Video Card or PC Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey pickles, love your videos.

I recommend a CPU upgrade, to the fastest one you can get for your socket. Then a RAM upgrade. I think that'll do more for you than a second video card and Crossfire.

Comment

ur pc is good dont need to waste more money because u can still using it. one year more or less, with the SP1 of win vista, will appear DX10.1, then u buy a graphic card totally compatible with 10.1 =)

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
        Hey pickles, love your videos.

I recommend a CPU upgrade, to the fastest one you can get for your socket. Then a RAM upgrade. I think that'll do more for you than a second video card and Crossfire.
        Unfortunately, I have the biggest processor for my motherboard (socket 939).

Could definitely use more ram...

Though I could go with a FX but because UT3 takes advantage of two cores I'm not entirely sure if that's a good idea.

Comment

I suppose I could go with an overclocked opteron to hit the 3gig mark...

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
            I think you should get the flux capacitor and a radio frequency cavity installed in your comp.

Yes, definitely the flux capacitor, 2 of them are better if you have 2 open slots. Just make sure your power supply can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by picKLes View Post
              I suppose I could go with an overclocked opteron to hit the 3gig mark...
              The opteron 185 runs at 2.6GHz, seen it on newegg for $219. I have had no luck with the OC on my opteron 180. That may be my value ram limiting me, but I have not heard that these particular opterons are good for the OC at all. Same story on the Toledo.

Comment

There are some good opteron 185 steppings out there that can do 3GHz+ ...just search the xtremesystems forums...

Comment

Problem with that is my motherboard is really more designed for ATI and not Nvidia... If I do a full PC upgrade then thats probably who I'll go with.

Though I suppose I could get two 2600XT and crossfire them for about 300-350?
                  The 2600XT are mid range cards that perform poorly compared to even the least expensive 8800 card.
                  check out the benchmarks;
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...out/page8.html

Your current card is way faster than the best 2600, look at the benchmarks; card.http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=722&chart=278

Comment

Wait for prices to fall

Maybe I'll wait as well until I know for sure what to do... I'm hoping to take the cheapest route on this deal.
                    Prices will fall before spring. New cards will come out. Plus, benchmarks will be available and you will not have to guess what cards are better.

Comment

Doh... Your absolutely right 2600XT no good!

Comment

Working...
                      X