Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGEIA PhysX Accelerator Card

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone out there was/is currently running either the BFG or ASUS AGEIA PhysX Accelerator card in UT3 Demo?
    http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrphysx128p.aspx

I noticed there is a selection in the advanced video settings to enable hardware physx, but do not have my BFG card yet. It is on it's way, but just wondering if anyone can say if it truly adds to the effects or not? Not sure if this option is even enabled in the demo or not?

My specs:
    ABIT Ib9 mobo
    Intel P Core 2 Duo 2.66
    Win vista HP 32 bit
    Crucial 4 GB RAM
    BFG 8800 Ultra OC
    DELL UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30 in Widescreen Flat Panel LCD running at 2560 x 1600 / 60 Hz
    running demo at full rez and max settings with 62(capped) FPS
    Game looks/runs smooth as silk!

Thanx-

youtube+google

Here's a youtube vid showing regular gameplay footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnz-0ApWB0
    comment straight from the guy that posted the vid:
    "
    Machine Specs:
    Q6600 - XFX8800GTS + Ageia PhysX Card - 2GB Corsair 6400 - Running on Vista

Played the same level with the PhysX Card enabled and Disabled. Unnoticeable particle count difference, although CPU Usage was anywhere to 20% to 30% more with the PhysX Card disabled.

This is the Demo - Full version may have different results (more)
    "

A demo of the physx specific multiplayer level:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08cP3Wom-9w
    IMHO it would be nice if there were physx only versions of all the multiplayer maps.

ATM I don't own a physx card, however depending on the physx specific levels I might buy one.

Comment

ah nice find !!!!!!!................could use better picture guality tho lol

Comment

Originally posted by qamulek View Post
        Here's a youtube vid showing regular gameplay footage:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnz-0ApWB0
        comment straight from the guy that posted the vid:
        "
        Machine Specs:
        Q6600 - XFX8800GTS + Ageia PhysX Card - 2GB Corsair 6400 - Running on Vista

Played the same level with the PhysX Card enabled and Disabled. Unnoticeable particle count difference, although CPU Usage was anywhere to 20% to 30% more with the PhysX Card disabled.

This is the Demo - Full version may have different results (more)
        "

IMHO it would be nice if there were physx only versions of all the multiplayer maps.

ATM I don't own a physx card, however depending on the physx specific levels I might buy one.
        Thanx for the info, was realy just wondering if anyone out there has had a first hand look at the game by playing the Demo with an actual card...
        Mine will be here soon enough, I guess I can find out for my self when I install it!

Comment

I dont notice any graphics difference but can't really tell because the youtube videos are in bad quality

Comment

There is no diffirence besides the offload of the cpu (if you have a dual core/quad there's no real diffirence). Aegis card is only used fully on maps built by Aegis, nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusGear View Post
              There is no diffirence besides the offload of the cpu (if you have a dual core/quad there's no real diffirence). Aegis card is only used fully on maps built by Aegis, nowhere else.
              My computer is not a dual core/quad it's an amd athlon 3500 2.2ghz piece of **** with an amazing video card xfx geforce 8800gts 320mb. And it looks exactly like that youtube video, but its hard to tell since the quality is so crappy on youtube.

Comment

I have a BFG PhysX Card but to be honest... in the Demo I see absolutely no difference if I switch the PhysX Checkbox in the setup on or Off. Nothing. I played each setting 30min.

Is PhysX only available for special maps or not present in the Demo ?

The Particle Explosion out of the video above weren't noticeable in any kind on my System.

Hardware:

Intel C2D X6800
                GeForce 8600 Ultra
                2GB Ram
                BFG PhysX
                OS WinVista

Comment

Originally posted by qamulek View Post
                  That's awesome!

Comment

IMO, flame me if you want, but PhysX cards are a waste of money. Pour the money into a better CPU/GPU and whatever performance gain the card could have given you, will be made up for by the better card.
                    Eg GTX instead of GTS or Quad core instead of dual core.
                    The only thing you'll loose is the 'exclusive content' that's for PhysX, which wont be much anyway as 90% of the market won't have them. Games have to be made for the wider market, game developers are companies and want to make a profit after all.

Prices obviously wont make up for the full difference, but the card is only applicable in some situations, whereas a better CPU/GPU benefits everywhere.
                    eg. PhysX cards are $140 or so, a 8800GTS is around $360-380 and a GTX is around $520.
                    So you can either purchase a PhysX card and a GTS, or get a GTX with a little bit extra. Logic says which you should choose. (i must point out here, this is looking at it as if you don't already have the GTS, like a full upgrade or new build)

Sure, it'd be nice to have one of these cards if i had plenty of spare money, i'd like one myself, however when you weigh up what else it can be spent on, its an easy choice. At least it isn't as pointless as the killer nic.

PhysX only versions of the levels i think is stupid, because AFAIK the cpu/gpu can do almost everything the PhysX card can do if its powerful enough, therefore just making it marketing for their product.

Havok can already offload to cards for effects physics processing, and nvidia has put physics type capabilities on their 8800 cards. In the future i think dedicated physics chips will be phased out and made redundant in place of the graphics cards physics processing capabilities.

Note: This is based off my understanding, a bit of wikipedia and a bit of price logic. Feel free to point out if any of it is wrong (with sources of course)

Comment

Havok will not offload gameplay physics... in other words, it won't offload any physics that you can interact with... it will only offload physics that you SEE (effect physics).

nVidia has stream processors that can basically be told to process physics, since physics is just number crunching... but, nothing has been announced to even come close to using it (games).

sure, it *might* be better to buy a GTX instead of a GTS+PPU... but what about people that have ALREADY bought GTS cards? then adding a PPU is a lot cheaper than replacing it... right?

it's the same arguement with CPU... sure, you could get a much better CPU for the price difference, if you HAVEN'T already bought a CPU... but if you already have... then buying a PPU is a cheaper alternative.

i'd say more, but i have to go... laters.

Comment

PhysX card owner here, I've run the demo with and without the hardware physics support enabled. Both gave me a steady fps of 62 (a rather strange number for capping...) running the demo maxed at 1280 x 1024. It's not needed at all as long as your system, especially processor, exceeds the recommended requirements for the game. But this IS only a beta demo, so who know? maybe the game might feature some fancy physics effects.

Comment

Don't waste your money on useless **** like a physx card, buy a better gfx-card instead.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentFrag View Post
                            PhysX card owner here, I've run the demo with and without the hardware physics support enabled. Both gave me a steady fps of 62 (a rather strange number for capping...) running the demo maxed at 1280 x 1024. It's not needed at all as long as your system, especially processor, exceeds the recommended requirements for the game. But this IS only a beta demo, so who know? maybe the game might feature some fancy physics effects.
                            most likely, the full game won't have much more physics... but the main thing it will have is... the ability to mod it.

as it is now, the demo is relatively locked, so you can't mod it much, if at all.

once the full game comes out, people will have the chance to mod it to include much more physics... the nice thing it... all the modders are also players, so they'll most likely balance the physics with reasonable performance. then, we should get a pretty good idea on how "useful" the PPU is.

Comment

I know that its cheaper to buy a physics card if you already have the GTS, but so far benchmarks haven't proved much rather than a 5 or so fps increase, some had decreases even. I just dont think its worth it, if i had a GTS, i'd save the money for the next upgrade, or buy yourself something nice like a new mouse or keyboard.

The thing is, you cant make anything physics based be different for non card holders online, as everyone has to be synced up. So it really just takes a little bit of strain off of the CPU/GPU in this case, which has to be able to be handled by those without the cards. Effectively it's not going to do very much imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X