Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For everyone complaining that...

For everyone complaining that...

... Unreal Tournament 3 is a dumbed-down consolized version of Unreal Tournament 2003/4 because Epic removed dodge-jumps and slowed down weapon switch times, etc

How many of you realize that Unreal Tournament 2003 began its very existence as an Xbox game? At some point during development, it became apparent that Xbox Live wasn't going to be ready in time for Unreal Championship and that, hey, why not also make a PC version since it had been a few years since Unreal Tournament - hence UT 2003.

That's right. All that fancy movement, fast weapon switching, and adrenaline and whatnot... all influenced by console gaming.

Unreal Tournament found its way to the Dreamcast and the PS2, but it was first and foremost a PC game... just like Unreal Tournament 3.

Forget the menu system/server browser because it's already been stated that those need some work. Think about gameplay here. UT3 is not "dumbed down"... it's returning to its roots: Unreal/UT.

I'm just tired of seeing people say that and wanted to share a little perspective.

I think you're drunk. And drinking men's aftershave causes delusions as well...

Comment

Unreal tournament was always a PC game before a console. However they may of had the console in mind, it was not meant to be a halo type game. Which only exists on Xbox unless you upgrade your operating system. Monopoly anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
        I think you're drunk. And drinking men's aftershave causes delusions as well...
        What I said might be uncomfortable for you if you didn't realize it before, but it's an absolute fact.

Comment

Originally posted by hal View Post
          What I said might be uncomfortable for you if you didn't realize it before, but it's an absolute fact.
          Lol, you sound just like Morpheus from the Matrix

Comment

Hal, we had respect for you. It's gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by jacobi289 View Post
              Hal, we had respect for you. It's gone now.
              Pfft whatever. I'm just telling you like it is and you either like that or you don't.

I liked and played thousands upon thousands of hours of UT2003 and UT2004, despite their flaws. All I'm saying is that all the while certain people are whining about UT3 being dumbed down and consolized because it lacks [insert favorite UT2x feature here], that very part of the 'Tournament series was created especially with consoles in mind.

Take it for what you will. I just find it to be ironic.

Comment

Funny how so many people are currently comparing UT3 to Halo. The differences couldn't be more obvious, though. Not to say that Halo is a bad game, but it just isn't anywhere near as fast paced as any one of the UT games. Halo has slower movement style and you can carry only a couple of weapons. In UT3, you have much faster movement and not only can you have several weapons in your immediate inventory, those weapons all have at least one alternate firing mode. Can you say that about Halo?

Hal, Brundlefly was probably just funnin' with ya. It's his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                  Funny how so many people are currently comparing UT3 to Halo. The differences couldn't be more obvious, though. Not to say that Halo is a bad game, but it just isn't anywhere near as fast paced as any one of the UT games. Halo has slower movement style and you can carry only a couple of weapons. In UT3, you have much faster movement and not only can you have several weapons in your immediate inventory, those weapons all have at least one alternate firing mode. Can you say that about Halo?

Hal, Brundlefly was probably just funnin' with ya. It's his way.
                  I totally agree, Any fps you use a controller with is going to be slower then a game you can use kb/mouse. As for it being dumbed down. I don't see any problems with the way it plays. Feels fine for me

Comment

Unreal Tournament 3 is a dumbed-down consolized version of Unreal Tournament 2003/4 because Epic removed dodge-jumps and slowed down weapon switch times, etc

How many of you realize that Unreal Tournament 2003 began its very existence as an Xbox game? At some point during development, it became apparent that Xbox Live wasn't going to be ready in time for Unreal Championship and that, hey, why not also make a PC version since it had been a few years since Unreal Tournament - hence UT 2003.

That's right. All that fancy movement, fast weapon switching, and adrenaline and whatnot... all influenced by console gaming.

Unreal Tournament found its way to the Dreamcast and the PS2, but it was first and foremost a PC game... just like Unreal Tournament 3.

Forget the menu system/server browser because it's already been stated that those need some work. Think about gameplay here. It's not "dumbing down"... it's returning to your roots.

I'm just tired of seeing people say that and wanted to share a little perspective.
                    The man speaks the truth. :tup:

If youve known anything about Unreals history you wouldnt deny it.

Comment

At some point during development, it became apparent that Xbox Live wasn't going to be ready in time for Unreal Championship and that, hey, why not also make a PC version since it had been a few years since Unreal Tournament - hence UT 2003.

Unless you were a dev at that time you can't know why the Xbox version / pc version or ever UC was made.

Stop making your own stuff up and twisting it enough to serve your argument.

You get a F- from me on your post.

Comment

Originally posted by |Shock| View Post
                        Unless you were a dev at that time you can't know why the Xbox version / pc version or ever UC was made.

Do your research troll. 0-2.

"During development Epic Games decided to port this game to the PC as Unreal Tournament 2003 (or UT2003), which actually got released before Unreal Championship."

Source: Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by |Shock| View Post

What a funny little man you are. What you may not realize is that there were a lot of us UT fans way back in the day who closely tracked the development of these games. Heck, we still do it today. Just the fact that you are calling Hal a liar shows your lack of knowledge of UT history.

Comment

im with this hal guy. u dont like the new ut, u didnt like any of the uts. so go get ur halo, or castle wolfenstein, and leave us ut players alone to play in peace

Comment

Originally posted by Amikar View Post
                              Do your research troll. 0-2.

"During development Epic Games decided to port this game to the PC as Unreal Tournament 2003 (or UT2003), which actually got released before Unreal Championship."

Source: Wikipedia
                              Read what I wrote asshat, noone knows why EPIC decided why they made the PC version, not you, not me, only EPIC.

Using that as an argument by making up your own guess as to why, is lame.

You get a F- too cause you can't read.

<girl

Comment

Working...
                              X