The "I am liking it more as I play it", thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "I am liking it more as I play it", thread

When I first played the PC demo, I was indifferent. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it enough to say that it was the awesomest thing ever.

I read the forum threads on the updated movement. I didn't notice much because I kind of stop playing UT when 2003 came around. I played UT99 a ton. In the UT2K3 era, my computer was not up to speed, and I kinda fell out of the UT scene. When I upgraded my computer around that era, UT2K4 was out. I played the Onslaught mode more than the Deathmatch. I didn't play much deathmatch because I didn't like it as much.

But now I've been playing UT3 over the past few days. Each time I play it, I am liking the outcome of the games more and more. Every now and then, something will occur, such as the outcome of an interesting firefight, or learning how to shoot grenades from the rocket launcher. Even the jump boots... I liked how much more valuable the jump boots are since the regular jump is more grounded.

Overall, I think everything in the game comes together perfectly. The damage powerup in Shangri La is harder to get because you cant just double jump, or do a dodge-jump from the ground or nearby bridge. But, when you do get a chance to get the powerup, it is well earned. So far, the grounded jump relates to two things I've already mentioned:

1) the greater emphasis on the jump boots
    2) greater reward for reaching hard-to-reach areas

I also think the weapons are balanced because I find myself using pretty much all weapons equally. I would change from the bio-rifle any chance I got when playing previous UT games. But in UT3, I will gladly use the bio-rifle, mostly because the devastation caused when sticking somebody with a full blob.

The flak cannon seems harder to use, which, for me, is a good thing. I would use that weapon any chance I got in UT99 because it was a brutal weapon (at least when I use it).

The chaingun/stinger/whatever it's called now seems harder to hit people as well. But it also seems that each bullet that hits the person is also more powerful. I have faith that it is balanced even though I am not quite used to it yet.

I any case, the weapons are easy to get to in the demo maps so far. Even if you could not get a weapon, the default pistol seems pretty good for a starting weapon. So it seems that the maps compliment the weapon placement, and the weapons themselves when fired. Nothing seems too close, and yet nothing seems to far.

Everything I've mentioned here were things I did not notice the first time I played it. So, I dedicate this thread to the players who can recognize that UT3 is a well-balanced and perfected action-oriented FPS. The player-movement complements the maps which complements the weapons which complements the base player health which complements the firefights which in turn complements the player-movement again.

i agree. the demo is fun :P now where is my campaign ??!?!?!

Comment

Agreed. At first glance it's not that impressive. But after playing it awhile I really start noticing and appreciating a lot of little things that after awhile add up into a pretty fun game. And to the OP I notice the Flak primary seems more effective at mid-range now and a good trick to get the double damage is to hammer jump. Which I love to do.

Comment

me too,

i hated some changes on weapons...but now after playing for 2 weeks, all changed. The game is becoming awesome, can't wait for the full game...or another demo.

Comment

Originally posted by iron12 View Post
          And to the OP I notice the Flak primary seems more effective at mid-range now and a good trick to get the double damage is to hammer jump. Which I love to do.
          I never thought of that. Actually, I just saw that HeatRay trick video from these forums. I have to go and learn these tricks such as what locations that can be reached from certain platforms, hammer jumps, etc. I will have to start a local server and practice sometime

Comment

I've just recently taking a liking to the new movement/maps for DM/TDM. I think this is because it's more of a "learn the map" type of game, instead of "learn your character's movement" type llike UT2k4 was. Just a different style in general. I know Epic was trying for a game that won't have 1-2 maps that everyones on, but I see that happening for sure. With this "learn the map" style of play, I don't see myself straying too far from those "perfectly made maps."

can't wait for instagib ctf!

Comment

This is called, adaptation and learning to flow with change. This is a good thing, ideally more people should do this.

Comment

I loved it from the first frag, but 'eff yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
                  This is called, adaptation and learning to flow with change. This is a good thing, ideally more people should do this.
                  agreed to

Comment

Working...
                  X