Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map scaling, Hitscan and "skill"

Map scaling and dodge jumping -

When compared to previous games, the maps seem very toned down. The two DM maps are pretty "close quarters" and most of the action takes place up close. As such Dodge jumping isn't required....at least not to the extent where it was a necessity in 2kx. One can get from one corner to another with relative ease in a short time and with the addition of jump boots, wall dodging and greater air control, you can be bobbing about the map very smoothly. If the DM maps are any indication, one can safely assume the CTF maps will be the same. And while the absence of dodge-jumping and the shield gun might change the gameplay a lot, it would only be a matter of getting used to. This isn't 2k4 where the attacking team held down the shock primary while the defensive team/fc ran backwards altclicking the shield gun. Teamwork and co-ordination will play a much bigger role in CTF in UT3.

Which brings me to the next point - Hitscan. I for one am glad the game isn't about a race to the shock rifle/LG anymore. Games in 2k4 got monotonous real fast. Grab Shock, hold down left click and get in a good 3 shots from knockbacks...opponent pops shield, run to health pack....rinse and repeat. This funda was so prevalent because most maps had large open spaces. And while the two DM maps do have open spaces, they offer ways in which one can make a successful retreat while not necessarily constricting the attacking party's offense. This map design promotes the use of different weapons, making you rely on much more than just hitscan. This is progress not regress. And to really succeed a certain level of skill is required.

What is skill? Skill isn't the ability to tap D,D,Space Bar. It isn't the ability to fire a loaded rocket launcher or a combo at a crowded location in a FFA game. It isn't the ability to lower your sensitivity to 0.5 and land 5 hits on an opponent in 5 seconds possible only due to the property of the gun in use. Skill is the ability to adapt, to get accumstomed to the changes, to be able to change your style and still come out on top. I've played UT99 and I had a lot of fun. I moved on to 2k3, I adapted to the changes and I had fun. The same with 2k4. But these games have long since past their prime. Let them go. Play UT3, learn to adapt and enjoy the game. Yes, we know your precious movement has been cut short (you'd be dodge jumping into walls anyway), your precious hitscan abuse has been toned down...get the **** over it. I did and am having a blast.

This game is easy to pick up, but it will be a while before it is mastered.

PS - please change the menu and wep switch speed =D

This .. is perhaps the single best first-post I have ever seen, of any person, on any forum. Intelligent writing, proper points, friendly tone. It's just an added benefit that I personally agree entirely with the post itself, as well.

Welcome to the boards.

Comment

While I agree with what you posted I'd just like to ask why everyone is writing essays to make their point about a VIDEO GAME...i like gaming as much as anyone else here but this just borders on futility writing this much.

Comment

seems kinda like the post I made a while ago. and got flammed a bunch for

Comment

Originally posted by -VT- View Post
          While I agree with what you posted I'd just like to ask why everyone is writing essays to make their point about a VIDEO GAME...i like gaming as much as anyone else here but this just borders on futility writing this much.
          This is nothing, you ever read the WoW / GW or any mmo forum that talks about balance, they don't write essays there, they write whole novels.

Comment

This game is going to come down to hitscan again just like every other game does.

Comment

Sylar wins. He also very describes some of the main points that has me hyped for this game. Well done.

Comment

great post, good points, 100% agree. You win the internet.

Comment

Good first post. Finally, someone with some perspective.

Comment

is very good posting +1 ftw <wink>

Comment

Sylar, you make some excellent points and observations. You said exactly what I've been feeling over the last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderHIGH View Post
                        This game is going to come down to hitscan again just like every other game does.
                        The original UT didnt come down to just hitscan. You can defeat people who have better aim than you if you are better at other aspects of the game.

Comment

Even now hitscanners still do extremely well in UT3 o_O Rockets too, triple rocket is almost a guaranteed hit if you aim at them. Stinger spam is still quite overbearing...maybe when there's an option to disable weaponstay will balance come back a bit.(and weapon throw)

Comment

Originally posted by Sylar View Post
                            Map scaling and dodge jumping -

When compared to previous games, the maps seem very toned down. The two DM maps are pretty "close quarters" and most of the action takes place up close. As such Dodge jumping isn't required....at least not to the extent where it was a necessity in 2kx. One can get from one corner to another with relative ease in a short time and with the addition of jump boots, wall dodging and greater air control, you can be bobbing about the map very smoothly. If the DM maps are any indication, one can safely assume the CTF maps will be the same. And while the absence of dodge-jumping and the shield gun might change the gameplay a lot, it would only be a matter of getting used to. This isn't 2k4 where the attacking team held down the shock primary while the defensive team/fc ran backwards altclicking the shield gun. Teamwork and co-ordination will play a much bigger role in CTF in UT3.

Which brings me to the next point - Hitscan. I for one am glad the game isn't about a race to the shock rifle/LG anymore. Games in 2k4 got monotonous real fast. Grab Shock, hold down left click and get in a good 3 shots from knockbacks...opponent pops shield, run to health pack....rinse and repeat. This funda was so prevalent because most maps had large open spaces. And while the two DM maps do have open spaces, they offer ways in which one can make a successful retreat while not necessarily constricting the attacking party's offense. This map design promotes the use of different weapons, making you rely on much more than just hitscan. This is progress not regress. And to really succeed a certain level of skill is required.

What is skill? Skill isn't the ability to tap D,D,Space Bar. It isn't the ability to fire a loaded rocket launcher or a combo at a crowded location in a FFA game. It isn't the ability to lower your sensitivity to 0.5 and land 5 hits on an opponent in 5 seconds possible only due to the property of the gun in use. Skill is the ability to adapt, to get accumstomed to the changes, to be able to change your style and still come out on top. I've played UT99 and I had a lot of fun. I moved on to 2k3, I adapted to the changes and I had fun. The same with 2k4. But these games have long since past their prime. Let them go. Play UT3, learn to adapt and enjoy the game. Yes, we know your precious movement has been cut short (you'd be dodge jumping into walls anyway), your precious hitscan abuse has been toned down...get the **** over it. I did and am having a blast.

This game is easy to pick up, but it will be a while before it is mastered.

PS - please change the menu and wep switch speed =D
                            nice post, agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by spiderHIGH View Post
                              rofl no way, hitscan it MUCH more useless in this game... dont be silly

Comment

Working...
                              X