X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the editor / lighting / WYSIWYG

Sup yall,

I have a query for epic, or atleast a topic of discussion:

Will the new editor have a "what you see is what you get" style viewport, rendered in exactly the same way as the game will be, dynamically changed as you move lights/objects and change their properties? Or do we have to wait for the map to build, then go into the game and open up the map to see the changes? With all the new dynamic lighting etc, I think it would be essential to include some means of being able to tweak lights etc, and see the results of those tweaks in real time?

Also: on world detail 1, which alot of people play at purely out of preference for the added visibility, the lighting is noteably lighter, how is the general lighting effected at this detail level in relation to the lights used for the higher detail levels? I can imagine designing the level for the high detail levels, having it look great, then finding that it looks horrible on world detail 1 settings.

Thanks!

I cant see the editor being able to render everything in a viewport. Most likely it will be similar to prior iterations of the editor.

Comment

hmm, i hope not, i think the new engine features requite much greater functionality from the editor.. However since its the same tool as the devs use, im sure theyve put in something to streamline how you do the lighting etc..

Comment

I just hope that I can finally map for UT 3 and Night-Blade. Editor has been a lil too complciated for me =/.

Comment

I think UE is a lot easier to use than any other's I've seen, yes it does a number of stuff oddly but once you know how it's fast and easy to do it again, same as photoshop in many ways, in the beginning you're staring at all the menus dumb founded, once you've used each thing a couple of times you know what it all does and how to use em.

Comment

i read some where that the new editor has a new play test mode where you can play right in the editor. other than that though i dunno

EDIT:
            found it:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html...ogy/ue30.shtml

In-editor “Play Here” button puts gameplay just one mouse click and a fraction of a second away. Here, you can test gameplay in-editor in one window while modifying objects and rearranging geometry in another.

Comment

Editor has been a lil too complciated for me =/.
              Get the collectors edition with the vtm's. Ever do any mapping for UT2k3/2k4? (or try to?)

i read some where that the new editor has a new play test mode where you can play right in the editor. other than that though i dunno
              I stand corrected. Can't wait to try that out. No more staring at a splash screen only to receive an error for me

Hey, a pick of it in action
              http://www.unrealtechnology.com/scre...ayineditor.jpg

Comment

Um didn't the older versions allow you to WYSIWYG in the viewport?
                There were multible options on what it displayed.

Comment

dont think it was WYSIWYG, just a static (well the lighting was static anyway) approximation of that

Comment

Working...
                  X