Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Xvoid8f View Post
    There are people that are going to mod the game, and there are going to be fans that would follow those mods. Believe it or not, not all UT players are hardcore gamers. I don't think that every single UT player knows or cares what mods are or how they work.
    one only needs to go as far as the server browser to experience gameplay not created by epic. "hardcore" gaming not required. some things, like a br mod won't be there, but you can experience something far removed from epic's game just under the stock gametype tabs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wasser View Post
    that mindset just doesn't work with UT. perhaps it does with halo3 - i've no idea the ability to modify and create content for that game. with UT, epic gives everyone the power to create a simple mutator to a complete conversion.
    There are people that are going to mod the game, and there are going to be fans that would follow those mods. Believe it or not, not all UT players are hardcore gamers. I don't think that every single UT player knows or cares what mods are or how they work.

Take an average casual gamer that doesn't understand the concept of a mod. He or she will navigate through the provided in-game menus and play the game.

This doesn't only apply to casual gamers too. I played mods myself during Quake 2, such as Jail Break and Qpong. They were a bit fun at first, but most mods were quirky, lacked assets, always in BETA, etc. I will not rule out mods, but I have no interest in following them.

With that said, I want the population of players--casual, or those interested in Epic-provided modes--to not be so spread-out across too many modes. In any event, I am not worried because I am confident there will always be a near-full DM or Warfare server out there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    theres a thread about BR already silly :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xvoid8f View Post
    The general idea is that I want to focus the player population on a set of fewer game modes. I don't want to have every game mode in the UT series to be in this game. The population would be spread too thin.
    that mindset just doesn't work with UT. perhaps it does with halo3 - i've no idea the ability to modify and create content for that game. with UT, epic gives everyone the power to create a simple mutator to a complete conversion. so, it really doesn't matter what epic ships in the box. if there is a demand for something and folks willing to create it, then it'll be there like it or not.

as for it not being included, i'm not bothered as i didn't really care for it, but i'm confident and happy to know that those who want it will be getting it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't mind that BR or Dom aren't included in UT3 - the third party community will take over on that end.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry to say this, but my take on it is that I am glad Bombing Run is not included. The general idea is that I want to focus the player population on a set of fewer game modes. I don't want to have every game mode in the UT series to be in this game. The population would be spread too thin.

I like how Halo 3 introduced the randomly generated game type for matches. Some game modes are pretty good design-wise, such as Oddball, but it is harder to find players for it who have decent connections relative to yourself. However, I do not want UT to have forced game modes, and as such, I do not want to have every game mode under the sun to be supported by default. I reiterate that my theory is this thins out the base population too much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bombingrun owns! I'm keeping my eyes on bombingrun.org

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Catzenjaeger View Post
    no BR comes not official. we will publish br as an mod shortley after realese of the fullversion
    look to another bombingrun thread or on the Bombingrun community website: www.BombingRun.org
    So have you guys figured out how to recreate BR to make it play the same way it did in UT2k4?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Solace View Post
    Well, you can probably easily make a Warfare map with a winning objective of "bring X to Y"... the only hard part would be making it act like the bombing run ball.
    Exactly, that's what i meant by "Epic giving us the necessary tools" to create a br mod %100 identical to the one released with UT2k4. They said the didn't have time to create a half dozen maps, but what about maps created by the public? They had a map contest before, why couldn't they do something like that with BR?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, you can probably easily make a Warfare map with a winning objective of "bring X to Y"... the only hard part would be making it act like the bombing run ball.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bravo77 View Post
    I still can't get over the fact that my favorite mode (BR) will not be included with this new UT release. I feel as though Epic/Midway could have made BR a huge thing in gaming. The fusion between sports and fps seemed like a wonderful thing to lots of people, that why alot of clans (even now) enjoy playing BR.

Having said this, i would like to know if Epic/Midway will provide players who mostly play UT just for BR the necessary tools to create BR maps. I know there will be some mods to try and replicate BR, but what about the ball physics and other minor details that would take a while for the average modder to deal with?

In a interview conducted by Voodoo Extreme a few months ago the question was asked:

By the way - why did you drop "Bombing Run" in UT3?

Jeff Morris - It just didn't have the player count to justify developing a half-dozen maps for. We decided to dedicate the considerable amount of time it takes to make a UT3 map to gametypes that a majority of our customers play.

Does that mean that BR can be something that will be added on in a future patch? Maybe i'm wrong, but it seemed to me the BR was one of the most popular modes in ut2k4. The fact that it was something "fresh and fun" especially compared to the typical dm/ctf modes made me a fan of BR instantly.
    no BR comes not official. we will publish br as an mod shortley after realese of the fullversion
    look to another bombingrun thread or on the Bombingrun community website: www.BombingRun.org

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Bombing Run Question

Bombing Run Question

I still can't get over the fact that my favorite mode (BR) will not be included with this new UT release. I feel as though Epic/Midway could have made BR a huge thing in gaming. The fusion between sports and fps seemed like a wonderful thing to lots of people, that why alot of clans (even now) enjoy playing BR.

Having said this, i would like to know if Epic/Midway will provide players who mostly play UT just for BR the necessary tools to create BR maps. I know there will be some mods to try and replicate BR, but what about the ball physics and other minor details that would take a while for the average modder to deal with?

In a interview conducted by Voodoo Extreme a few months ago the question was asked:

By the way - why did you drop "Bombing Run" in UT3?

Jeff Morris - It just didn't have the player count to justify developing a half-dozen maps for. We decided to dedicate the considerable amount of time it takes to make a UT3 map to gametypes that a majority of our customers play.

Does that mean that BR can be something that will be added on in a future patch? Maybe i'm wrong, but it seemed to me the BR was one of the most popular modes in ut2k4. The fact that it was something "fresh and fun" especially compared to the typical dm/ctf modes made me a fan of BR instantly.
Working...
X