50fps with graphics on higher & most effects on (post processing extreme). & that includes the courtyard in shangri-la, which is notorious for killing FPS So if you have a decent processor (I'm not sure on AMDs & how the models compare for UT3), you'd be able to get away with one.

If you can afford it, go for the better card. If not, I'd get one because it can handle the game pretty well. But for the price, the 8600 probably isn't worth it compared to the price of an 8800GT. Remember though, that two of the best 8600s SLI aren't as good as one of the cheapest 8800s

Bear in mind though, that you need a beefy PSU to go with any 8800 - 400 watts minimum, generally 500 & up are preffered. If you can't get one of those to go with it, the 8600 should be ok on a smaller wattage PSU. I was running my pentium D with 2GB 800mhz ram & 8600 on a 250 watt PSU (embarrasing ), and it was ok - but that probably also shows how the 8600 pales in comparison to others

Comment

My mom uses that one, I bet your mom does too.

Comment

8800gt seems like the way to go. I'd wait for the full game to get benched first.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
                        hey every1,

i REALLY hate these threads too, but its the best way i will get info on this:

i am considering getting myself a 256mb GeForce 8800gts for xmas, and was wondering what performance i could expect from that coupled with:

2 gig ram
                        360gig hdd
                        Windows Vista Ultimate
                        See my sig for system specs. Close to yours. If you are looking in this price range, this is a decent card. I stayed mostly right around or just above 60fps with the demo test setup described in this thread:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=581284

I can certainly appreciate that the 8800 series would give me better fps and perhaps more eye candy with higher textures in the full version (since the best textures are not included with the beta demo), but it's been very playable for me with the much less expensive 8600GTS. No complaints.

Comment

Do not quote FPS without stating your screen res and quality setting

Originally posted by Smaz View Post
                          [
                          I have an 8600GT, 256MB. It played ok on my old rig, with a Pentium D 2.8ghz & 2GB RAM. It didn't play great though, sometimes the FPS dropped to around 30 during battles & I'd turned a lot of things off/lowered settings. With my new Quad Core 2.4ghz, it now runs at a minimum of 50fps with graphics on higher & most effects on (post processing extreme). & that includes the courtyard in shangri-la, which is notorious for killing FPS So if you have a decent processor (I'm not sure on AMDs & how the models compare for UT3), you'd be able to get away with one.
                          Your FPS number means nothing unless you state what your screen resolution is and what you have you qaulity set at. 50 FPS with 640x480 at minimum detail is real bad compared to 1024x768 and medium details. You should also mention your screen size and type.

Comment

ty every1 for all the tips, kudos to u all

all i need now is a bit more cash, and im on my way...

Comment

oh yer, sory for double posting, but id like to apologise my spelling mistake on the first post

accidentaly put 8800 intead of 8600..........

Comment

Working...
                              X