lighting gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jocked View Post
    If you count more damage as a difference you might as well mention that it takes 28 more seconds to reload.

The spash is the only real diff.
    If we went by that way of thinking(that damage isnt a difference) then one would be led to believe that there's no difference between the flak cannon and the assault rifle.

Comment

Just btw, as far as I know, the lg doesn't have a splash damage. What causes the rare and lucky double kills is the fact that its main lightning bolt gets supported by two (or three?) minor bolts that CAN hit other players who are close to your main target.

Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
      If we went by that way of thinking(that damage isnt a difference) then one would be led to believe that there's no difference between the flak cannon and the assault rifle.
      Hehe, true. And yeah, the main difference between lg and sniper is the feeling, besides damage of course. I can't imagine playing TAM with a sniper rifle, the lg is just teh sexyness. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
        I'm not talking about LG vs the SR in 2004, but about the sniper rifle in genearal. The damage and fire rate is not the same in every UT, the LG operates and functions exactly like a Sniper, except for the splash and the tracer (which the SR now has in UT3), the Assault Rifle has almost nothing in common with Flak.

Originally posted by LêøÑ¡dås View Post
        Just btw, as far as I know, the lg doesn't have a splash damage. What causes the rare and lucky double kills is the fact that its main lightning bolt gets supported by two (or three?) minor bolts that CAN hit other players who are close to your main target.
        That's what I meant by "random splash". :P

Comment

my $0.02.....

i always found the original UT sniper rifle to be just a little rude. at least the 2k4 lightning gun gave away a snipers position, so peeps couldn't just be a camping *****.

if the UT3 sniper rifle gives away their position, i don't see any problem with it.

as for the lightning gun, meh, if the sniper rifle gives away a snipers position, i won't miss the LG at all.

just my rather inexperienced $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by sambo. View Post
            my $0.02.....

i always found the original UT sniper rifle to be just a little rude. at least the 2k4 lightning gun gave away a snipers position, so peeps couldn't just be a camping *****.

if the UT3 sniper rifle gives away their position, i don't see any problem with it.

as for the lightning gun, meh, if the sniper rifle gives away a snipers position, i won't miss the LG at all.

it does... by the annoying pink sniper trail.... i like Chaos' Sniper rifle that would blind you with the laser beam so you could still see them and get fair warning, but i agree at least there is something to give u away.

Comment

I was going to respond but the below quote expresses my thoughts. Sniper just doesn't feel like it should be in the game. LG was so much more fun to use.

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
              Well after all the hype about the ut3 sniper rifle being better.

I dont really like it nearly as much as I did the lg. Why?

It feels like a very uncreative hitscan weapon. Just the sound of the gun itself makes me feel like I'm being thrown back into some WWII shooter, not UNREAL. It surprises me that after so many years of being in development that the best we can get as far as a tracer is a boring dull laser beam, no sprites or cool effects. Quake II rail was sick to watch and that was over a decade ago. Some people say it feels powerful in their hands, I say it feels uninspiring and out of place in my view that Unreal should truly be a unique ultra-futuristic fps game. :\

Comment

Originally posted by stoker6 View Post
                Sniper just doesn't feel like it should be in the game. LG was so much more fun to use.
                That is totally bogus. Try telling that to the many Sniper arena clans out there that are still going on to this day in both UT and UT2004 and soon to be in UT3. How many LG arena clans or servers are out there? NONE. So, your statement doesn't hold an ounce of water.

I don't think the LG was more fun for you to use, I'll bet it's just that you had less fear of being on the wrong end of the LG than the Sniper Rifle.

The Sniper has always been a part of the Unreal series, ( except for UT2003, but a mutator was quickly made putting Sniper back in ). I'm glad Epic chose it for UT3 and got rid of that sissy LG.

Comment

They are all unconventional.
                  Look, I'm not going to get into a semantics game where you tout the word "unconventional" in a different context by which I mean conventional. Conventional weapons are the more realistic, yet modern weaponry like the ones we see today. Not lasers and energy weaponry. I am not arguing we shouldn't have non-conventional weaponry or anything, only that the majority of Unreal weapons are the more realistic types. From things like handguns, machine guns, rocket launchers, etc. We've even had a chainsaw, a flamethrower, etc. And it's dumb to claim a game series, filled with these types of weapons, is somehow out of character by not having a Lightning Gun. 6 Unreal games have a Sniper Rifle (U1,U2,UT,UT2k4, UC, UT3). 3 have a Lightning Gun (UC/UT2k3/UT2k4). Your arguement fails because of these facts above.

I dont know know any other good fps game that uses the creativity of weapons in the way UT3 does, namely flak, bio, shock and lg. And you're wrong about UT2k4 "sporting" the sniper rifle. Sniper rifle was never used in any map except face classic, and that map was never played on any ladders or scrims and the majority of people agreed the lightning gun was more favorable in that game anyhow.
                  You're switching arguements, since you have nothing to refute my point above. The Lightning Gun _was_ a better weapon to have because of the increased damage and there was no archaic puff of smoke. Furthermore the Snipey wasn't implemented in many maps. That's a good point, but that is irrelevant to the arguement on whether or not a Sniper Rifle fits in an Unreal game.

Clearly it does, and you've got nothing to counter that.

And the majority of the Unreal's are simply a rehash of the previous. How can you even point out a console port as a whole other Unreal game?
                  If you exclude the console versions of game, you're left with 5 Unreal PC games have a Sniper Rifle (U1,U2,UT,UT2k4, UT3). And only 2 Unreal PC games have a Lightning Gun (UT2k3/UT2k4). And you can't reasonably complain about "console ports" or "rehashes" when UT2k3 was a rehash of UC, and that's the game that debuted the Lightning Gun.

You're actually arguing against your reason above for the Lightning Gun fitting in "non-console rehashes" - LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                    UT has never been a sniper related series though. I've never seen the point of having it in. It isn't a tactical shooter where the sniper has his place. Its a close combat game.
                    But a FPS without snipe campers is not a real FPS
                    For exemple like in Face the World ctf.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo. View Post
                      my $0.02.....

There was a lighting effect, and you could see the bullet fall off the gun. It's enough on most maps...

Comment

The Sniper Rifle and Lightning Gun are the same, it's just that the LG gave away the player's positions. Now the Sniper Rifle does that too, so there isn't a need for an LG. No need to have 2 of the same weapons that just look different.

Comment

Unreal Tournament always needs at least one sniper weapon. It's a good to have a sniper for ctf and for dm.

Comment

I think the sniper rifle is much more fun than the LG. Sure I like to cook someone with a bolt of lightning. It just doesn't feel very snipery when your shot lights up the night sky and screams "he's over here!!!" The simple tracer is sufficient to prevent excessive camping.

Comment

Originally posted by GG-Xtreme View Post
                              The Sniper Rifle and Lightning Gun are the same, it's just that the LG gave away the player's positions. Now the Sniper Rifle does that too, so there isn't a need for an LG. No need to have 2 of the same weapons that just look different.
                              Clearly UT does need 2 of teh same weapon or we wouldn't have this thread. There is no reason peiople can't make their own choices of what "scope" weapon they want.

Comment

no doubt sum1 will make a lg mod for all u sniper rifle haters

Comment

Working...
                                X