Getting a new card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a new card...

First of all, I just want to say that my card makes the game run fine, people with really old graphics card run it anyways. I have played the Crysis beta and my card can't run the Medium settings correctly (WTF ?! Oo) so I was considering getting a new card for my PC, though I'm afraid my CPU will bottleneck a 8800 or 8600. Should I get a new CPU as well ? Do I have to reinstall windows after changing the CPU (does changing the CPU involves taking the mobo out of the case (I'm lazy) ?). My rig is in my sig.

If I get an 8800GTX, I should get a 5000+ at least to avoid bottlenecking, right (considering my mobo's socket is AM2, I don't want to buy a new mobo to switch to an intel processor) ?

Even that will bottleneck it, quite frankly anything not the highest cpu is bottlenecking that card according to the popularly posted cpu chart. Point being, if I got the card, it will also be a bottleneck, but it doesn't mean that it will be noticeable as long as the fps stays over or at 60 (vsync).

Comment

Just get intel dualcore e6750 (and overclock it, mine overclocked to over 3.5ghz without a hitch) and a matching motherboard, like Asus P5K. Then add GF8800GTS to the mix, or wait for GF8800GT, which should be released soon.

You will be _much_ happier than you would be with AMD processor and 8800GTX. Those AMDs just have nothing against the fastest overclocked intel dualcores.

Comment

whats the difference between the GTS and the GT?

Comment

gt will be lower clocked (it's not out yet) than the gts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuuku View Post
            First of all, I just want to say that my card makes the game run fine, people with really old graphics card run it anyways. I have played the Crysis beta and my card can't run the Medium settings correctly (WTF ?! Oo) so I was considering getting a new card for my PC, though I'm afraid my CPU will bottleneck a 8800 or 8600. Should I get a new CPU as well ? Do I have to reinstall windows after changing the CPU (does changing the CPU involves taking the mobo out of the case (I'm lazy) ?). My rig is in my sig.

If I get an 8800GTX, I should get a 5000+ at least to avoid bottlenecking, right (considering my mobo's socket is AM2, I don't want to buy a new mobo to switch to an intel processor) ?
            If you don't get the 8800GTX, know that the 8600GTS is running fine on my machine which is similar to yours (see sig).

Comment

gt will be lower clocked (it's not out yet) than the gts.
              Aah, I'll be going for the GTS then (at this time)

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuuku View Post

Another perspective/option that you can consider... http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...=fastest+block

A fast dual core CPU like the Opteron 185 would serve you very well and would be a cheap upgrade (vs. new mobo, new power supply, new ram, etc..) check ebay for the best deals or pricewatch.com...

Comment

If you dont want to spend alot of money just get the highest am2 first. I think that would be more resonable than a total upgrade. If you go with Intel it will cost alot more for mobo and processor, then just getting the high end AM2. I have the 4800+AM2, which is only mid range and I run fine 45-60 in all situations. I belive they go up to the 6200 or the 6400 now. Not sure though,youll have to check it out.

Comment

I'm planning on getting the 8800 GTS 640 mb one

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal View Post
                      I'm planning on getting the 8800 GTS 640 mb one
                      I've got that card. I love it.

Comment

ty for the info now i wanted even more !!!

Comment

meh ive got a 6800 lined up for me...is that a good enuf one or decent or...much better than my current 5900?

Comment

crysis looks cool.. if your upgrading mainly for that.. just know that they want a 8800gts for the recommended specs. I think it will be a hard game to run.. kinda like Call of Juarez.. Im eager to see the crysis benchmarks.. maybe theres some beta ones out.

Comment

meh ive got a 6800 lined up for me...is that a good enuf one or decent or...much better than my current 5900?
                              I really wouldn't go for anything other than the 8xxx series. preferably 8800 series if your budget can stretch that far. If not then the 8600 series would still be good enough.

The 6800 is better than the 5900, but by todays standards the 6800 is in its final days, if you get that one, you'll be in the same situation within 6 months (a year max).

The 8800 would last you quite a while, the 8600 less so.

Comment

Working...
                              X