Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck?! Shock primary still doing 45 damage per hit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think it's fine. 2 hits from them to have 10 health left is good.
    The primary on the shock rifle is unchanged from ut2004 except that it fires faster, i believe. Secondary travels faster and i'm unsure of if it's damage is changed.

The Combo i believe is much better, more like UT99's, but you can't combo as stupidly close to you as you could in ut99.

UT99's shock was a bit overpowered. :| The SR definitely was.

I think the weapon balance is great in ut3 and shouldn't be touched.

Comment

The shock is still an incredibly powerful weapon. I expect it to stil be the #1 weapon frag-wise in pretty much all upper level competition. I'm still quite bad at UT3 at this point, and I can absolutely dominate with the shock. Calling the shock weak is a big ROFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Worlock View Post
        The shock is still an incredibly powerful weapon. I expect it to stil be the #1 weapon frag-wise in pretty much all upper level competition. I'm still quite bad at UT3 at this point, and I can absolutely dominate with the shock. Calling the shock weak is a big ROFL.
        some people are ROFL...

and shock is still the beast it was in 2k4. que sera i suppose.

Comment

Shock is the same, but the other guns are beefed up. Levels it a bit in the end. Against vehicles it has lost a lot of sting thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
            Did the fire rate change? 60 damage is a sniper hit, so unless the beam got the fire rate of the sniper, it'd be quite uber. And why have two guns that deal the same damage at the same rate?
            No, the difference was that in UT99, the sniper had way to high of a ROF, so the shock was fine. Now if it was increased to 60, it would be the same as the sniper, so the sniper should be increased to either 65 or 70 (come on, you get hit with a sniper bullet and you're dead), and the shock increased to 50, possibly lowering the ROF slightly.

Actually, the best sniper rifle in any game made by Epic was in Unreal II -- the only good feature about it. Unfortunately it was hardly used in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
              I mean it should be 2 hit with lower ROF, not 3 hit with higher ROF. This still allows for the knockback spam, etc... And 2 hit is just more... well, satisfying, even if the ROF is decreased.

Not IMO.
              That would totally unbalance it and make the Sniper obsolete. Currently the Sniper is sitting at 70 damage, upping the damage on the Shock would suddenly make that the more desirable weapon in just about all instances. It's taken 2 tries before they got it right. In 99 the damage was too high, in 2k4 the rate of fire was too high.

The weapon is far more balanced in this version than the previous 2.

As you pointed it it is your opinion, I don't share that opinion and the folks that opinion. Of course you could make a mut, I dont' think it would be that difficult, then again I've never tried to make one.

Comment

It is already far easy enough to kill someone in 3 hits with the shock. Make it two, and you will be dying in less than a second from all over the map, and that would be retarded.

The shock is the all around most powerful weapon in the game. It is deadly from every range except point blank. How can you seriously want it even more so?

I'd like to add there have been discussions elsewhere that the shock ROF/damage is already close to making the sniper needless. Add more power and that will for sure be the case.

Comment

I'm not looking for hardcore settings, it should be normal. It was perfect in UT99 except for the fact that the tracer was not instant hit which was one of the most annoying things in the whole game -- very confusing.

If it was abused so much in UT2004, then why has it been left the same? It is no worse than UT2004, it is the same level of bad, if that is even proper grammar. All the other weapons are great, except the flack cannon needs a slightly faster ROF on the primary and a better arc on the secondary. The RL splash damage could also stand for a slight increase but the shock rifle is really annoying. Not only does it sound, look and feel weak, but is IS weak! And epic had specifically said this was going to change. Note I am only referring to the primary, the cores and combos are OK, other than the combo explosion being to big for the actual damage radius.
                  If you played Competitive 2k4 you would understand how outrageous the shock rifle was. It's incredibly high rate of fire mixed with it's knock back effect, and it's slow traveling and large shock core made the shock combo incredibly useful and effective in all ranges of combat.

EDIT: For the record for those who dont know, the UT3 version sports a slower rate of fire, a lessened knockback effect, a faster traveling core, and a smaller core.

Comment

The Sniper is 70 damage in UT3? Well, thats really good. I actually was confused and did not say what I was trying to say correctly.

The shock rifle should do 50 points of damage, and take the difference in ROF of the shock and the sniper, cut it in half, and decrease the shock ROF by that figure.

The combo also needs to be fixed, making the explosion animation smaller. The sniper should then stay the same, possibly make it's tracer slightly less visible, right now it looks like a railgun.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon View Post
                      Damage is same as 2k4 with decreased knock back and Rate of Fire. They finally got it right.
                      If that's the case, they did indeed get it right. GJ Epic. 2 hit kills would be lame, 3 is just right. Get 2 hits, finish with link or stinger.

Comment

The shock rifle should do 50 points of damage, and take the difference in ROF of the shock and the sniper, cut it in half, and decrease the shock ROF by that figure.
                        Or just leave it the way it is.

The combo also needs to be fixed, making the explosion animation smaller. The sniper should then stay the same, possibly make it's tracer slightly less visible, right now it looks like a railgun.
                        Ok here is the thing about the combo I've noticed but havent' tested. The combo explosion is huge. However, it seems damage is proportional to the distance from the center of the explosion. I am gonna have to do some testing but I've hit several players with a combo then shock prime and they are still alive.

As for the Sniper... I was a HUGE critic of using that instead of the LG, but I really don't have any complaints about it. Come to think of it, I actually like the weapon

Comment

The sniper is a good weapon, but the tracer is just a [sarcasm]bit[/sarcasm] over the top. It looks like the Q3 railgun.

Comment

I know this for a fact, that epic said specifically during the IRC interview, as well as in a formal website interview, that the weapon damage levels would be returning to UT99 levels. Well, the shock sure hasn't.

It is still only doing 45 damage points per hit, vs 60 in UT99. Meaning it takes 3 hits to kill instead of 2. That is really, really weak. And the primary fire not only IS weak in UT3 but it also feels, looks and sounds weak, just like a quick little burst.

The combo is all right but as someone stated before, most of it's damage is done inside the radius of the explosion. That is bad, and needs to be addressed.

But what the heck about the primary? In fact I think I remember epic specifically saying the shock would return to 60 damage points (though I am not totally positive on that one)!! Funny no one noticed this or just have not posted on it.

What gives, epic? Please tell me this will change for the full release.
                            lol lol lewl lewl

Comment

the shock rifles ROF has been decreased to be similar to UT99...so the damage should be there too...

Comment

I'll agree that it sounds/looks a bit weak atm. The sound is quite weak and it doesn't look like much either, but imo the damage and ROF are fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X