Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yay Im done!! Can you please tell me if I picked the right things :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay Im done!! Can you please tell me if I picked the right things :)

Yay! After 3 days of research and a lot of headache, I am ready to buy the parts and build my first PC (well upgrade ).
    I needed something small so I can take it with me when I move to different cities (im going to college ). Things I need to upgrade are mobo, cpu, ram, case and video card. Id like to have a machine I can use for occasional gaming.. hopefully this machine will last me 2-3 years =)

Here are my choices:
    CPU $270: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
    is this the good one? I hope it includes the heatsink/fan/thermal compound stuff

Case $30: Compucase 6K28 mATX Case BLACK/SILVER 2X5.25 2X3.5 1X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
    I dont need a power supply I already have a 485W one.. and I need a mini case, audio/usb outlets in the front and this has it all. I just dont know if this case will fit my mobo/cpu/fan.. Im really scared it wont especially cause of that black thing jutting out at the side - then again I have no depth perception lol. And I have never used usb/audio connectors at the front.. are they hard to setup or need anything special? Pictures are at One Two Three and the Front. Its specs are here. Also I have 3 hard drives (might get one more later) and a CDRom drive.. no floppy drive. Will this fit it all? I dont mind if my hard drive sits in a CDRom slot :laugh:

Motherboard ASUS P5K-VM mATX LGA775 G33 DDR2 1PCI-E16 2PCI 1PCI-E4 SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard http://www.tddirect.ca/products/113677/P5K-VM/ASUS/

Ram $98: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory

Video card: $286 EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card

Are all these things compatible with each other? I tried my best to make sure they are.. but Id hate to miss something small and end up having to return things then wait for them to arrive etc etc etc

And is it easy to setup the audio/USB ports in the front of my case? Does my motherboard have those options?

Thank you all kindly

Too Many Threads and Not Enough Relevance makes Ceil something something...

Comment

A third thread? *facepalm*

Your parts look nice but it's always a gamble what fits into small cases, the CPU has a quite small cooler stock so that's fine, the only thing I'm concerned about is the video card frankly, that thing is big and I don't know if it fits in your case, but if it doesn't you can return it to the store.

It's very easy to set up your ports, and yes your mobo has the port you need to hook up the USB and audio.

Comment

That system looks pretty nice if you can get the card to fit in the case. Not sure what everyone will need to play ut3 perfectly as the game is not out yet. I know you didn't ask that but still.. I think i will wait untill it's release to upgrade.

Comment

maybe waiting a week or so will pay off

Well holding off a few weeks could be a very good thing.

The first review of a refference 8800gt has just surfaced so the card will not be far off the market.

It performs better than the 8800gts 640, 2900 and just under the 8800gtx - it also has 512 ram

Not to mention it uses 65nm process, so it will generate much less heat and require less juice to power it (8800gts & gtx are 90nm)

some think the card will hit shelves on the 29th this month, so maybe the wait wouldnt be so long.

From the looks of its guts it doesnt look like it will be too pricey - it should also shunt down the price of the 8800gts 640 (320mb is being dropped from the lineup).

8800gt vs 8800gts
          Review - translated

of course if you dont give a cr*p, ya that will be a good setup

Comment

No soundcard? Awwww

Comment

Is that power supply enough for all that high end hardware?
              If so, I don't need to worry with my 600W PS...would save some money

Comment

Originally posted by Ceil View Post
                Too Many Threads and Not Enough Relevance makes Ceil something something...
                What threehouse of horror number was this from again?

Comment

You definitely want to invest in a solid PSU. Otherwise good choices all round. Might have been worth pushing for an 8800GTX for longevity though.

Comment

Why are you getting a quad core with a 8800GTS 320MB ?!!

Get a good dual core like an e6700 and a 8800GTS 640 or a 8800GTX !

Comment

Worst PC i have ever seen in my entire life, this won't run UT3 at all.

Comment

looks good ..

agree with comments tho:

1. 600w psu necessary
                        2. bigger case = better
                        3. get dual-core cpu, use savings for 8800gts 640mb

Comment

a 600 watt is definitely not necessary. i think a 500W is perfectly fine with your setup, as long as it covers the amps needed...make sure to check that out. the quad core might not be worth the buy, because it will be expensive and they arent as far along in development as the dual core. you won't see solid quad core systems for another year i would think. mainstream quadcore systems will be even longer. could be better to get the gtx, or save the cash for something else.

i have the evga 8800 gts 320mb card too, it works really well. however, with the smaller case, it may be difficult to fit in there. i understand you want to be able to move it around, but it is well worth getting a bigger case.

that video card runs for me at about 60-70 degrees celsius between idle and load, and in a tight case it will have less air to work with. it could be a problem which can be detrimental to gameplay and the system itself. so be careful with airflow and venting/cooling. hope that helps.

Comment

p.s. i think it looks like a strong system

Comment

I believe 600w is rec. for 8800gts, you're right tho 500w would run that fine ... no SLI future with it though

Comment

Working...
                              X