Upgrading to windows vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to windows vista

Ok I decided to get a 64 bit OS and so I thought I might as well go with vista (I'm gonna have 4GB RAM so it shouldn't be a problem). Anyway, I was looking on this site and the prices are really cheap if I get the OEM version, which I would get as it doesn't bother me the stuff that you lose out on.
    However, it said if you already have XP you need to get the upgrade version, but this is twice the price and on this site there is no 64 bit version!

My question is, can I get the OEM version and use it if I already have XP, or will it detect that and force me to get the upgrade version?

if you get the OEM version it will not allow you to do an upgrade installation - you will have to reformat your computer

warning - the oem version key can only be activated i think 5 times before it no longer works

Comment

I wouldn't need to activate it that many times anyway.

The only way I know how to reformat my computer is to put the 'recovery' disk in, but that installs windows as default. How can I reformat it so that I can install the new OEM version of vista?

Comment

you do it with the vista disk you buy

be careful though, as reinstalling windows, or using a 'recovery disk' requires a reactivation, also so does large changes in hardware

Comment

Ah, that's ok then. Well I wouldn't mind losing all my files, I'll just back them up.
          Looks like I'll go for the OEM version then, thanks.

Comment

Get another hard drive and install it on that one.

Comment

Working...
            X