Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On which operating system do you plan to play UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO DX10 on XP and XBOX.
    Reason(xp): xp can't run dx10 applications because of the significant changes in the graphics API and driver model.
    Reason (xbox): because it lacks the shader model 4.0 hardware.
    Source:
    Link to source.

Dilemma! Whattodo Whattodo? Upgrade to vista for DX10? Will the changes be that good?

Comment

Mac OS X... how do linux users out number mac users on the ut forums????

and why is there an "other" os. were u too lazy to put mac os x?

Comment

WINDOWS VISTA 32 BIT FTW! (continually screams at computer because Vista rulez)

(LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
          But the problem is that most people have stuff that they bought before Vista. In my case it's a TV capture card and a gaming keyboard that don't work properly and lower end graphics card. Is it my fault, should I try to find better drivers? Maybe, but _my_ choice is not using Vista atm for everyday activities

Vista is quite stable on my PC

Sorry, I can't understand what do you mean, language barrier. You mean for instance having an older Dell that came with XP, and now go to a store, buy Vista Upgrade and try to install?
          1: Of course people have stuff that they bought before, vista, the issues is that there is a chance it may not work, do we blame this on the OS.. of course not. Do we blame this on the user, of course not, do we blame this on the manufacturer of such products.. YES. Depending on age of course, there is such thing as dicontinued products... if it's discontinued, well your just boned period.

2:Vista is VERY stable on most machines.... the only machine i've ever seen where vista was unstable, was related to either Massive OCing, or BAD ram, which is funny because xp was so unstable you could load xp... vista you actually made it into windows

3: Pretty much, if you buy a dell, acer product with xp, run xp, your chances of getting support for vista is pretty much 0.. and what support they may provide... is going to be garbage usually. Ontop of that, quite a number of machines from.. example, dell, loaded with vista from the start, are so poorly done, that they have the same garbage support as one of thier xp machines upgraded to vista.... This is precisely the problem with the companies... very little Quality control, very little testing, built to basically do nothing more then open notepad and perhaps a few spreadsheets...

Comment

Originally posted by DHJudas View Post
            1: Of course people have stuff that they bought before, vista, the issues is that there is a chance it may not work, do we blame this on the OS.. of course not. Do we blame this on the user, of course not, do we blame this on the manufacturer of such products.. YES. Depending on age of course, there is such thing as dicontinued products... if it's discontinued, well your just boned period.
            None of them is discontinued or at least not obsolete.
            - The TV card is a Miro PCTV Pro.
            - The gaming keyboard was bought less than a year ago.
            - The card is a 8600gt
            If an OS makes this hardware misbehave, run slowly or just break it, then it's OS fault.

2:Vista is VERY stable on most machines.... the only machine i've ever seen where vista was unstable, was related to either Massive OCing, or BAD ram, which is funny because xp was so unstable you could load xp... vista you actually made it into windows
            This is not really that accurate but here it goes:
            Instability on Vista machines with OC'ed RAM was because Vista allocates memory randomly instead of linear and sooner or later program code will "touch" all memory available. This is for security reasons, avoid that malware can guess the physical addresses. Machines could appear more stable on XP when the faulty memory was on the last addresses, it would be covered by disk cache. This would lead sooner to data corruption and loss. On Vista it makes programs crash sooner.
            But at the same time is one of the reasons why memory performance on Vista is lower than on any other OS known to mankind.

3: Pretty much, if you buy a dell, acer product with xp, run xp, your chances of getting support for vista is pretty much 0.. and what support they may provide... is going to be garbage usually. Ontop of that, quite a number of machines from.. example, dell, loaded with vista from the start, are so poorly done, that they have the same garbage support as one of thier xp machines upgraded to vista.... This is precisely the problem with the companies... very little Quality control, very little testing, built to basically do nothing more then open notepad and perhaps a few spreadsheets...
            The problem is that the hardware, software and services that are not good enough for Vista seem to add up pretty quickly. The others came first, it is Vista that is not good enough for them.

For me, this Vista discussion is pointless though, it will happen again and again. Hardware manufacturers depend on M$ to lead consumers to the next upgrade cycle.

Comment

Vista 32-bit. Just installed it on a new system today. Trying to get used to it.

Comment

we all know vista is the only way eventually... im not into halo, but halo 2 for VISTA is only the beginning of the end of xp. so i decided to get on the Vista train as fast as possible, and im already reaping the rewards (just need service pack 1, and the bugs will be crushed, and us vista users wil be sitting on gold)

Comment

I'm running XP at the moment, but I'll swich to linux when XP is becoming obsolete, I can't stand anything about vista and I'm certenly not giving M$ any of my money.

Comment

XP 64bit--------------

Comment

Where is the XP 32bit + Vista 32bit + Linux64bit choice? I'll atleast will try all 3, then flip between Linux & a Win install.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                        None of them is discontinued or at least not obsolete.
                        - The TV card is a Miro PCTV Pro.
                        - The gaming keyboard was bought less than a year ago.
                        - The card is a 8600gt
                        If an OS makes this hardware misbehave, run slowly or just break it, then it's OS fault.
                        So have you talked to your tv card manufacturer for most recent drivers? Do they even provide any?
                        The keyboard is what brand? Do they provide recent drivers for it, are they even providing support for vista yet either?
                        Nvidia still has a bad rep with vista, mind you it's getting better...

In all the cases, It's not the OS making this hardware misbehave, it's the driver support, drivers are the driving force, it's the translation from software to hardware and back again.... if there is so much of a single hitch in the drivers, your system is toast...

This is not really that accurate but here it goes:
                        Instability on Vista machines with OC'ed RAM was because Vista allocates memory randomly instead of linear and sooner or later program code will "touch" all memory available. This is for security reasons, avoid that malware can guess the physical addresses. Machines could appear more stable on XP when the faulty memory was on the last addresses, it would be covered by disk cache. This would lead sooner to data corruption and loss. On Vista it makes programs crash sooner.
                        But at the same time is one of the reasons why memory performance on Vista is lower than on any other OS known to mankind.
                        Vista's able to handle memory read/write errors alot better, while still affected by it, it can usually manage through it quite well. Likely to experience a number of crashes so long as the memory isn't taking a complete dump.

Windows xp, while would likely crash on startup with a few file corruption messages or similare... or you MAY make it into windows, but only for a short time...

The problem is that the hardware, software and services that are not good enough for Vista seem to add up pretty quickly. The others came first, it is Vista that is not good enough for them.

For me, this Vista discussion is pointless though, it will happen again and again. Hardware manufacturers depend on M$ to lead consumers to the next upgrade cycle.

No it's not vista that's not good enough for them, it's companies trying to make the biggest buck, but dropping the lvl of quality. In order to compete with the other manufacturers, if not beat them, they all have to cut corners somewhere.. this is why even the higherend models from these companies have a tendancy to litterly suck balls. When you pop open one of the leading prebuilt manufacturers computers and see serial numbers litterly scraped off the components inside, labeled pioneer or sony or toshiba or whatever, but erased enough that you couldn't talk to them specifically, you KNOW, at least you should know, that your dealing with utter garbage. Most people don't know it, but a number of the devices they've got sitting in thier prebuilts are models that didn't pass that manufacturers OWN quality controls, so the prebuilt companies will call em up, make them an offer... buy out for example, a product seen on retail shelves for 100 bucks, for probably 10 bucks a pop in shipment of thousands. (one of the ways to cut corners)...

The simple fact of the matter is that the manufacturers have gotten exceptionally lazy, with the lack of any steller updates to XP in the last 6 years, they haven't had to change much of anything at all, and haven't tried. Remember when xp launched, most of us were all running 500mhz-750mhz P3s and Athlon Slot As, with average of 128mb-256mb of ram. AND a 6gb hardrive to possible 20gb average. Now people are demanding vista to run on machines similare in age, and while as long as it's not a prebuilt with modified components, i can, and HAVE installed vista on machines THAT old, even running Aero interface, with zero hitches, and actually runs just as fast as xp (so long as you meet the minimum video card and other supported components)...

The debate over vista is fruitless, reguardless of how good MS does things, there will always be issues, and the issues ms has run into with vista is actually quite far and few between reguardless of all the bull**** posted on all the news sites... nothing but FUDD

Comment

I plan to run it on Commodore 64.

Comment

i use vista and working great with the game

Comment

All but one of my machines are running Ubuntu Linux. I keep XP Pro around for the apps that have no equivalent in Linux. My Vista experience was an expensive nightmare. Been running Linux for a while now and couldn't be happier. Can't wait until game companies/community figure out that Linux is the high performance solution that we have all been waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
                                Vista eats ram like crazy, id rather stay with my good ol XP until Vista gets a major update to fix all the bugs and problems.
                                You do know free RAM isn't helping to speed up your system right? Vista also disables aero glass when your gaming, so there's no excess RAM consumption there either.

Comment

Working...
                                X