No announcement yet.

My opinion about UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you die a lot faster and get kills a lot faster, regardless of actual movement the game is faster.
    take a game like gears and compare it to rainbow 6 or graw, sure they are all cover based games, and out of all of them you move fastest in rainbow, but anyone who's played them will tell you a game of annex in gears feels a lot faster than a game in rainbow.

ut3= more deaths in less time, thus faster game.

Comment

The whole point of the discussion was about the overall gameplay (particularly combat) being faster. Faster movement, requirement of quicker reflexes.....

The rate of fire for weapons is a matter of personal preference and may affect your ability/strategy for fragging, but it doesn't make the gameplay itself slower. Think about what you're saying....would using a weapon that fires extremely fast magically make the gameplay faster if you moved like a turtle? Of course not, so the other side of the coin must hold true, too. Weapons with a slower rate of fire do not make the gameplay slower.

The speed of gameplay is a measure of movment and reaction time. Rate of fire is a separate issue. That's the way I see it.

I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

Comment

Guys,guys...don't forget ][ THIS ][ IS ][ BETA ][ DEMO ][ Epic still has time to change stuff and add patches and whatever other stuff they're planning, no need to start a riot :P

Imo..Adapt and survive

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by magis View Post
          History

I’m UT 2004 player and I’m used to fast game – used to dodge-jump – it’s a part of art what UT 2004 players create. Catching a flag and running away is an art, the same art is done by opponents who tries to get back their flag. Why this must be killed?
          I’ve played all UT games, UT’99 was first game I played on PC and I loved that, it was fast and has lots of other properties that makes the game better than Quake 3 or any similar game. When I played UT 2004 I got faster game – many new actions, new strategies - all of dodge-jump. I got into UnrealED and built many maps that are specially made for dodge-jumps and everyone loves them. But now on UT3, as it is gone, just simple, non tricky maps can be built.

What for is UT3?

Have to admit I didn’t played UT 2004 when it was released, because my PC wasn’t so good to handle the graphics, 2 years ago I started to play it, but only with bots. On last year November I got into online playing and there revealed real game.
          I got Demo of UT3 and it runs on my laptop, buton lower settings, 720x480 and all set to 2 and I have ~45 fps. I knew that my laptop won’t be able to handle high graphics, so I put everything on game play, and I got disappointed. Now in duel wins who does first shot. If you get a flag – you are dead, coz everyone shoots on you, as you can’t do dodge-jump, you will be dead.
          I think Epic made UT3 too consolish – game play is slow compared to UT 2004. If UT 2004 would be on any console –it won’t succeed, coz it’s really hard to handle so fast game on any of consoles. So Epic slowed down all action to fit consoles. Graphics, yes, they are awesome, but does real player need that. To better see enemies good players decreases all Bloom, Depth of field, etc. just to see far. On UT 2004 was made mutator “UTComp” to make bright enemies in game, juts to be easier to spot them. To make even better spotting of enemies, many decreased graphics quality.
          I did a test on UT3. I turned off Bloom and Depth of field and on VCTF map Suspense I was able to see enemies across the bridge, but if Bloom and DoF is turned on, I was unable to se enemies across the bridge. So, what’s the point of eye-catchy graphics, if most will turn them off just to improve abilities to spot enemies, or coz of PC that can’t handle the graphics?
          The success of many most popular games in the world is graphics, and they aren’t the best. For example Warcraft RTS series, they have changed only graphics, but to fit even weak PC and haven’t changed game play, that why they have so many players. The same goes for WOW, again graphics and good game play. Not to mention CS.

Opinion

I think Epic made this game to show off Unreal Engine 3 possibilities and to get into consoles. Game play is so consolish, that there can’t be any other variants. Those who are responsible for game play, did their job bad. I’ve feeling that they didn’t involved real UT gamers into project to make good game.

I think many UT’99 players didn’t migrated to UT 2004 because their PCs was weak, so now will be the same reason for many players. Why these resource eating graphics?

PS Before replying my post, read it from beginning to the end and ensure you got me right.
          Mentioning other games isn’t advertising, mentioned juts for example.
          I agree that this is just a Demo, but it generally represents final release of UT3.
          Don’t get on me by “If u don’t like, don’t play” and etc., this is my opinion and nothing can’t be changed only if someone gives me a million dollars!
          You may say that now but i know when you see the full game you'll get it and get use to it like we all will.

Comment

I haven't played any of the UT series in a while, I loved them all, right from the original Unreal.

I'm not certain why so many people complain about how it feels, because if it worked exactly as the last game, then what are we going to be paying for? The same game all over again, but a little bit shinier with some new maps.

I started the demo, and even before I changed that % render thing to 100% which set as it was made everything look horrible, a big smile soon set accross my face as the mental killing got underway.

Deathmatch was a blast, I really liked when I had control of the crazy deathwalker thing, and the VCTF didn't provide me any trouble whatsoever in returning a flag. If anything, thanks to the hoverboard, I'd say it's easier. It was never easy getting the flag out of the base in any of the game's predecessors, it involved teamwork unless by some miracle, you made it to the flag unseen, and got too far back to your own base for anyone to do anything about it. Dodge jumping only got you so far, perfectly usable in a 3v3, but when there are 5 shockblasts coming your way, 5 rocket salvos and a bunch of flak, it maybe kept you alive 3 seconds longer, unless of course you were playing against a bunch of people with no skill.
            There's still a great big fat nuke here, which just like in 2k4, is a pretty sound way to clear a bunch of the enemy whilst a teammate grabs the flag. Get that hoverboard out and scoot accross the road whilst your teammates snipe the respawning enemies, and you're home free.

Overall, it reminded me more of the original UT, which I preferred to UT2k4 anyway (really, Onslaught was made UT2k4 for me, fantastic fun). My only gripe, is that the tank still doesn't have nearly as much armour as it should, and the manta is still overpowered. I can hop in a manta, and thanks to it's manoeuvrability, have no trouble popping a tank in a few seconds. Doesn't feel right that such a small and lightweight looking vehicle, has such an easy time dispatching anything else in the game. Both vehicles need adjusting, as the tank is easily dispatched with on foot with a flak cannon, and if you're skilled in the manta, you're pretty much impossible to kill.

I'm sure the full release will have plenty of little mods for gameplay just like we had previously, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if dodge jumping is one of them. Just because it isn't there by default, and available in a BETA demo, doesn't mean to say it's not an option in the full thing, and I'm certain that if it isn't, enough of you ***** and whine about it, it'll be added in a patch or downloadable mod so that a server can then switch it on or off as desired.

I won't be upset either way, I'll just make sure I have my aim correct, and press the trigger before the guy I'm looking at does, instead of trying to wriggle around and pray he doesn't have any ability to anticipate my next move. Did anyone else find a dodge jumper not that much more difficult to kill when they switched to the flak cannon or shock rifle?

Comment

I see what you're saying OP. I've gotten over this easily as I only play Deathmatch and TDM for now.

I can really see the impact in CTF gametypes though. The amount of distance you need to move with the flag with not many trick moves is a bit rough, dodge only goes so far.

The hoverboard is OK, but the tricks you do on it don't really avoid any shots. If anything the board makes you easier to hit. I'm not really into these gametypes, the closest I get is CTF Instagib. I do feel for you that like these gametypes only.

I've definately gotten used to the movement in Deathmatch though. It's getting more fun each time I play it. That said, I'm all for bringing back dodge jump through mods etc!

,Dustin

Comment

Originally posted by duddley View Post
                I see what you're saying OP. I've gotten over this easily as I only play Deathmatch and TDM for now.

I can really see the impact in CTF gametypes though. The amount of distance you need to move with the flag with not many trick moves is a bit rough, dodge only goes so far.

The hoverboard is OK, but the tricks you do on it don't really avoid any shots. If anything the board makes you easier to hit. I'm not really into these gametypes, the closest I get is CTF Instagib. I do feel for you that like these gametypes only.
                No need to pity us, I'm a CTF-a-holic and the demo's VCTF level is doing me right so far. It gets a bit campy with huge playercounts, but when the player population is suited to the map it's pretty awesome.

Also note that while 2k4 CTF died a whimpering death about a year ago and was never that big to begin with, UT99 CTF was way more popular -- this without the extra movement.

I'm very much looking forward to the new CTF and hope it takes off better than the last iteration did.

Comment

Of course there can be used Redeemer and other strategies. I haven't played yet a good online VCTF on UT3, only bot game. As bots are dumb, thats not a game, but they represents at least a half of all online players - grab weapon and shoot flag carrier whatever it takes. 0 of team game, thats why I say it's now harder to play any CTF without dodge-jump. I've played many games where I score all 5 flags and have returned more than 10 flags, coz non of players cant play normal team game.

Will live and see how full version will turn out. Would be nice to hear something from Epic.

Originally posted by rebel7254 View Post
                  The whole point of the discussion was about the overall gameplay (particularly combat) being faster.
                  Totally wrong, you are unwanted trouble maker here. Read my first post again and get the point I was about!

Comment

Working...
                  X