Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On which operating system do you plan to play UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't get what everyone is on about Vista. I have it, and it has been running great. In fact, I like what Broadbandreports has stated when you go to the 'tweak test':

"WINDOWS VISTA USERS: Vista TCP tuning (tweaking) is NOT advisable. The Vista TCP stack does a reasonable job of tuning the receive window dynamically, there are no known registry tweaks that would optimize Vista better than its default configuration."

A step in the right direction, imo

Also the dynamic memory control (forget what they call it now) does a very good job. My last OS was 2000 Pro.

I think most of the Vista issues are because peeps are trying to run it on old hardware for one. I have yet to have anyone come forth with a list of logical arguments as to why they claim Vista is a 'pos'. That's about all you hear, but no real arguments. I saw a few articles comparing the two, but lets face it Vista will continue to improve while Xp will fade.

So to my standing advice on anyone considering Vista, if you have Xp or older hardware there is probably no reason to upgrade (unless you want features like dx10, or don't care about spending the money). But if you do a new build you may want to strongly consider Vista.

Comment

I think what makes it suck is the DRM as well as the performance hit.
      Some bright spark will come up with a wrap around for DX10 to run on XP,
      then Vista will really suck.

Comment

what is vista?

I have Windows 2k and Windows XP and still waiting for MS new OS... hope it will not be too long. I heard they released some adware/spyware lately.. could that be the Vista everybody is talking about?

Comment

I've run the demo on both Vista 32-bit and XP 32-bit. For me XP is the hands down winner for the beta anyways. I average 107 fps with XP and 44 with Vista using the same settings. Normally 44 fps isn't bad and should play fairly decent. Not on Vista......the lag and choppiness makes it unplayable. When the retail comes out, maybe things will be different. I would love to be able to run Vista due to DirectX10. I'm an optimist, so I'm sure UT3/Vista issues will be resolved in the near future.

Comment

I'm going to cheat, myself. Windows XP works fine on this box, but the only thing Windows is good for for me (Yes! I qualified it! HAH! Can't argue!) is games. So I'm running the UT3 demo on my iMac.

But there are two Windows computers and a Linux computer in this house and my friends have a habit of carrying their boxes around, so I expect the answer to this question to turn into 'All of the above' once the game is released. Same as it was with UT2004, UT2003, UT, Quake 3, Doom...You get the picture.

Comment

Vista eats ram like crazy, id rather stay with my good ol XP until Vista gets a major update to fix all the bugs and problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
                Vista eats ram like crazy, id rather stay with my good ol XP until Vista gets a major update to fix all the bugs and problems.
                How much memory is Xp using on your system right now?

Comment

Originally posted by The Argonaut View Post
                  I think what makes it suck is the DRM as well as the performance hit.
                  Some bright spark will come up with a wrap around for DX10 to run on XP,
                  then Vista will really suck.
                  DRM?

what problem with DRM... have you even USED vista before?

That's still BS... i've had better luck opening DRM related stuff in vista then i did with xp....

DX10, or DX9 hybrid 10 for xp if they get it work, is going to have a whole lot of limitation... it'll probably take ages for it to be resolved.. and then that's not including microsoft likely clamping down on it and preventing people from having it.

Comment

Originally posted by [404]Cham3l3on View Post
                    How much memory is Xp using on your system right now?
                    yeah i'd be curious to..

because alot of people think vista is eating ram... when majority of it is going towards superfetch and precaching.. which ISN'T actually eating ram up at all....

Use areo glass? nock roughly 100mb of the ram, disable it, and your laughing if your THAT concerned about memory, specially in this day and age of 4gb ram and programs that can barely manage to use up 2gb of it due to 32bit limitiations.

Comment

My PC will have

Windows XP 32-bit
                      Windows Vista 32-bit
                      Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit

So most likely I will be using Vista 32-bit. 64-bit does not gain a big advantage and is more of a pain since there is still too much of a demand for 32-bit. Ubuntu will take advantage of my PC though.

Comment

there is currently zero reason to use 32bit vista over 64bit... unless you have a machine incapable of running 64bit....

Comment

Originally posted by DHJudas View Post
                          Everyone that uses vista.. and has used it properly, KNOWS that what you just stated is a complete LIE and complete ****, save us all from your BS and GTFO
                          What do you consider using Vista properly?

Comment

IE, installing official drivers, not trying to forcing something to work that was never intended.. (strange sounding, but tiss true, i've seen some really strange stuff)....

Making sure all your hardware and software is indeed listed as working with vista...

Making sure you have zero instability issues with your currently machine.

making sure you aren't using a name brand prebuilt machine, because 99% of those won't work.. and in some cases, some of the prebuilt with vista preloaded STILL WON'T WORK.

Comment

Ubuntu Linux

Originally posted by Str1der View Post
                              On which operating system do you plan to play UT3?
                              I'll be using Ubuntu Linux and I know of a bunch of others who will be too. We often have a UT LAN party night at my office and we're all using Ubuntu Linux. We've had up to 16 players in a game.

I hope it works well on my system. I can't wait.

-Joe

Comment

Originally posted by DHJudas View Post
                                IE, installing official drivers, not trying to forcing something to work that was never intended.. (strange sounding, but tiss true, i've seen some really strange stuff)....

Making sure all your hardware and software is indeed listed as working with vista...
                                But the problem is that most people have stuff that they bought before Vista. In my case it's a TV capture card and a gaming keyboard that don't work properly and lower end graphics card. Is it my fault, should I try to find better drivers? Maybe, but _my_ choice is not using Vista atm for everyday activities

Making sure you have zero instability issues with your currently machine.
                                Vista is quite stable on my PC

making sure you aren't using a name brand prebuilt machine, because 99% of those won't work...
                                Sorry, I can't understand what do you mean, language barrier. You mean for instance having an older Dell that came with XP, and now go to a store, buy Vista Upgrade and try to install?

Comment

Working...
                                X