Gears maps on UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears maps on UT3?

Will we be able to play gears of war maps on UT3 or UT3 maps on gears?
    Or is the level editor changed around for the two games?

I guess it will be possible with some modding involved.

Comment

This is not definitive:
      Most likely the Editor and Package builds will be different and not compatible.
      So you can probably export/import textures across, but that is probably it, unless some third-party person writes a package conversion utility.

Comment

Gear's maps don't suit UT3 though... why would you want them?

Comment

Oh you can bet someone is going to do an entire Gears of War Mod and many folks are going to import the character and weapons from Gears and make them playable in UT3. I also expect to see UC2 being redone as a mod for UT3. We UT3 gamers are going to get a lot of great content over the next year as folks port other game parts over to UT3 ... I even expect to see something from BioShock ... maybe a Big Daddy and the spider splicers ... but yeah you can bet there is going to be tons of modding happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dymlos2003 View Post
            more maps, mods, characters etc. Easy for the modding community to put out more content and get their names out there. Keep in mind they are changing quite a few things in gears of war for the PC. Probably because the 360 could not handle large maps with allot of people, like a PC can.

Comment

Originally posted by Dymlos2003 View Post
              What do you mean they don't suit UT3? Are you new to the UT series? There are so many different kinds of levels ... that is one of the things about the series ... anyone can make any level they want. There is no predefined look ... UT is made so that the users and the community create the rules and the rule is as long as a level looks good and plays well and is fun then it works in UT. The variety of levels available for UT/UT2K3/UT2K4 are astonishing ... go to sites like mapraiders and nali city and Unreal Playground and that is just a taste.

Comment

First off, working in UE3 is substantially more difficult than UT2004, so that IMHO is going to be a serious issue as most community mappers are not going to be able to work with it well (see the threads regarding this on BUF).

Second, BioShock etc. content runs into copyright issues, and pretty much every other rip-off mod/conversion has been shut down by the original developer/publisher

Third, unless they give permission, the only current cross-game asset usage is from other Unreal Universe games (U, U2, UT99, UT2kx, UC, UC2), and last time I checked GoW was not an Unreal game.

Fourth, GoW's development scale is not the same as either UT2k4 or UT3, so most assets are incorrectly sized for UT3 (156UU player vs 94UU player).

Personally, I suggest the community wait until UT3 ships before everyone goes gung-ho on what they are planning on mapping/mod'ing, since most have not seen the editor yet or what is involved in mapping/mod'ing. It is not as easy to get next-gen content as it was to throw stuff together in UT2004. Because of this, I expect to see the vast majority of UT3 maps looking exactly like UT2004 quality CSG/BSP DMs.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                  First off, working in UE3 is substantially more difficult than UT2004, so that IMHO is going to be a serious issue as most community mappers are not going to be able to work with it well (see the threads regarding this on BUF).

Second, BioShock etc. content runs into copyright issues, and pretty much every other rip-off mod/conversion has been shut down by the original developer/publisher

Third, unless they give permission, the only current cross-game asset usage is from other Unreal Universe games (U, U2, UT99, UT2kx, UC, UC2), and last time I checked GoW was not an Unreal game.

Fourth, GoW's development scale is not the same as either UT2k4 or UT3, so most assets are incorrectly sized for UT3 (156UU player vs 94UU player).

Personally, I suggest the community wait until UT3 ships before everyone goes gung-ho on what they are planning on mapping/mod'ing, since most have not seen the editor yet or what is involved in mapping/mod'ing. It is not as easy to get next-gen content as it was to throw stuff together in UT2004. Because of this, I expect to see the vast majority of UT3 maps looking exactly like UT2004 quality CSG/BSP DMs.
                  That makes allot of sense. I was just curious because they are both shipping with the editor(dont know if Microsoft changed it around at all for gears). Plus gears for the pc is using an updated engine. Has any other 3rd party developer that used the unreal engine shipped an editor with the game?

Comment

Originally posted by NakhtiUT3 View Post
                    Oh you can bet someone is going to do an entire Gears of War Mod
                    Why would someone bother when GEARS will be out for PC in just about a week? I love GEARS, but if I want to play it, I'll buy it (and I will!). It just seems like it will be an excercise in technical masturbation to bother mdding UT3 to be GEARS. Ramaking or converting maps across the games maybe...but modding one to be the other seems silly.

Comment

Originally posted by jerander View Post
                      Plus gears for the pc is using an updated engine.

Has any other 3rd party developer that used the unreal engine shipped an editor with the game?
                      Epic hasn't been retaining file compatibility across all builds and branches though, so this results in the inability to open files in the other game's editor, leaving you only a minimal amount of assets that can be transferred across.

RoboBlitz for one has the editor.
                      That is an older build of the engine though.

Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
                      Ramaking or converting maps across the games maybe...but modding one to be the other seems silly.
                      As I mentioned though, the entire map and model scale between GoW and UT3 is very different, so map remakes will essentially be from the ground up, in which case you are basically making a new map.
                      While this is still possible, the differences in game scale and design between UT2 and GoW may result in a map that doesn't play well.

Comment

ONS maps used to come in all different shapes and sizes.

Even if someone ported over a Gears map, I'm sure the UT community would make good use of it one way or another.

Some of the smaller GoW maps would make some pretty good TAM/DM maps. i.e. The Marcus Mansion, the scene after deploying the resonator, etc.

The outside of the factory might make for a pretty good warfare map since it is so large.

I think the possibilities are there, and although I wouldn't care for a total GoW conversion for UT3, I'd certainly be happy in trying out different maps.

Comment

Originally posted by NakhtiUT3 View Post
                          What do you mean they don't suit UT3? Are you new to the UT series? There are so many different kinds of levels ... that is one of the things about the series ... anyone can make any level they want. There is no predefined look ... UT is made so that the users and the community create the rules and the rule is as long as a level looks good and plays well and is fun then it works in UT. The variety of levels available for UT/UT2K3/UT2K4 are astonishing ... go to sites like mapraiders and nali city and Unreal Playground and that is just a taste.
                          i think what he meant was that GoW maps are ENTIRLY designed around using cover and are all extremly flat compard to all UT levels. A GoW level would be the equivalent of a very large, open area, with a few places to get higher, Unless they altered all the cover to be taller then the UT characters, then it would be alittle to boring, can just snipeshots all the time... so i basically think GoW maps would just become an annoyance

Comment

Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
                            Why would someone bother when GEARS will be out for PC in just about a week? I love GEARS, but if I want to play it, I'll buy it (and I will!). It just seems like it will be an excercise in technical masturbation to bother mdding UT3 to be GEARS. Ramaking or converting maps across the games maybe...but modding one to be the other seems silly.
                            That may be true and so what DGUnreal says ... it is logical ... but this is the Unreal community and anyone who has been around long enough knows that logic does not usual win out when it comes to Unreal modding. Also many companies may be willing to give their permission to let their assets be used for making a mod in UT3. It could certainly help their product gain attention and may help sales in certain cases. If HaloUT could work and have permission from Bungie then anything is possible ... it depends on the mod and the company. For example another Halo mod that was an RTS on another game engine got shut down by Bungie and it was because as we all know now Halo Wars is going to be out next year sometime.

Anyway the point is most people are already planning on what they are going to do and most will be gung ho about it. But in the end the real modders will shine and the people that have real talent will rise to the top. It may not be substantially more difficult for experienced level designers to create really nice content pretty quickly. At any rate the next 6 months is going to see all kinds of mods for this game ... and some will be good while the majority will be mediocre at best. This is when knowing the names of those who have talent in the community pays off. Like in DGUnreal's case ... his levels will be very nice and we can expect that because his work in UT2K4 was so well done.

Comment

Yeah, I had several of DGUnreal's maps on my 2k4 server. A shame I never got to finish up his ONS map for fun play, but his maps truly are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X