Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's been a while and whats this I see?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    It's been a while and whats this I see?

    I'm a UT99'er and played that game into the ground from when it first came out till probably after UT2k4 came out. I tried UT2k4 but found the style didn't suite me and went on a hiatus from the game. Now that UT3 is coming out I'm pumped about what I've been seeing and have already been playing the demo. It feels like I never left, the movements are beautiful to me and the weapons are fun (albeit a little slower than the UT99's but thats understandable, someone increase the speed at which we swap weapons pleaseeeee!).

    I've been browsing the forums and see this huge thread about dodge jumping. Can someone please explain to me whats going on with that? Since I dropped UT2k4 and never played UT2k3, to me the jump dodge is second nature in UT3. Without flaming UT99'ers and UT2k'ers can someone explain to me what the differences were between the two and why this has become such an issue?

    -Adelaide
    (aka [DD]Adelaide/Addy back in the day.)

    #2
    In UT2k3/4 you could double jump in the middle of a dodge to go double or more the distance of a normal dodge. That is it. It made the game very floaty and screwed up the scaling of maps/players

    Comment


      #3
      Yea, in UT2k3/4 you could fly like 17 metres through the air when you dodged, it was just stupid.... Im glad they got rid of it and just went back to dodge.

      Comment


        #4
        It was also more hitscan oriented where skilled more accurate players dominated the spammers.

        UT3 is more spam oriented now.....

        Comment


          #5
          I only played ut2k4 but when watchin people double jump in maps i hated it. It is usefull but imo the game is better without. I dont reallly see why theres such a fuss about dodge jump im also happy with the movement in game. I reckon people will get used to it if dodge jump is not enabled.

          Comment


            #6
            Sabo has already covered what the dodge jump is so I will explain why there is so much fighting.

            Playing with the dodge jump requires a different set of skills than playing without it. The flaming comes from people that only have the skills to play 1 way and, will not or can not, adapt to the other way of playing.

            Most of the debate is childish arguing over something that can and will be changed with user made mutators within a week of the games actual launch.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Senji View Post
              It was also more hitscan oriented where skilled more accurate players dominated the spammers.

              UT3 is more spam oriented now.....
              No, UT3 is just requires a wider range of skill. In 2k4 you didn't have to learn more then a move and ***** 2 weapons to be able to pwn the nubs.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Senji View Post
                It was also more hitscan oriented where skilled more accurate players dominated the spammers.

                UT3 is more spam oriented now.....
                Soooooooooooo Now............"Spammers RULE!!" OH, YEAH..

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
                  No, UT3 is just requires a wider range of skill. In 2k4 you didn't have to learn more then a move and ***** 2 weapons to be able to pwn the nubs.
                  Ow dont get me wrong, I'm not saying theres no skill in spamming ... there's obviously a sport in it ( aparantly ). But you can't deny that UT2k* is more hitscan related and almost the complete opposite with UT3.

                  What makes you think precision UT2k* players'll have trouble spamming? Its practically a more stepped down ... technique. I dont know about the rest of the 2k4 players but I feel that I shouldn't have deal with this kind of thing. But like i always say, it won't stop me from playing and adapting to this "wider range of skill" gameplay.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Senji View Post
                    Ow dont get me wrong, I'm not saying theres no skill in spamming ... there's obviously a sport in it ( aparantly ). But you can't deny that UT2k* is more hitscan related and almost the complete opposite with UT3.

                    What makes you think precision UT2k* players'll have trouble spamming? Its practically a more stepped down ... technique. I dont know about the rest of the 2k4 players but we feel we shouldn't have deal with this kind of problem. But like i always say, it won't stop me from playing and adapting to this "wider range of skill" gameplay.
                    Since you use the word "spamming" to describe everything that is not hit scan it's easy to get the impression you are one of those who thinks aim=skill, but I might be wrong.^^

                    I don't think 2k4 players will have any problems, good players will adapt and overcome no matter what game is put in their hands. There is a group of players thou that have struggled a long time to reach a semi-high level of play, and when the settings change they are the ones that has the hardest time keeping up. Suddenly they are pushed back, instead of trying to learn the new rules they scream "change the game!" and finally quits.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Sabo View Post
                      In UT2k3/4 you could double jump in the middle of a dodge to go double or more the distance of a normal dodge. That is it. It made the game very floaty and screwed up the scaling of maps/players
                      Thanks for that!

                      Originally posted by Q03 View Post
                      Sabo has already covered what the dodge jump is so I will explain why there is so much fighting.

                      Playing with the dodge jump requires a different set of skills than playing without it. The flaming comes from people that only have the skills to play 1 way and, will not or can not, adapt to the other way of playing.

                      Most of the debate is childish arguing over something that can and will be changed with user made mutators within a week of the games actual launch.
                      From what I can imagine, it would have been very annoying to have the double dodge in the middle of your initial dodge. Almost like playing on a low grav server I guess, you just dodge for huge distances and would only allow the shock rifle and sniper rifle as the two main weapons of choice in the game. Sure it takes skill to aim and have finely honed reflexes for that, but I can see how it just becomes monotonous if only 2 weapons in the game are the most effective.

                      Q03 has a point, once it launches we'll definetly see the mutators come out and the option 'to dodge or not to dodge' will be available. The current dodge is fine imo though, the maps I've played so far accomadate the dodging and its better than just jumping 2 feet and running. If I wasn't able to dodge I'd feel like I'm playing just another one of the fps out there. I personally enjoy the way dodge is set up in the game right now.

                      Thanks for the info guys!

                      -Addy

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X