Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between SATA2 and SATA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between SATA2 and SATA?

Im confused >_<

1.5GB/s and 3.0GB/s, clear enough?

Uses the same cable and connector, but the bus is faster.

Comment

but i mean.. will having sata2 improve the speed of my hard drives? or are the hard drives themselves the current bottleneck?

Comment

You need both a SATA2 mobo and SATA2 drives to get any benefit, most new drives and mobos are SATA2, it's listed in their specs.

Comment

I'm not sure why this post is on a UT3 forum... try Tom's Hardware or AnandTech or a real computer forum please.

Comment

The forums are filled with these kind of posts... I do understand epic's stance against OT posts (anything not relating to their games) and i can see why they have that rule, but sometimes, these things are somehow related as well. The new HDD he's buying could be for UT3, after all.

Comment

Most new drive models these days are Sata 3.0gbs (Sata2) and most new motherboard models support this. The drives themselves aren't really faster but if you've got multiple dives the extra speed helps when copying files from one drive to another or running RAID setups. You can run SATA1 drives on SATA2 boards and vice versa.

In short, just get everything SATA 3.0GBs and you'll be up to the latest tech.

Comment

You only actually benefit from SATA2 mobo's if you use RAID0. Because the current hd's cant ever get to the speed of 3.0 Gbs (some people write GBs but it's Gbs).
                3.0 Gbs = 0.375 GBs or just 375 MB a second. A normal harddisk goes to about 75/100 MB a second. With 4 or more harddisks in RAID0 setting you benefit from the technology.
                Nevertheless sometimes buying SATA2 is cheaper because SATA isn't nearly being produced as much as SATA. Just try to go for the cheapest solution!

Comment

I don't know what all this exposition is about. It's obvious to me; one has a 2 at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
                    You only actually benefit from SATA2 mobo's if you use RAID0. Because the current hd's cant ever get to the speed of 3.0 Gbs (some people write GBs but it's Gbs).
                    3.0 Gbs = 0.375 GBs or just 375 MB a second. A normal harddisk goes to about 75/100 MB a second. With 4 or more harddisks in RAID0 setting you benefit from the technology.
                    Nevertheless sometimes buying SATA2 is cheaper because SATA isn't nearly being produced as much as SATA. Just try to go for the cheapest solution!
                    There is no advantage using raid on games using modern hardware.

Raid only helps where you have data storage and data transfer. Data backup, data aquisition, and data transfer to a hard drive applications.

Comment

you want faster hard drives?
                      Raid a couple of Western Digital Raptor drives together, that way UT3 will load a lot quicker.

(You see how I got this thread to relate to UT3?)

Comment

Originally posted by SetOfAllSets View Post
                        I don't know what all this exposition is about. It's obvious to me; one has a 2 at the end.
                        SATA =150
                        SATA2 = 300
                        SATA2 plugged into a pci slot = 150

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                          You need both a SATA2 mobo and SATA2 drives to get any benefit, most new drives and mobos are SATA2, it's listed in their specs.
                          But you can mix SATA and SATA2 mobos and drives and they'll work fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
                            Quoted for truth.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
                              But you can mix SATA and SATA2 mobos and drives and they'll work fine?
                              Yes but you lack the benefit of the added speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X