No announcement yet.

Poor people with poor computers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I don't suppose you know how ATi (AMD, I guess) is getting along with Linux nowadays?
    ATI drivers on Linux suck, if your on Linux the only way to go is nVidia, there is no question, have a read of some forums.

I hear they're getting better, but I don't know how much better,
    Yes, they are getting better, but only because they couldn't get any worse.

ATi drivers have ALWAYS been better than Nvidia's drivers IIRC. I don't know if it's because ATi has a good driver team or if Nvidia has a bad driver team. I think it's the latter.
    As far as Linux goes, that's absolute BS, it will take you all of a couple of minutes reading Linux forums to see how far off the mark that statement is.

Comment

I've been gaming since I was born, and since then, Nvidia has always had better graphics. Now maybe AMD will change that, and try to erase the stereotypical ATI sucks.

Go look at video card benchmarks and see who comes out on top. Nvidia in my opinion goes alot farther than ATI.

As for systems, the Dell Refurb outlet has a TON of machines that are cheaper, and all you need (sometimes) is to change out either a video card or Sound card (for better quality). You can get Desktops from $239 and up.

Comment

For about £400 - £500 you can get a semi decent Dell that will run UT3, if your not willing to invest loads. Hell, my work computer runs UT3 on decent settings with a Dual Core Athlon, 1GB RAM and an ATi X1300.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceil View Post
          When I build my new computer, it's going to have all ****-good quality parts inside. I'd rather wait a year and build the rig I listed than wait two months and build a "decent" box.

Also, I don't suppose you know how ATi (AMD, I guess) is getting along with Linux nowadays? I hear they're getting better, but I don't know how much better, and I don't want to spend $300 on a video card just to find out the drivers suck and have to RMA it <_<
          This is a bit dated, but very informative.
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=735&num=1

Comment

I have been putting money away for the past year and just bought my new PC... c'mon folks you all knew this game was coming out like 3 years ago. You've had plenty of time to work this out.

Get a job, save $ then buy

Comment

I'm looking to fork out around £1400 for a high spec gaming desktop.

Water cooled casing
              Intel Quad Core processor
              4GB Ram
              Nvidia or ATI card.........still deciding.

Its a lotta dosh to shell out so I'm taking my time, especially on the video card decision.

Greetz
              Piley

Comment

Originally posted by esulcer View Post
                ATI drivers on Linux suck, if your on Linux the only way to go is nVidia, there is no question, have a read of some forums.

Yes, they are getting better, but only because they couldn't get any worse.

As far as Linux goes, that's absolute BS, it will take you all of a couple of minutes reading Linux forums to see how far off the mark that statement is.
                Eh, that's what I thought. I'll ask around a bit more, but what you're sayin' goes with what I know. I've only seen one example of a Linuxian ATi increase in performance; I think it was an FPS test where it went from around 3 to the 30's with a new driver. This was a while back, though, so I could be mistaken. Either way, nvidia was still far ahead.

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                This is a bit dated, but very informative.
                http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=735&num=1
                Cheers, I'll read that in a bit

Comment

Things may change, ATI has recently given out quite a bit of previously unobtainable information to people who write open source drivers for Linux, sort of opening it up a bit. But they say that will take quite some time. But that doesn't mean that much, as the open nVidia driver is pants compared to the official nVidia. ATI should just get there act together a bit more (which they may be doing) and get it to work a lot bet for Linux users who do have ATI cards. But as it stands, nVidia is what most recomend for Linux, as it works much better at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pileyrei View Post
                    I'm looking to fork out around £1400 for a high spec gaming desktop.

Water cooled casing
                    Intel Quad Core processor
                    4GB Ram
                    Nvidia or ATI card.........still deciding.

Its a lotta dosh to shell out so I'm taking my time, especially on the video card decision.

Greetz
                    Piley
                    Euros? Dosh? Greetz? What crazy civilization do you come from? France?!

But on a more serious note, I think I'd go with ATI if I were you. It just seems like more of the newer top-end games work more fluidly with ATI, especially UT3. I've been an Nvidia fan most of my career but I just am losing hope as time goes on...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyInfamous View Post
                      Euros? Dosh? Greetz? What crazy civilization do you come from? France?!
                      Uhm, £ is british pound, € is euro <_<

Comment

What happens to the poor unfortunate noobs who can't even run the demo?
                        They go back to runescape

Comment

Originally posted by RoGv3 View Post
                          They go back to runescape
                          What if my computer doesn't run runescape?

(Wow, I remember when I had that issue... those were the good ol' days...)

Comment

Originally posted by Number1SuperGuy View Post
                            What if my computer doesn't run runescape?

(Wow, I remember when I had that issue... those were the good ol' days...)
                            if runescape doenst work, say hello to Windows Solitare,lmao

Comment

It really does suck being financially challenged at this time of year. Not only do we have to worry about getting our loved ones Christmas gifts but we have to budget for all the new games coming out and also have to upgrade our PCs or buy new ones and for us hardcore gaming enthusiasts that is not cheap at all. I have to admit I envy the folks who can afford the quad CPU and SLI GPU powered Super Rigs ... it really must be nice. And yes I know I should be thankful for the system I have ... it isn't the best around but it definitely is far from the worst as well.

Comment

What happens to the poor unfortunate noobs who can't even run the demo?
                                You can find the Unreal Anthology
                                or get a job to afford a new computer (since you have spare time to play, you have spare time to work)

Comment

Working...
                                X