X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this copyright infringment?

what do you guys think?

http://www.cafepress.com/justno.182545164

and if its not illegal than is it a sweet idea for a t-shirt or not?

well its Unreal related, and making money

so i would say yes, its illegal

Comment

its ludicrous

Comment

It's related, but you can't copy write a phrase like that, it's fair game.

If it had the logo or similar it would be a different story, but even then I think Epic would actually let it pass since it's free advertising for the game.

Comment

well if it was illegal to make money off of things that are just related than there really wouldnt be much out there to sell...

Comment

Originally posted by demivion View Post
            well if it was illegal to make money off of things that are just related than there really wouldnt be much out there to sell...
            Gaming sites make money from ads and registrations writing about games someone else made, it's perfectly legal and it's mutually beneficial, just like this t-shirt.

Comment

Who cares...

Comment

^^agreed in both of your posts. Not everything can be copyrighted. Phrases can be trademarked, but putting those phrases on a T-shirt can't limit Midway's ability to sell UT games.

Comment

I know that around here you can get band related T-shirts at market, complete with artwork relating to the band (logo's/album covers, etc) all they do is have a minor typo and its legal...

ie: My friend has a Kiss t-shirt, on the back it says, 'The Farwell Tour'

Regarding the link, I don't think its copyright, but law is a very debatable thing (thats how you get lawers ). Epic could easily sue them if they wanted, and depending on which lawyer presented a better argument, either side could win.

A case I saw relied solely on what 'adjacent to the road' meant. The lawyer convinced everyone that his client was innocent because of the use of the word adjacent... It all depends on who does the research and comes up with the more appealing argument.

Comment

I've only gotten up to monster kill... I think.

But does it really go "ludicrus" and "holy ****!!!"?

Comment

Let's turn this thread into "OMG Epic UT3 shirts pls"

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                        I know that around here you can get band related T-shirts at market, complete with artwork relating to the band (logo's/album covers, etc) all they do is have a minor typo and its legal...

ie: My friend has a Kiss t-shirt, on the back it says, 'The Farwell Tour'

Regarding the link, I don't think its copyright, but law is a very debatable thing (thats how you get lawers ). Epic could easily sue them if they wanted, and depending on which lawyer presented a better argument, either side could win.

A case I saw relied solely on what 'adjacent to the road' meant. The lawyer convinced everyone that his client was innocent because of the use of the word adjacent... It all depends on who does the research and comes up with the more appealing argument.

Epic wouldnt have a hope in hell of suing them for that shirt, nowhere does it say unreal tournament on it, and its just a bunch of random words.

Also, the title, "unreal t-shirt" isnt an infringement on copyright either because quite franky they can say its unreal, its a figure of speech.

Comment

Not sure if it would count as intellectual property, tbh. Mainly due not to the words themselves, but the order of the words replicated as they are in the Unreal series. They certainly aren't just a 'random' set of words, or you'd have to be retarded not to see the correllation. The t-shirt rocks and if anything would help promote the game if people came to ask about the origin of the words, based on the order they are in.

Comment

Epic wouldnt have a hope in hell of suing them for that shirt
                            Hmmm... yes they would (but they'd have to spend some money on it, cause a big hassle for the seller who is essentially advertising their product and not really stealing any money off them)

A lawyer could argue that the amount of words on the t shirt, the order their in, the way their spelt and the format on the t-shirt is too similar to that of Unreal Tournament. They also have proof considering the amount of jokes/sayings on here regarding "LUDICROUS KILL", etc there are (even threads pleading epic to re-introduce them into UT3.)

I'm not saying Epic would definitely win, just that they would have a decent shot at it. (FFS people have been sued over breathing each others air...)

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                              Hmmm... yes they would (but they'd have to spend some money on it, cause a big hassle for the seller who is essentially advertising their product and not really stealing any money off them)

A lawyer could argue that the amount of words on the t shirt, the order their in, the way their spelt and the format on the t-shirt is too similar to that of Unreal Tournament. They also have proof considering the amount of jokes/sayings on here regarding "LUDICROUS KILL", etc there are (even threads pleading epic to re-introduce them into UT3.)

I'm not saying Epic would definitely win, just that they would have a decent shot at it. (FFS people have been sued over breathing each others air...)
                              IANAL, but I do a lot of work with intellectual property studies. It's obvious that it comes from the game, and definitely, it is copyrighted. Under US copyright law, anything that is fixed in a medium is copyrighted. Since those phrases show up in the game, Epic holds a copyright over them.

The question, then, is whether or not it's fair use. There are four factors to test for fair use:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Since this is for commercial use--selling a t-shirt--there is a decent chance a judge might rule it as copyright infringement.

Comment

Working...
                              X