Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me choose a good micro ATX motherboard! (For QuadCore 6600 CPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me choose a good micro ATX motherboard! (For QuadCore 6600 CPU)

Im quite the newbie at this.. can anyone please recommend a good motherboard to use ?

The site I am buying from does not have the specs for all the boards which makes it extremely frustrating to find something >_<

Originally posted by vaxop23 View Post
    Im quite the newbie at this.. can anyone please recommend a good motherboard to use ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...chInDesc=micro

even if you don't want to buy there that list shows a number of different once, compare and make your own decision, I'm ATX only myself.

Comment

Christ, I'm going to sound like a noob:

*rolleyes*

Whats ATX and why do you only use ATX?

Comment

It's a motherboard form factor, it's bigger and has more stuff on it in general, more SATA connectors more PCI-(e) ports etc, I got a ATX case so having a mATX mobo would be a waste of space.

Comment

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=247121

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...chInDesc=micro

even if you don't want to buy there that list shows a number of different once, compare and make your own decision, I'm ATX only myself.
            of course he'd want to buy from newegg.. x;

Comment

Originally posted by kisk View Post
              of course he'd want to buy from newegg.. x;
              They don't ship outside the US, so it's useless for the vast majority of people.

Comment

sadly thats not micro atx >_<

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                  They don't ship outside the US, so it's useless for the vast majority of people.
                  never lived outside the us, so I suppose i never noticed. ;x

Comment

sorry bout that miss read it

Comment

Is it just me, or has the General Discussion forum just turned into Tech Support central?

Comment

Does seem that way da ghost... but regardless I'll throw in my opinion.

I just built a system with a quad core and an 8800 GTX. I ended up going for the ASUS P5K-VM. Its been really solid and it had a long heavy LAN session to help test it and no problems. Don't expect too much though from it in terms of slots though, you'll get one PCIe slot for your graphics and one PCI slot for a soundcard. Most mAtx motherboards are like that but as long as you aren't going over the top you'll be fine.

Check out the rest of the specs on the Asus site just to make sure their is nothing that will make you kick yourself if you buy it. Also its worth noting that 99% of all mAtx boards have onboard video, so you'll most likely end up with it even if you don't want it. If you find that 1% that doesn't then please drop me a message!

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gentleman

Comment

Well of course it will before the game is out, everyone wants to run it!
                          Yeah it sucks that newegg doesn't ship outside the US, if it did (and with gift wrapping) it'd make a fortune!
                          Everything here in the UK is really expensive and its hard to avoid tax if you import it, you might end up paying more (hence the gift wrapping).

Comment

I'm using an ASUS P5K-VM, which is basically the best micro-ATX board you can buy atm. It handles all current Intel stuff right up to the QX6850, and will run up to 8GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm currently running one with a Q6700 and 4GB of DDR2-800. The only downside of this board is that it doesn't have on-board RAID, but I guess if you're working in a micro-ATX case you probably won't have much room for multiple HDDs anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X