Regarding the InstaGib mutator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the InstaGib mutator

Coming from the Unreal Tournament 1 IG community, I think I speak for a lot of people from there when I say this. (Or I simply may not speak for a lot of them) who knows lol.. Why it's called a discussion board

The Super Shock Rifle needs to do lots of damage and enemy needs to ****ing explode. Falling over like they got light headed, while maybe losing a leg is not cool. InstaGIB, not InstaFaint, or InstaFall-over.

Team boosting hopefully will make a return form UT1. It was not only cool, but incredibly useful. It was used a ton in the IG community in UT1 and I'm hoping and praying this does make it's return! Please!!!!

Team colored beams is a definite no-no. IMO, this was also a pretty bad idea. You should always have to be alert.. That doesn't happen when you're on blue team and all you see is blue beams. Now, if all beams are the same color, you're always alert. The orange beam also just looks and feels better IMO.. I also feel as if I'm playing laser tag with team beams.

Zoom function has no place in IG. Keep it UT1 and keep it fun. Zooming in Instagib was considered a **** hack in UT1 and I almost **** myself when I found out that Zoom was a normal function in UT2003/4.

Translocator is also a no go IMO.. We didn't need one in UT1.. We had to fight our way in and fight our way out. While I have no problem with the Translocator itself, I just don't think it's for IG.

The UT3 menus are less than desirable and I really don't know what you guys were thinking with that one. Even with the less than desirable menu system atm, the game itself is getting mostly great reviews, because the core gameplay ****ing rocks. UT2003/4 got "This game is ok" feedback. UT1 was also praised.. You see my point?

Those things are all optional. I play UT2k4 insta without zoom and without translocator on publics, pickups and clanbase. In UT3 this will also be optional. Some people actually like the zooming, translocator. And maybe even team-based beams will become optional but I don't think so tbh.

Comment

Will bump this thread later today when Epic staff is actually working lol.

Comment

I don't think those should be optional at all. If EPIC wants the community to be huge like in UT99 then fix it just like how it used to be. The gameplay is amazing. Good job on making it on how we want it to be. The feeling and movement is just like UT99.

Team boosting is a must, we are all shocked by this. I am sure in the full version we will be able to boost. Leave the trans for only weapons, has no use whatsoever in IG. Beauty of IG is running in the opponents base to grab flag and cap it, not translocating to their base. Same goes with zoom, leave it for snipers only. For color beams, i will say it again since 2003. DO NOT PUT COLOR BEAMS, LEAVE IT ORANGE. We don't care if newbies can't tell if their teammates are shooting at them or if their opponent is shooting at them. It's their problem, they can use some brains and figure it. Plus the feeling of the orange beam is a LOT better by far. Color beams feel like ****. As far as the menu goes, i am sure 99% of the community thinks it's ****. I know it's the beta so it's all good. I am sure you guys doing something sweet in the full version. I liked the tab options back in UT99 or UT2k4. One thing we would like to see is if it's possible to make Instagib CTF and Instagib DM/TDM options too in the menu. It would make our community even bigger. I am sure a lot of old school clans/players are coming back but we would like to expand a lot more.

Anyways i love the gameplay, you guys really put a lot of time into it and fixed it up. You are very close in making it the perfect game since UT 99.

Comment

Also i would like you guys to come idle in both our weapons and ig IRC channels. Show support by idling so we can get a big community.

IRC.Gameradius.org
          #IGPUG (for igers)
          #UT3TDM (weapons)
          #UT3CTF (weapons)

Would be great to idle in all 3. I know weapons players are already pugging and they had a lot so far plus a lot of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by [Da]Stoneco|d View Post
            For color beams, i will say it again since 2003. DO NOT PUT COLOR BEAMS, LEAVE IT ORANGE. We don't care if newbies can't tell if their teammates are shooting at them or if their opponent is shooting at them.
            I don't mind this really, it does help even if you're not a newbie.

I can't count how many times I boosted my teammate of the map into death by accident. And that was with coloured beams.

Make it an option toggle [X] then if it's annoying for some.

Comment

I don't mind others seeing color beams but i want to see ORANGE beam. The UT2k4 people will complain but w/e. If your goal is for a big community and making it more like UT99 then make it ORANGE.

Comment

Originally posted by [Da]Stoneco|d View Post
                Also i would like you guys to come idle in both our weapons and ig IRC channels. Show support by idling so we can get a big community.

IRC.Gameradius.org
                #IGPUG (for igers)
                #UT3TDM (weapons)
                #UT3CTF (weapons)

Would be great to idle in all 3. I know weapons players are already pugging and they had a lot so far plus a lot of competition.
                How many people in those channels? There's no reason to go to those channels if I can to channels on Quakenet like:
                - #insta - for all insta mods in all UT's (150 people minimum, evenings 200.)
                - #ut3 - this chan is new, used for questions and searching praccys for UT3(500 people minimum evenings 700).
                - #ut.duell - very old channel used since UT1, now mainly used for 2k4 since nobody's searching any UT1 praccys anymore. (350 minimum, 550 evenings)

Comment

I will be making a complete IG mutator for UT3 that handles all of this and plenty more. The primary purpose of my mutator is to allow customizable beams but everything is optional and can be adjusted or disabled by server admins. There will also be a "pure" option that disables all the other settings and forces the UT99 settings.

Here are some screenshots of the UT2K3 version (which unfortunately is NOT compatible with UT2K4). The UT2K3 version caters a little more towards the casual player and not the die-hard UT99 fan but don't worry, the UT3 version will be very accommodating to UT99 fans.

http://unrealdev.net/?page=html/port...reenshots.html

Comment

Agree with the OP on this. I want my insta-beams to be angry red slashes that make distant people explode. Or even close people.

Comment

Apathy, do you have reduced gore on or something? When I shoot opponents with the IG rifle they explode.

Colored beams.....meh, I like the orange beams too, but I'm not going to complain whether or not the beams are colored. Doesn't really matter to me.

Team boosting......I wasn't around in UT99 so I don't really care, but if the IG community would be happy with it then I'm all for it too.

As far as zooming and trans......what makes you think these will be included in the full version? IG wasn't even intended to be used in the demo, so I wouldn't pay attention to things like that right now. The zoom and trans have never been allowed in a straight IG game before (at least I don't really recall ever finding a regular grav IG server with translocator and zoom IG was a separate mutator).

If I remember correctly, the IG rifle in the UT2004 demo had zooming capabilities too. But when the full game came out, zoom ig was separate from normal ig.

If for some awful reason they include the trans and zoom in the default IG mutator, then there will be huge backlash from the IG community and I'll be right there with you. Right now, though, I don't see any real evidence that zoom and trans will be included.

edit - Just saw that you said zoom was a normal function for the IG rifle in UT2004......I don't think that's right. Zoom Instagib was a separate mutator, wasn't it?

Comment

No offense to community IG mods and what not. Your efforts will probably be a great and like by a lot of people. In my own stubborn opinion, it would be better if it was done by Epic themselves the first time, so we don't have 9000 different version of IG trying to be the players choice
                        I've played many mutators made by the community trying to bring the feeling of the UT1 Instagib mutator back. Most of them are loaded with tons of options to try and suite everyones needs, but it just didn't happen. Sometimes options are a great thing, but other times it's better to stick to what worked and to not fix what's not broken.

Comment

Oh, this is another opportunity to mention the problem with hitscan weapons. I've already mentioned this in the "gameplay discussion" thread in the "UT3 Demo Feedback" section, but I'm gonna talk about it again.

I shouldn't have to hide my weapon to get it to shoot in the center of the crossheir all the time. But that's the only way I can do it, because the beam/bullet will be off to the left or right of center up to a certain distance. If you don't believe me, get pretty close to a wall and shoot it. Notice where the shot hit. It will be off from center to the left or right, depending on which weapon hand option you're using. Back up a few steps and shoot again. Repeat. You'll notice that as you move farther back, the shot fires closer to the center of the crossheir until a magic point where it's finally centered.

This is dumb, and it is NOT like this in UT2004 like somebody tried to tell me in the other thread. It just doesn't make sense. You'd think it wouldn't make a lot of difference at close range, but with the groundspeed in UT3 being so fast it really does make you miss shots at close range if you're aiming with the expectation that it will fire where the center of the crossheir is. Where you choose to have your weapon displayed should have zero effect on where the gun fires. That's silly.

Comment

Originally posted by rebel7254 View Post
                            Team boosting......I wasn't around in UT99 so I don't really care, but if the IG community would be happy with it then I'm all for it too.
                            Team boosted was used lots in the UT1 IG gameplay. There are so many maps that team boosting played a giant role in.
                            As far as zooming and trans......what makes you think these will be included in the full version? IG wasn't even intended to be used in the demo, so I wouldn't pay attention to things like that right now. The zoom and trans have never been allowed in a straight IG game before (at least I don't really recall ever finding a regular grav IG server with translocator and zoom IG was a separate mutator).
                            I made this thread in hopes that when they do release the full version, they consider what has been said here. I have no idea if it'll be included in the final version, but it doesn't hurt to make a post asking them to not put that stuff in.
                            If I remember correctly, the IG rifle in the UT2004 demo had zooming capabilities too. But when the full game came out, zoom ig was separate from normal ig.
                            Like I said above. The point of this post it to hopefully make sure they don't put zoom and the trans in the IG mutator.
                            We also don't need 2 mutators. We only need one that works.
                            If for some awful reason they include the trans and zoom in the default IG mutator, then there will be huge backlash from the IG community and I'll be right there with you. Right now, though, I don't see any real evidence that zoom and trans will be included.
                            This post is all about making sure it gets done right. I have no proof either, but making this post will hopefully make sure that they don't put the stuff in

edit - Just saw that you said zoom was a normal function for the IG rifle in UT2004......I don't think that's right. Zoom Instagib was a separate mutator, wasn't it?
                            It was a normal function in UT2003 I believe. They separated th mutator making one supposedly normal and the other a Zoom weapon. Though they still BOTH had the trans in the.. Which again, I'm making this post to try and convince them to leave it out

I was going to edit my old post and stick this in there, but it'll be too long lol

EDIT - I meant the orange beam looks and feels better, not red. I edited my first post too and put orange.

Comment

ow come on people, this is a NEW game, not a remake of UT 1 nor UT 2k3/4. A new game means new skills to master, new gameplay etc. Epic makes the decisions, if u arent happy with it, you shouldn't play UT3 but stay at UT1

Comment

Working...
                              X