No announcement yet.

lighting gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always felt the LG was weaker than the traditional Sniper Rifle. No complaints here for leaving the LG out.

Comment

Look at the source code, they are the SAME, just different models and effects.

Comment

I can understand that people that came on board UT2003 misses the LG, same as everyone who came on board in U1/UT missed the sniper in UT2003, I myself fall into the latter category so I prefer the sniper, it just feel more powerful to have a rifle you actually operate with your hands instead of auto reload that puts a big metal slug through your opponents cranium, having a weapon that just shoots a bolt of electricity doesn't feel as bad ***.

Comment

Originally posted by UrFatMom View Post
          But a FPS without snipe campers is not a real FPS
          For exemple like in Face the World ctf.
          That's just a bizzare opinion. It's an FPS regardless of camping and sniping and spamming. Personally I'm all for camping and sniping, and everyone spams to some extent. But camping/sniping won't often net you the successful kill rate, but it's often safer. It all totally depends on what type of gameplay you want to have.

You might snipe for awhile, then go beserk and get all in-their-face. That's the beauty of this game (and many other games) - you can do either.

I had a friend who, in the heady days of Unreal, before UT came out, used to always grab the Toxic Suit in Deck16, and go lurking in the slime pit in the center of the map, waiting for people to come down there. He'd snipe the ones that did.

He didn't get the most kill counts, but he had a lot of fun doing that. Often people would try to dive in after him, oblivious to the need for the Toxic Suit. They'd get all ticked off and die all the time. We'd start laughing, watching them do that.

Then the others would start cussing at him, and a few would ask him, how'd he get down there. Well he'd tell them they have to press Alt-B to Breathe. Naturally they'd try it, and die seconds later. And they'd cuss at him again and try to frag him.

I'm just saying, not everyone plays the game with the same intention, or has fun the same way.

Comment

I like LG simply because...oh I dunno...the game is called Unreal and I like UNREAL weapons

We have a gun that creates a small isolated black hole. Oh wait, let me whip out this antique weapon that still shots 500yr old projectiles.

Comment

Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
              That is totally bogus. Try telling that to the many Sniper arena clans out there that are still going on to this day in both UT and UT2004 and soon to be in UT3. How many LG arena clans or servers are out there? NONE. So, your statement doesn't hold an ounce of water.
              The sniper was rarely used in 2k3/2k4 TDM/DM, if at all. There were mutators that replaced the sniper in the few maps that didn't have the LG.

The couple of remaining 2k4 sniper servers cater to a few select UT1 players who couldn't let go of an "out of place" weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by GG-Xtreme View Post
                Sound is different as well.

You sound like you think that's a subtle difference. Sound, look, discharge visuals, etc.. create a feel entirely different then the sniper.

Not to mention the ROF, damage done, and LG splinter bolts.

Comment

who wants to start taking bets that someone mods the lg for ut3 within 6 months of release? thats the great thing about the unreal series ( with the exception of unreal championship 2); if its not in the game, you can make it and put it in the game with a little effort and learning.
                  your time is better spent learning utscript and maya/3ds than sensless trolling/flaming. (not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation.)

Comment

Originally posted by stoker6 View Post
                    The sniper was rarely used in 2k3/2k4 TDM/DM, if at all. There were mutators that replaced the sniper in the few maps that didn't have the LG. The couple of remaining 2k4 sniper servers cater to a few select UT1 players who couldn't let go of an "out of place" weapon.
                    A weapon that's in far more Unreal games than it's not. Only 2 Unreal games vs 6 that have it. Hmmm.

Sound is different as well. You sound like you think that's a subtle difference. Sound, look, discharge visuals, etc.. create a feel entirely different then the sniper. Not to mention the ROF, damage done, and LG splinter bolts.
                    I agree the LG was an overall better weapon than the Snipey. The LG had it's faults, too. It sounded weak. I never understood why it didn't have a thunderous sound to it. It's not like the weapon was designed to hide the shooter. It was basically a fizzling sound. Very disappointing.

The 2k4 Snipey didn't sound too bad, but it had that assinine puff of smoke, and it was given less damage per shot. The one cool thing about the LG was the random splinter bolts.

I've never said an LG doesn't have a place in an Unreal game, btw. I just think the Snipey always has a place. And the sheer amount of Unreal games with the Snipey proves I'm right. But we don't need two identical weapons in this game.

Originally posted by porcup!ne View Post
                    who wants to start taking bets that someone mods the lg for ut3 within 6 months of release? thats the great thing about the unreal series ( with the exception of unreal championship 2); if its not in the game, you can make it and put it in the game with a little effort and learning. your time is better spent learning utscript and maya/3ds than sensless trolling/flaming. (not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation.)
                    If someone does make an LG for UT3, let's hope they make it sound worth a darn. I'd also like to see a Ripper. (evil, EVIL, robot grin)

Comment

Originally posted by GG-Xtreme View Post
                      Which is why there was no good reason for Epic to leave one of them out. Variety is the spice of life! I agree that the LG was a bit "spammy"... but the recharge thing made it a bit more powerful...

perhaps a super-lightning gun would be cool, that strikes down on a player and fries them until they gib....

Then Shang Tsung can scream "FATALITY!"

Comment

Originally posted by 3NVY View Post
                        UT just wouldn't be UT without the rifle - especially CTF (and I could right novels as to why)...that said, the day it's gone, I'm gone...
                        QFT

I couldn't have spent 4 years playing Facing Worlds without it. I started as a sneaky a** sniper, and became very good at it, on the fly too. This dragged me into the game, Face also taught me the joys of combo and the ecstasy of bouncing RL grenades. All hail Face. All hail the Sniper. LG was just wrong.

Comment

The sniper was rarely used in 2k3/2k4 TDM/DM, if at all. There were mutators that replaced the sniper in the few maps that didn't have the LG.

The couple of remaining 2k4 sniper servers cater to a few select UT1 players who couldn't let go of an "out of place" weapon.

That's because it was rarely put into the 2k4 maps by default in the DM mode. The 2k4 Sniper wasn't configured properly, the UT3 Sniper is, therefore it was easy for people to prefer the LG to the 2k4 Sniper because the 2k4 Sniper was so heavily nerfed. In case you didn't notice, there was a mutator that replaced the LG with the Sniper in 2k4, so your argument there doesn't hold an ounce of water.

The Sniper isn't out of place, it's you who are out of place, as Ultron has illustrated. You're whole argument is totally irrelevant as the Sniper is in UT3 and the LG is out.

Originally posted by UberBone View Post
                          All hail the Sniper. LG was just wrong.
                          My sentiments exactly, thank you. The UT3 Sniper rocks and totally owns the 2k3/2k4 LG.

Comment

I can't stop laughing at the people calling a sniper rifle 'out of place' in an Unreal game.
                            There is no reason for UT3 to have two sniper rifles like UT04 did.

Comment

Perhaps there should be an option like UT2004 had of using the "old model" in this case make the sniper a LG client side (with sound, effect etc ofc) if that's your thing, me I like my sniper.

Comment

nerf the lighting gun or whatever you must do , but I think it is one thing that should have been kept. perhaps even make the sniper and lighting a bit different , or a mutator.

Comment

Working...
                                X