Anti Vehicle Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Vehicle Tactics

There are a lot of posts lately regarding souped-up vehicles and peoples dislike for them. This isn't a post to disagree with the posts or agree for that matter, more to inform people regarding how vehicles can be defeated.

Please don't post "X is way too overpowered it owns everything we have no chance, epic change it already".

I'll keep this first post updated as more tips come in.

First off (as it's a huge gripe with lots of people)

The Manta

Impact Hammer: Can be used on the main body of the manta and destroys it in two charged shots. Risky, as the wings still crush you and the pilot can shoot you (albeit the shots vs non-vehicles have been turned down).

Stinger Primary: Probably one of the better guns to use when the manta isn't directly targeting you. Not good when they are trying to crush you though as it provides negligable knockback.

Stinger Seconday: Other than the avril, probably the best weapon to use when your being targeted by a manta. Almost useless at medium-long range due to difficulty aiming, but up close provides significant knockback and damage. Easily enough to give the pilot a shock!

Avril: There are the obvious uses for long range attacking. However, to defeat a manta 1v1 close up with it, use the secondary fire until there is enough room or the manta is mid turn to let rip the primary and destroy it in one shot.

Rockets: Difficult to hit but can do significant damage to the manta. Not confirmed but I think it does more damage when it hits the top of the manta.

Sniper: Take out the pilot, the new version allows for headshots from all locations (as opposed to just from the side previously)

Obviously this is far from a complete list, input please!

This post is more to inform people regarding why a particular vehicle often can't be defeated.

- The manta is behind you.
    - Fighting is happening, so the incoming manta is hard to hear.
    - The manta pilot is choosing his targets.
    - You have to switch weapon unlike the manta.
    - You are busy and outnumbered. Compare with the other situation where the manta is being attacked by 2 players.
    - Looking at existing stats would be interesting
    - Compare it with the teamwork for or against the tank on Primeval
    - On maps, it's usual to mention the tank, the levi, the cicada. And not manta, but manta(s)
    - Please make a list of the vehicles used for spawn killing.
    - How many killing sprees do people have killing mantas?

Obviously this is far from a complete list, input please!
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post

- The OPPONENT is behind you.
      To be honest, if you don't notice a player with a RL or some other non-default weapon, you're dead anyway.

Comment

Foot trooper Anti scorpion tactics:

Hide.
        Be far, far away and use Avrils.
        Hope the driver does not spot you.
        If they don't spot you use three locked rockets then hide again.
        Get somewhere very inaccessible to vehicles and out of range of the mortar then shock/stinger em.

Comment

The turn speed of the Tank main cannon is nerfed so it's still possible to dodge around it as in 2k4 and flak it to pieces. Since the flak and rox got more juice the tank goes down faster too. Rox lock on is very useful on mid distance. Oc if you got higher ground then the tank you are pretty safe as long as you don't place yourself close to something and the tank can use its splash damage.

It's also pretty easy to lead in stinger secondary on the Raptors.

Goo and stinger secondary takes out the dark walker pretty fast, the slow turn of the walker makes it possible to really fill it with slime before it's time to take cover.

Comment

Only the impact hammer and avril are useful against vehicles. Everything else is negligable. The shock is now so underpowered against vehicles it isn't even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon
              The shock is now so underpowered against vehicles it isn't even funny.
              Because it was never supposed to be an insane anti-vehicle weapon. It was abused, so Epic had to do the right thing.

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
              To be honest, if you don't notice a player with a RL or some other non-default weapon, you're dead anyway.
              You are not slower than him, don't get killed if you have 199 health and 150 shield, etc...

Comment

Well, wait. Why would you remove any vehicles? In UT, everybody gets an equal chance at everything, so nothing is really ever unbalanced.

Besides, I always survive like two seconds whether in a vehicle or on foot, so I'm not seeing where the balance issue is. UT just ISN'T the game to be playing if you don't like getting fragged!

Vehicles take a while to respawn and the more powerful the vehicle, the longer the spawn time. So it's not so bad.

But as for tactics: For the darkwalker, it's easy to take them out. Just get under something. When it turns away from you, just shoot at it with anything except the impact hammer. If you're out in the open, you'd better hide, or those heat rays will get you.

Scorpions and Hellbenders are fairly easy to kill off if you keep your distance. The longbow, of course, is the prefered weapon. Failing that, just lob rockets, shock bolts or sniper rounds at it until it blows up. Don't use the flak cannon or minigun. By the time you're close enough to hit it, you're already dead.

Comment

I would just shock combo the manta .. if it tries to kill me .. if i miss i will then crouch

Comment

Originally posted by Tamaria View Post
                    Well, wait. Why would you remove any vehicles? In UT, everybody gets an equal chance at everything, so nothing is really ever unbalanced.
                    First of all, who said anything about remove? And you are totally wrong about the balance. The original 2k4 vehicles (Tank, HB, Scorp, Manta, Raptor - Levi) was, even the Levi since a raptor could take it out easily if there wasn't any avrilers around, perfectly balanced in a rock paper scissor way. The strength and weaknesses of the vehicles matched each other and also the balance vehicles/infantry was good. Then they threw in some random vehicles that didn't make it through the screening for the original release with the ECE. Now it feels like there is more LOLZ-factor then actual balance tbh.

Ah ****, OT. Plz continue.. :P

Comment

The link gun is pretty good at taking down vehicles...

Comment

Originally posted by unrealkiller View Post
                        I would just shock combo the manta .. if it tries to kill me .. if i miss i will then crouch
                        feign death+avril could be a possibility
                        I try to do my share of finding buried thread-treasure (or junk ).
                        I hope this thread can be further expanded for newer players coming into UT3

//BUMPAGE

Comment

Working...
                        X