Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Card or PC Upgrade?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Video Card or PC Upgrade?

    I'm in the middle of a fricken dilemma here I don't know if I should go with the a PC upgrade or just go to crossfire with more memory? Obviously one is much cheaper than the other, but my goal here is to run UT3 on full everything with good FPS.

    What do you guys think?

    PC Specs:
    XP PRO
    AMD X2 4800
    Asus A8R-MVP32
    OCZ 2GB DDR2
    X1900XTX
    2 Raptor 150G
    X-FI Sound Card

    #2
    I think you should get the flux capacitor and a radio frequency cavity installed in your comp.







    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
      I think you should get the flux capacitor and a radio frequency cavity installed in your comp.







      Can you provide a link plz ........ cus I'm planning on building my first comp and i would like to have it......... I'm building it on newegg

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
        I think you should get the flux capacitor and a radio frequency cavity installed in your comp.







        It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt...lol

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by picKLes View Post
          I'm in the middle of a fricken dilemma here I don't know if I should go with the a PC upgrade or just go to crossfire with more memory? Obviously one is much cheaper than the other, but my goal here is to run UT3 on full everything with good FPS.

          What do you guys think?

          PC Specs:
          XP PRO
          AMD X2 4800
          Asus A8R-MVP32
          OCZ 2GB DDR2
          X1900XTX
          2 Raptor 150G
          X-FI Sound Card
          Um.......... Upgrade the video card. You're good on everything else.

          Comment


            #6
            yeah get the 8800GTS 640 and u wont be srry !!!! if not the 640 then the 320mb one they really good and the 320mb 8800GTS works better then most 512mb video cards

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Brutal View Post
              yeah get the 8800GTS 640 and u wont be srry !!!! if not the 640 then the 320mb one they really good and the 320mb 8800GTS works better then most 512mb video cards
              Problem with that is my motherboard is really more designed for ATI and not Nvidia... If I do a full PC upgrade then thats probably who I'll go with.

              Though I suppose I could get two 2600XT and crossfire them for about 300-350?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by picKLes View Post
                I'm in the middle of a fricken dilemma here I don't know if I should go with the a PC upgrade or just go to crossfire with more memory? Obviously one is much cheaper than the other, but my goal here is to run UT3 on full everything with good FPS.

                What do you guys think?
                Pickles, I have a similar rig and had an entire thread on this that might be of some help to you: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=580596

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 3NVY View Post
                  Pickles, I have a similar rig and had an entire thread on this that might be of some help to you: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=580596
                  YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Keep in mind the 8800 out performs the 2900XT. Even if it is an ATi motherboard, you can still used a Nvidia graphics card as long as its a pci-e 16x expansion slot.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Psycho1989 View Post
                      Keep in mind the 8800 out performs the 2900XT. Even if it is an ATi motherboard, you can still used a Nvidia graphics card as long as its a pci-e 16x expansion slot.
                      Not true re: performance. See: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=580993

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yes and no. The 8800GTX and 2900XT 1gb perform very closely, however the 8800 slightly still takes the lead for around the same price. There is no saving "hundreds".

                        http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2159&page=1

                        There is an entire article, where the 2900XT 1gb compete vs the 8800GTX 768mb. Now for the extra 256mb, and same price I would expect it to take the lead in most games which it did not. It competed right along the lines with the 8800GTX, which isn't even the top 8800 card.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The X2900XT slaughters the 8800GTS in this game, but it'd be stupid to buy it off it's performance in the beta of one game. I'd buy (and will buy) the GTS mostly because of it's superior AA performance. If I want to play with out AA I'd just stick with my x1800XT. I will wait until the 29th to buy it to see if there's any truth to the rumors of a 112 Sp GTS.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Maybe I'll wait as well until I know for sure what to do... I'm hoping to take the cheapest route on this deal.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The best route is most likely a 8800GTS 320 or 640. Not to extremely priced, however high performance but not the best. I myself have decided instead of upgrading to an 8800gts, to upgrade my cpu, memory and video card. I have a single core 3700, upgrading to a 4200 dual core. Ram is going from 512mb to 1gb and 512mb's. I am upgrading my video card to a 1950XT, which is around $200. For the overall price, still cheaper then the 8800gts 320mb.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X