VGA Card Memory - 256mb is more than enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VGA Card Memory - 256mb is more than enough

Well it is for me, I have a X1950XT and it runs the game at 1600-1200 without a glitch with the settings on max. Kept seeing posts which says you will get really sluggish performance if you don't have a VGA card with loads of onboard mem, well tbh this aint true in my opinion. Anyone else running the game like a dream with a 256b card.

Oh my rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 clocked at 2.8ghz
    Sapphire 256mb ATI X1950XT
    GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel
    Running Windows XP Profesional

Yes there is a benchmark web page that shows nearly identical performance between the 8800gts 640MB and 320MB versions.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...tid=327&page=1

I presume that since consoles have much less ram and video RAM, that the game requires less PC video RAM. Even though it's a PC native game the designers seem to be minimizing memory requirements to make porting easier.. ?? Just a guess.

Comment

With the higher resolution textures in the full release it might not be

Comment

Benchmarks showing how big detailed textures run a lot faster on 512 are the reason I bought a 512 instead of a 256.

Comment

I just traded that badboy in for a 1GB 2900 PRO which I flashed to XT...cost me just $385 and I will be ebaying the other one for at least $140...you'll be shocked at the diff at high res...I don't like going below 100fps and 40-60fps is out of the question and unacceptable at least for me...I saw another guy post screenies from his Core2-X system with an 8800GTX @ 1440x900 and I am getting at least the same performance as he is off a Dual Opteron 185/DFI LP SLI-DR Expert/2GB Corsair XMS 4400PRO ...and the card is 1/2 the price - an absolute STEAL!! So much so I may just post a thread on it!! lol

Comment

Working...
          X