Got Mobility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Mobility?

Sorry the saddo title was only there to draw you in(the moblility being from the card i have, an ati mobility radeon 9700)

i know that upon first glance you would dismiss my card as a crappy 128mb putrifactuous bane on the computing comunity, but in its time my computer was a chuck norris remeniscent war machine that could handle anything you through at it, and i think it can still perform like that.

through vigurous(sorry my spelling is ****) ini tweaking and homework not-doing i have managed to make it look like this:
    [img=http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1498/ut3screenshotjt8.th.png]
    this is probably due mostly to my killer processor, which is as we post is running at 5.09ghz(jealous much? i didn't think so) and now we come to the whole reason i posted this: as you may have noticed after a certain distance textures are blacked out and some are blacked out at any distance, and another problem that you cant notice from the shot is that there is NO sound.

if anyone can give advice on how to get rid of these issues please post, and if not, thank you for reading anyway(i am fully aware that i take forever to say nothing)

5.09ghz -- that i dont believe, maybe if Its a dual core, and your adding them together, which is incorrect... other than that... without Liquid Nitrogen cooling, you couldn't get it past 3.5ghz -- and even then you'd need memory to support it, and you'd have to volt mod your motherboard...

any ways, its probably due to your lack of SM2 (Shader Model 2)....

Comment

Not sure if this applies, but it's interesting.

Originally posted by Mark Rein View Post
      Unfortunately for laptops you have to get the drivers from your manufacturer. This is the secret curse of gaming on laptops - the manufacturers won't let ATI and NVIDIA support the laptops with their normal driver releases. I've heard a ton of different excuses for this but they'll nonsense and just come down to the big computer manufacturers wanting control over what drivers you put on your laptop. The sad part is that they seldom make the effort to keep the drivers updated. They could authorize ATI and NVIDIA to support them publicly but they won't. Laptop gamers are SCREWED because of this and Epic has been fighting this behind the scenes for several years now with little success. ATI and NVIDIA say their hands are tied on this but I think they need to stand up to their hardware partners in the interest of the end user experience. It is making them look bad too. You bought a laptop that you thought could play the game well (and it could play games well back when you bought it because the drivers were relatively up to date when it shipped) but now you can't play current games simply because your driver is out of date.

The bottom line is that gamers need to speak out (SCREAM ACTUALLY) about this injustice because more and more PC users are moving to laptops and they'll be having horrible gaming experiences (even when the laptops do have decent graphics chips totally capable of playing the games) if the drivers aren't kept up to date. I have a DELL M170 at home and the latest drivers for it are over a year old with no sign that they'll ever release updated drivers. NVIDIA could simply at that machine to the .INF file they release with the reference drivers and it would work like a charm but they can't because DELL won't let them.

Speak out folks, speak out loudly! Tell your hardware companies this kind of behaviour is anti-gaming and you'll go to other vendors in the future if they don't change it.

Having said that there are one or two of the high-end laptop makers who let NVIDIA (not sure about ATI but probably them as well) support the mobile chips in their machines. You'd have to check the graphics chip manufacturer's driver download sites for more details.

Comment

Yeah. Please explain how you have a processor running at 5.09GHz, and also how all the modifications required to even think about doing something like that would fit in a laptop.

Comment

I'm guessing it's a dual core 2.5 and he somehow think that makes it a 5.0

Comment

I remember reading a few years ago someone made a 6GHz rig (not laptop).

It seemed a really complex cooling job with custom cases and god knows what else.

Comment

i saw a 3.80ghz laptop but never heard of a 5ghz one with one core that is

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                I remember reading a few years ago someone made a 6GHz rig (not laptop).
                Yeah but that was in the single core days, that machine only worked while the liquid nitrogen and dry ice was cold, a couple of hours later it would heat up again unless they kept a fresh supply (horribly expensive) or it would just plain die from the cheer amount of voltage it had to handle to run at that speed, and it's still slower than most new C2D chips at stock speeds. =P

Comment

12ghz must be unreal :|

Comment

and it's still slower than most new C2D chips at stock speeds. =P
                    can't wait to get my q6600

Hmm... I need to find a local supply of nitrogen.

(Oh Krill3.8: I meant to ask: you mentioned some good coolers a while back, the Zalman CPN9700NT and something else for VGA, what was it? - you had pics and that, tried a search couldn't find it.)

Soz for OT.

Comment

well, the reasonit operates at 5ghz is because it is hyperthreaded(sorry i didn't make that clear earlier) and mycard does support shader model 2.0(but not 2.0b if thats what you meant)

i mean thankyou for the replies guys but i was hoping maybe for some advice and not just"5ghz?!? impossible1" so please post if you know how ican improve the games performance, not just if you think my computer is impossible thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Crazyhead View Post

through vigurous(sorry my spelling is ****) ini tweaking and homework not-doing i have managed to make it look like this:
                        [img=http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1498/ut3screenshotjt8.th.png]
                        What kind of tweaks did u do?Do u have sound when in-game at the menus?

Comment

no sound at all anywhere, i have made tweaks mainly to utengine.ini and ithink three to one of the other ini files(the one with listed compatibility profiles)
                          with the sound i think i must have just changed the wrong thing and would like to know what it is, but the main problem that really makes the game unplayable is the black textures and i REALLY need to know how to get rid of that

Comment

without knowing the specific tweaks you've done all I can suggest is a thorough read of www.tweakguides.com UT3 guide... I can't imagine a more thorough source of information.

some happy words I think you didn't want to hear:

Upgrade!

Honestly I'm amazed you've made the game look like that. You must've disabled textures or started rendering the game as some odd lighting mode with colour? God knows.

Some things that can help fps, decrease resolution, decrease screen percentage, everything on low, edit the .ini so there is no bloom, quality bloom, motion blur effects, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X