Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guide for "world detail" slider setting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide for "world detail" slider setting...

I've been trying to tweak my UT3 video settings for optimal FPS and it seems that the world detail setting has the most impact on FPS [besides the resolution]. I have a GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB video card.

The slider 1-5 for the world detail setting isn't informative at all and it took me awhile to figure out what the noticable differences actually are. So to save you time and help all you tweakers on deciding what you're willing to sacrifice for FPS, here are my findings based on my tests on the VCTF Suspense map...

World detail slider:
    5) all details on
    4) removes...buildings shadows
    3) also removes...character/vehicle shadows
    2) also removes...bump/normal maps on walls and ground
    1) also removes...bloom lighting

You usually have to exit and restart the game for these changes to show up.

Feel free to add your comments for accuracy and detail. Hope this helps!

Most of us have figured out how to tweak our ini's, gives you a lot more specific control..

Read my sig or try the article on Tweakguides.com

Comment

ive checked out the article on tweakguides.com but it doesn't describe that slider in terms of what the average user understands. so those are my layman’s terms descriptions.

Comment

I gave up on bloom, blur **** long time ago and just turned my sliders down to 1, everything looks like a normal pc game now.

Comment

Hope the full game will have a slider each for amount of bloom and Depth of field effects....

Suggestion:
          Imo there should be a smplified slider like the one that's in the demo but if you press advanced settings you should get all the individual choices without having to alter your ini's in notepad. Really sucks.

EDIT: Everything you can tweak in game should have a explination so that you don't have to be some sort of computer geek to understand what you're turning on/off...

Comment

What's funny is everyone talks about realistic graphics......but in the end almost everyone who wants to play competitively disables a whole bunch of these "effects" that make the graphics more realistic, me included. Case in point: Why in the hell would you restrict your viewing distance with bloom and depth of field effects, when your enemy can see you clear across the map if he has those effects disabled? You wouldn't. You're going to go to your settings or .ini files to gain as much of an advantage to see and hit the opponent as possible.

Just like UT2003, there was a lot of buzz on the great graphics when it came out - but then about a month later the competitive community was finding ways to simplify them so they could see/shoot better. It won't be any different in UT3. You can either have a very realistic environment and be at a disadvantage, or you can turn the realism down and compete better.

I don't say this to make a case against making graphics more realistic. From time to time during UT2003/2004, especially when new maps would come out, I would crank all the settings up and explore the great graphics in single player. But when I went to play online, I had to turn a lot of those things down if I wanted to maximize my ability to compete with the others.

As long as the .ini's are as editable as they are, and some sort of server side code doesn't prevent tweaking, it will always be this way. For instance, the guy who cranks up all the shadows is gonna get fragged in a dark alley and not see it coming. He'll soon find out that he could have seen the guy if he had all those shadows disabled, and then he'll turn them off. Yes, it makes the game less realistic but it improves his ability to compete. It's the same thing with foilage: Foilage looks great and all, but after being nailed a few timeswhile crouching in thick foilage that simply doesn't show up on your enemy's screen, you'll turn it off too. The list goes on....

When placing importance on graphics in on online shooter like UT, I look for good player and gore animations, nice-looking player movement and crisp textures/colors. The lighting and particle effects (and other effects of the sort) are hella cool to look at and enjoy on your own time, but you're going to be at a disadvantage online if you have all those things enabled.

Comment

very true-
              you really have to have at least a world detail of 3 for this game to look "next gen" but if I want to be competitive I cant go higher than 2. Is a shame. Hope they fix the no performance improvement with SLI issue as my second 7900GT is being wasted- lol.

Comment

Ok, so is it possible to have 5-2 with out bloom lighting I never saw a straight answer to this. Meaning, if you go into ini and turn off all the bloom vars, does it mess with building shadows and bumpmaps?

Comment

I can be horribly wrong about this, but I see no difference between 3 and 5 on either of the sliders. Explanation; The higher graphic settings aren't in the Beta Demo to keep the file size down.

Comment

thats textures that makes no difference...
                    world detail is as stated above.
                    but shadows are hardly noticable becasue the ambient lighting in the maps is too high and only sunlights seem to cast shadows. So unless you are out in the sunlight you wont see a shadow. Gay I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
                      Ok, so is it possible to have 5-2 with out bloom lighting I never saw a straight answer to this. Meaning, if you go into ini and turn off all the bloom vars, does it mess with building shadows and bumpmaps?
                      Disabling bloom in the .ini does not affect shadows and bumpmaps.

Comment

ok thanks I thought I read something that said they were linked, but that must only be on the slider.

Comment

You usually have to exit and restart the game for these changes to show up.

Comment

is there more individual settings in the final game now?

Comment

It's the same as the demo, in other words no.

Comment

Working...
                              X