Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help critique a newbie's PC component upgrade choices!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help critique a newbie's PC component upgrade choices!

Hello good sirs. I have a old computer, I wanted to upgrade most things and make it compact and small so I can take it with me when I move to different cities (im going to college ). Things I need to upgrade are mobo, cpu, ram, case and video card.

Here are my choices:
    CPU $270: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
    is this the good one? I hope it includes the heatsink/fan/thermal compound stuff

Case $30: Compucase 6K28 mATX Case BLACK/SILVER 2X5.25 2X3.5 1X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
    I dont need a power supply I already have a 450Watt one.. and I need a mini case, audio/usb outlets in the front and this has it all. I just dont know if this case will fit my mobo/cpu/fan.. Im really scared it wont especially cause of that black thing jutting out at the side - then again I have no depth perception lol. And I have never used usb/audio connectors at the front.. are they hard to setup or need anything special? Pictures are at One Two Three and the Front. Its specs are here. Also I have 3 hard drives (might get one more later) and a CDRom drive.. no floppy drive. Will this fit it all? I dont mind if my hard drive sits in a CDRom slot XD

Motherboard $108: INTEL - MOTHERBOARDS MATX MBD S775 1333 DDR2 PCIE VID GETH VIIV
    I have NO idea about motherboards.. I picked this fellow because the price was ok and I guess it has the things I need on it.. I hope >_<)

Ram $98: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory
    Same thing as the motherboard pretty much.. dont know if this is ok o_O)

Video card:
    No idea.. my budget is about $200-250 for this I guess.. I dont know which to get. So many colors!

Please help me... I dont know if the things are all compatible with each other or if they are good choices >_<

Thank you

You will get lots of opinions on your config - my input would be as follows: don't cut corners on video or everything else is a waste of time (if you're building a gaming rig). This doesn't mean you have to blow your brains out, but you should budget about $100 more. Personally, I would go with either an nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (640MB) or ATI HD 2900 PRO 1GB (which can overclocked to XT - currently the fastest model).

The second piece of input I have would be that this system is going to run hot and will need very good ventilation...I think that case has a side-fan duct which is good, but I would spring for a bit higher-end case with more airflow (and bigger in size) if possible - shouldn't cost much more...

Comment

The only reason I have a small case is cause I need to move it in a suitcase on a plane >_<

Comment

lol...oh ok. ...well just make sure then that the rear exhaust fan & side-fan move plenty of air and you should be fine.

Comment

is cause I need to move it in a suitcase on a plane >_<
          why not get a computer when you get to college?

I'm not up with american prices, but I agree with Envy, however, if you need to save a bob or two, go for the 320MB version of the 8800GTS (unless you're playing on a really big screen).

I'm worried about your case, try aim for a bigger one, with lots of cooling.

Comment

Get a faster CPU. For around the same amount of money you can get an E6850. It may only be Dual Core but it will out perform the Q6600. The best performance will come from a Quad Core Extreme (QX6850 and QX6950 when Intel release it), but they are far from cheap.

I would also advise you to go bigger than 320GB for a graphics card and stick to the 8800 range.

Make sure you have a decent PSU. This is extremely important. Go for a well known reliable make. The worst thing you can do is buy a cheap high wattage PSU as they will blow and take some hardware with them to that giant motherboard in the sky and I'm speaking from experience.

Comment

FYI, you can get a mid tower case into a large suitcase for transport, I've done it. If you do that then you have a lot more options on motherboards and cases.

More info on that case....
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121003

If you do stick with a case like that get the fastest(move the most air) fans you can find and put some sort of fan speed adjust on them to keep them quiet when you don't need the cooling.

Edit: and example of a mid tower int hat price range....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119115

Comment

high speed fan
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835129238

Fan control....
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811998129

Edit: oh and that case you picked, if you do go with that if you can take a dremmel tool (or something) and cut the mesh out over the fan port. That style grid really restricts airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by vaxop23 View Post

Case $30: Compucase 6K28 mATX Case BLACK/SILVER 2X5.25 2X3.5 1X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
                  I dont need a power supply I already have a 450Watt one.. and I need a mini case, audio/usb outlets in the front and this has it all. I just dont know if this case will fit my mobo/cpu/fan.. Im really scared it wont especially cause of that black thing jutting out at the side - then again I have no depth perception lol. And I have never used usb/audio connectors at the front.. are they hard to setup or need anything special?

Motherboard $108: INTEL - MOTHERBOARDS MATX MBD S775 1333 DDR2 PCIE VID GETH VIIV
                  I have NO idea about motherboards.. I picked this fellow because the price was ok and I guess it has the things I need on it.. I hope >_<)

Ram $98: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory
                  Same thing as the motherboard pretty much.. dont know if this is ok o_O)

Video card:
                  No idea.. my budget is about $200-250 for this I guess.. I dont know which to get. So many colors!

Please help me... I dont know if the things are all compatible with each other or if they are good choices >_<

Thank you

#1 You had better double check that power supply to see if it has the correct power plugs and enough 12v current for the MB+GFX.

#2 Most performance video cards are huge and barely fit in a full size mid tower case. I think you will have a real problem finding a good card that will fit in that micro mini case. You better find out the internal dimensions limit for the card before you buy one that's too big.

Comment

$235 after Mail-in rebate:

http://e3wwwtest.newegg.com/Product/...82E16814122022

Comment

hate to break it to ya but that 450w PSU won't be anywhere near enough for the kind of power demands a core 2 duo/quad + higher end video card will place on your system. I would say 650-800 to be safe.

why do you "need" a mini case? that's just asking for trouble.

Comment

A 450W is really not enough for a quad core/video card?

Comment

A 450 isn't even enough for my system, and it's a single core AMD + 7900 GTX.

Comment

Ok i guess ill get a 650W >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Conroy View Post
                              Get a faster CPU. For around the same amount of money you can get an E6850. It may only be Dual Core but it will out perform the Q6600. The best performance will come from a Quad Core Extreme (QX6850 and QX6950 when Intel release it), but they are far from cheap.

I would also advise you to go bigger than 320GB for a graphics card and stick to the 8800 range.

Make sure you have a decent PSU. This is extremely important. Go for a well known reliable make. The worst thing you can do is buy a cheap high wattage PSU as they will blow and take some hardware with them to that giant motherboard in the sky and I'm speaking from experience.

qft...im getting the dual core, and its smokin. BTW, get a board that will support a higher FSB because the e6850 is 1333 FSB. make sure that ur ram operates closely to the same FSB as your board and cpu. dont see info on your hdd, get a hard drive that releases 300m/s isntead of 150. lots of gamers will tell you that 10,000 rpm is important, and it is as long as you can let information flow faster through your sata connection. i using three 500g/b hardrives that spin at 7,200, but they transfer faster than most regular hard drives at 150m/s. once again, intel's board are kinda week for certain acc. stuff. might think about asus or msi for your rig....g/l

Comment

Working...
                              X