dual 8600 gts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual 8600 gts

I'm getting a new PC from Dell, one of their XPSes.

The setup includes:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 ghz)
    2 gb Corsair Dominator
    dual 8600 gts (SLI I assume)
    320 gb hard drive

There was the option to select the 8800 gtx for an extra $200 CAD, which I had strongly suggested my dad in buying. But no, even after I tried to convince him based on all the benchmark tests I've seen, he still thought the 8600s were "good enough", and spent the $200 in a second hard drive (even when he is getting a 500 gb external, wtf), extended McAffe service, and an ATI theatre 650 pro (even when its Intel with Nvidia card).

I am aware that it is possible to cancel an order, but it must be done ASAP. I e-mailed my dad trying to convince him again, but he hasn't got back to me yet.

I think there will be a huge performance difference between these two cards when running UT3, and I don't want to settle for less, especially when that money is spent in unnecessary things.

8800gt.......

and shame on you from buying a prebuilt system from ANYONE.

get it from newegg, build it yourself, and make your father happy by having him save a grand.

Comment

Your dad is a MORON. No offense. But tell him some dude on the forum said so because he is infact a sucker. Sorry...

Comment

thats no way to talk bro

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal View Post
          thats no way to talk bro
          Don't TASE me bro! heh...

Comment

I hate to be redundant but you should never buy a pre-built system, especially from dell. Take the time to learn how to build a gaming computer piece by piece, it doesn't take long. Not to flaunt my accomplishments, but I built my system for just under $700 dollars, that includes the XFX 8600 GTS's in SLI mode and an AMD64 Athlon Duel-Core 6000+(That's 3 friggen Gigahertz). I did all of this in preparation for UT3, Cysis, and Gears of War for PC. Just for the hell of it, check out Tigerdirect and Newegg; you just might be surprised at the amount of money you can conserve by shopping at these online computer stores.

Comment

Originally posted by sushi159 View Post
              I'm getting a new PC from Dell, one of their XPSes.

The setup includes:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 ghz)
              2 gb Corsair Dominator
              dual 8600 gts (SLI I assume)
              320 gb hard drive

There was the option to select the 8800 gtx for an extra $200 CAD, which I had strongly suggested my dad in buying. But no, even after I tried to convince him based on all the benchmark tests I've seen, he still thought the 8600s were "good enough", and spent the $200 in a second hard drive (even when he is getting a 500 gb external, wtf), extended McAffe service, and an ATI theatre 650 pro (even when its Intel with Nvidia card).

I am aware that it is possible to cancel an order, but it must be done ASAP. I e-mailed my dad trying to convince him again, but he hasn't got back to me yet.

I think there will be a huge performance difference between these two cards when running UT3, and I don't want to settle for less, especially when that money is spent in unnecessary things.
              cancel now and get 8800gt.......... DO IT

If they dont have 8800gt, get teh cheapest pos card you can get, and buy an 8800gt on your own.

Its the best card for your money.

One of the things that turned me off from nvidia(went back to them after getting screwed by ati) was when I bought a geforce 3 ti 200. It was essentially a cheapo geforce 2. the 8600 is probably comparable to a crappier version of a 7 series card.

In any case, Ill be gaming on...
              2.8 p4 with HYPER THREADING!
              1gig ram
              7800gs.

When I build a new system in a year or so, definately will be grabbing in 8800 gt.

Comment

There isn't really a huge performance difference in the 8600 GTS and the 8800GTX for UT3, unless you are running Windows Vista; friggen DirectX10 shaders and what not. With 2 8600 GTS's in SLI, assuming that the memory interface is 128 bit, you are going to be comparable to a single 8800 GTS; which is already amazing. UT3, surprisingly, is less demanding than F.E.A.R. when you break it down-to play at a decent frame rate that is. The textures are really no problem for a video card to handle. Lighting, shadowing, and models are what makes it lag. UT3 is a texture and complex model *****, that's about it when it comes to taxing your system. Games like Quake 4, Doom 3, and F.E.A.R. are more for shadowing and lighting with simple models. Having simpler models makes it a hell of lot easier for the game's engine to place digital shadows and lighting to reflect and "hug" the models.

Comment

Originally posted by Yongmonrathen View Post
                  There isn't really a huge performance difference in the 8600 GTS and the 8800GTX for UT3, unless you are running Windows Vista; friggen DirectX10 shaders and what not. With 2 8600 GTS's in SLI, assuming that the memory interface is 128 bit, you are going to be comparable to a single 8800 GTS; which is already amazing. UT3, surprisingly, is less demanding than F.E.A.R. when you break it down-to play at a decent frame rate that is. The textures are really no problem for a video card to handle. Lighting, shadowing, and models are what makes it lag. UT3 is a texture and complex model *****, that's about it when it comes to taxing your system. Games like Quake 4, Doom 3, and F.E.A.R. are more for shadowing and lighting with simple models. Having simpler models makes it a hell of lot easier for the game's engine to place digital shadows and lighting to reflect and "hug" the models.
                  wrong, where have you been for the past year? Vista's compatibility with SLI is absolute ****e, and the 8600gts in sli at higher res still doesn't perform as well as the 640 meg 8800gts. the 8800gtx blows the 8600gts sli out of the water anyway. Besides, why not just buy an 8800gt for 250-300 and save money and get even better performance than nearly the gtx?

Comment

Originally posted by IronCurtain View Post
                    ... shame on you from buying a prebuilt system from ANYONE...
                    Originally posted by Yongmonrathen View Post
                    I hate to be redundant but you should never buy a pre-built system, especially from dell. Take the time to learn how to build a gaming computer piece by piece, it doesn't take long...
                    i know that the cost is less for building your own PC, but i don't really wanna risk something on which i m spending money on. And there is no warranty for me blowing something up.

I decided to actually custom build my PC from CyberPower PC. (system specs in my signature.)

Any comments or suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by unrealkiller View Post
                      i know that the cost is less for building your own PC, but i don't really wanna risk something on which i m spending money on. And there is no warranty for me blowing something up.

I decided to actually custom build my PC from CyberPower PC. (system specs in my signature.)

Any comments or suggestions?
                      well considering you're wrong, just about every custom pc website has warranty plus extended if you decide to purchase it. so get it from newegg, and build it yourself. you'll thank me later.

Comment

i don't know how to build it and i don't wanna lose my money by blowing something up.

Comment

i thought the same thing, and back in my day it was much harder. if you know how to put a nintendo game in a nintendo, you'll know how to build a computer. there's plenty of how-to websites, and if you want to save at LEAST a grand, you're gonna have to work.

EDIT: http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Comment

Last time a built a pc, there was something wrong. 4 years later, there is stills omething wrong with it.

Ive tried everything and no one has a clue. Im guessing its a malfunctioning part. Stuttering with high/steady fps.
                            In any case, I would have bought prebuilt if i knew it was going to be such a problem.

However, I probably wont buy prebuilt next time around either. Since no one has a clue with whats wrong with it, Im assuming its a fluke. For sure though, Ill be buying parts from different manufacturers.

I cehcked out the cyberpc site, and the prices arent marked up all that bad.
                            Do a side by side comparison with newegg, part for part, and let us know the price difference Unreal Killer. If anything, youll learn something.
                            If you look at performance part for part, you could shave off hundreds of dollars by building it yourself, rather than buying a namebrand with parts that dotn give you the most bang for your buck.

In any case, once I upgrade Ill buy a box for my old pc and make it a multimedia machine. DVR/DVD and or HD DVD.
                            Something like this.
                            http://www.avadirect.com/product_det....asp?PRID=9459

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUT View Post
                              Last time a built a pc, there was something wrong. 4 years later, there is stills omething wrong with it.

Ive tried everything and no one has a clue. Im guessing its a malfunctioning part. Stuttering with high/steady fps.
                              In any case, I would have bought prebuilt if i knew it was going to be such a problem.

However, I probably wont buy prebuilt next time around either. Since no one has a clue with whats wrong with it, Im assuming its a fluke. For sure though, Ill be buying parts from different manufacturers.
                              could be a bad part and you were too lazy to RMA it? happened to a few of my video cards and worked just fine. kids these days have it easy with pre-installed drivers on xp, it was a total ****ing nightmare back in the win95 days.

it basically comes down to making sure everything's in correct order, isnt overheating, correct driver install, etc. hard drives can fail, any memory sticks can randomly go bad (not so much nowadays), and so many other things. it's still worth it building a computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X