This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut3 isn't the future. It's the past

Ut3 will have a strong opening, just like every ut game has. Making Ut3 'like' Ut99 was a bad idea. Most people know the reason behind ut99 being as popular as it was is due to the fact any system could run it. I played it just fine back in the day on a cheap geforce mx video card with a 400mhz cpu. Ut2k3 came a long, most people lagged, a lot of people complained that character skins blended into maps. Competitive mods were even put out to brighten up skins but it just never helped get the game a strong community like 99 had. Most of the people I knew from ut99 clans went back and swore up and down that 2k3 was horrible. Everyone has their own opinion.

Dodge jumping, the shieldgun.. the lg.. They didn't hurt the Unreal name. 2K* xloc wasn't as good as 99, but we got the shieldgun to improve flag running. A lot of things improved. The game flowed better than 99 imo, the pace was the future of fps. It wasn't your slow paced Halo. If you were to go into a server and Wicked Sick the **** out of everyone until people accused you of botting, you had to be good. If you think dodge jumping gave you some sort of edge on the competition.. you are wrong. Dodge jumping in combat sent you into an easily predictable path, do it verse a competitive player and a respawn was waiting for you.

Little things like the shield belt and jump boots wont bring back the crowd. We had jump boot mods in 2k4, most recognized in bollwerk. Sure they are fun, but it's not ground breaking stuff. It's nothing we haven't seen before.

We get back the same lame vehicles from 2k4, vehicles that might as well have their weapons removed so people can focus even more on just running you over when you aren't looking. Now without dodge jumping it will be even harder to avoid getting lamonaded. Avril makes its big return, the ultimate fire and go brown your hamburg for your hamburger helper dinner just in time to get back and kill that poor manta just trying to run people over. Where's the fun in this?

If we're looking to build a community the size of something like Halo, we probably aren't going to. Halo works for consoles, it's fun. It's not as meticulous as Ut, so it is enjoyable with a controller. Most people have an xbox 360 these days, not a decked out pc. Everyone knows Ut doesn't belong on a console. It doesn't work. Put ps3 users up against us on pcs, they are nothing but food. Halo dominates the console, while world of warcrap dominates the pc.

Ut3 isn't the future. It's the complete definition of a blast from the past. We'll have a blast with it, but we will soon realize we've done this before. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just going on our track record. Lets just hope the servers with people playing on it aren't just demo servers (2k4 anyone?) The demo maps are snoozers.

The future of gaming that has a lasting community is going to be MMO. The next good mmo fps (not that garbage Huxley) will take a big piece of the cake away from Blizzard. If Epic stepped into this territory, it would quickly become theirs. Regardless, UT3 will get my support upon arrival. I'm looking forward to it.

only one thing to say:

amen

Comment

This kind of attitude annoys me, eventho I kinda agree

Comment

Agree. The flow from UT2k made UT. UT3 doesn't have that flow anymore.

They went console, and sold out a bit imo.

Comment

Who cares what it is. I play games that are fun. My opinion is that UT3 is fun and Halo is not. If you think Halo is fun, go ahead and play it. Nobody cares.

Comment

stop crying and making 7 paragraphs of **** on why we should make another ut2k4

they went back because UT99 was GOTY for a reason.

Comment

I agree and disagree on many points.

UT3 is fun and will be fun. Its a good game which needs some fine tuning, however i think its just fine for the majority of the movement and weapons.

Going back to basics for movement is a plus for me, as although dodging gives a predictable path, this is only useful for hitscan, as you can put in another dodge by the time the rocket gets to you. The movement in UT3 fixes this problem.

When i get on a killing spree in this game, it feels awesome. You know that you are owning everyone and its rewarding. In UT99 it was like this also, but in UT2004 it didnt have the same great feel to it of when you repetitively rack up the kills.

Comment

Originally posted by candyshooter View Post
                Agree. The flow from UT2k made UT. UT3 doesn't have that flow anymore.

They went console, and sold out a bit imo.
                Wrong. UT3 flow is perfect, just because the movement isn't as airborne as UT2k4 doesn't make it slow. Run speed more than makes up for the lack of air based options. Once you get used to the style of UT3 dodges the game is perfectly balanced and far more offensive than UT2K4 defensive matches.

UT3 is a step in the right direction.

Martin C x

Comment

Amen brotha..

Comment

i disagree with your points, the Unreal Tournament series are not going to be games that will evolve to amazing creations as each installment comes out. They should feel similar to each other, yet different. The reason is they are DeathMatch games. Why even talk about UT so much, how about we talk about CS1.6? It's such a BLAST from the PAST that CS:S is the next big thing? Call of Duty 2/4 has the SAME gameplay, different skins, a few different moves... but the gameplay is the SAME. Are you saying noone will play these games? Just look at various online leagues and the money they pay winners.

I think UT3 is the game that will be the king of all DM games if it gets polished in time. The UT3 BETA DEMO is already a much bigger success than Quake 4's full release.

The game brings many old favorites and brings some new stuff (mostly the movement, even though it could ultimately look the same to you, to many it doesn't) as well as different maps and weapons which are already shaping up the new flow of team deathmatch.

UT3 is going to be the next big game at lans, as long as it gets polished enough. It is highly competitive and highly addictive. What else could you want?

It feels new to me, and to A LOT of other people. Epic needs to make sure that polish is in place when the full release comes out otherwise everything will fall in water... but I am highly optimistic and i believe it won't.

Comment

@Technique
                      Are you asking UT3 to be more innovated?

Comment

@ Corax

- I'm not saying the game is bad. The movement is fine, but it was fine in 2k4 as well. My point is, 2k4 died hard fast. My opinion is the things we changed are not the reason why we burned out fast. Also, from the time now and until the game is released, don't expect major balance changes. That has already taken place. If you feel the game isn't polished right now, you're in for a scare come launch.

@ Kronos

- Innovation is key, without losing touch of who and what we are about. The innovation I see now is in the graphics. Yes, it looks **** good. Aside from that, we have a new 2008 box running on 1999 mechanics with some 2004 performance parts thrown in here and there. We like when our car looks nice, but to some people it's more important that it perform well.

I like UT3, I hate the vehicle gametypes, I'm straight up old school ctf. Give me an xloc and a flag to grab and catch me if you can. I'm sure the innovation is in this new warfare gametype.

Comment

Only thing i wished for was some new weapons. Old favs are great and all but something different is nice.

Comment

I dont believe UT3 has gone back to its original roots, it feels like an entirely different game then UT1 or UT2k4.

I'm very pleased with the road its taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                              I dont believe UT3 has gone back to its original roots, it feels like an entirely different game then UT1 or UT2k4.

I'm very pleased with the road its taken.
                              Originally posted by corax View Post
                              i disagree with your points, the Unreal Tournament series are not going to be games that will evolve to amazing creations as each installment comes out. They should feel similar to each other, yet different. The reason is they are DeathMatch games. Why even talk about UT so much, how about we talk about CS1.6? It's such a BLAST from the PAST that CS:S is the next big thing? Call of Duty 2/4 has the SAME gameplay, different skins, a few different moves... but the gameplay is the SAME. Are you saying noone will play these games? Just look at various online leagues and the money they pay winners.

I think UT3 is the game that will be the king of all DM games if it gets polished in time. The UT3 BETA DEMO is already a much bigger success than Quake 4's full release.

The game brings many old favorites and brings some new stuff (mostly the movement, even though it could ultimately look the same to you, to many it doesn't) as well as different maps and weapons which are already shaping up the new flow of team deathmatch.

UT3 is going to be the next big game at lans, as long as it gets polished enough. It is highly competitive and highly addictive. What else could you want?

It feels new to me, and to A LOT of other people. Epic needs to make sure that polish is in place when the full release comes out otherwise everything will fall in water... but I am highly optimistic and i believe it won't.
                              Two points I can't help but completely agree with. Which .. puts me in an opposite position as the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X