I am a whithered old man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by innociv View Post
    Only reason you SLI is to use two of the best-in-the-market cards, not use two old cards.
    The "only" reason? Sorry you ain't gotta clue. If you have a large monitor running a high resolution SLI is almost a must to get good frame rates. I run a 30 Inch Dell at 2560 x 1600 and SLI is the only way to go period...

Comment

Yeah, well I know that you're MEANT to use two good cards, but since I already have 1 old card it would be the budget option to get 2. Well that's what I thought but, it's irrelevant now anyway; can anyone answer my question regarding the mobo size?

Comment

there's a 4200+ that fits a socket 939?
        i had tried to find a faster chip than my 3800+, but at MY withered old age of 56 i **** near went blind doing searches.. :-)

LOL i'll buy your old one if you decide to go for it!! :-)

CD

Comment

Yes motherboards tend to be one size fits all, except for the mini-ATX boards.
          The one i linked will fit your case almost certainly.

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
          The "only" reason? Sorry you ain't gotta clue. If you have a large monitor running a high resolution SLI is almost a must to get good frame rates. I run a 30 Inch Dell at 2560 x 1600 and SLI is the only way to go period...
          Swing and a miss.

Play again. Read my post. 2 6800's isn't going to run 2560x1600 on highest. 2 8800 gtx's, the best cards out? Sure

But if you have a 7800, it's better to buy an 8800 instead of putting another 7800 in.

SLI gives 30-70% better performance usually. A new card is much better for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffinDancer View Post
            i had tried to find a faster chip than my 3800+, but at MY withered old age of 56 i **** near went blind doing searches.. :-)

CD
            Here one is;
            http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?AMD-X242O
            The 4200 was the last one to be made before they switched, apparently.

@Innovic, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by innociv View Post
              Yes motherboards tend to be one size fits all, except for the mini-ATX boards.
              The one i linked will fit your case almost certainly.

Swing and a miss.

Play again. Read my post. 2 6800's isn't going to run 2560x1600 on highest. 2 8800 gtx's, the best cards out? Sure

But if you have a 7800, it's better to buy an 8800 instead of putting another 7800 in.

SLI gives 30-70% better performance usually. A new card is much better for the money.
              Right, right but you said the only reason to run SLI was to use two high end cards. But what you were really saying was two high end cards is the best way to do SLI. I agree with you if that is what you are saying...

Comment

That depends on your budget

Originally posted by lærnu View Post
                ...and I am so frail that I need your help one last time before I make my purchases.

Do you think I would be ok going with a AMD x2 Dual Core Athlon 64 4200+ Socket 939Pin,
                or would it be more worthwhile for me to upgrade my whole mobo so that I can use the new Socket AM2 chips?
                With a minimal upgrade now,,you can plan on a better complete, much less expensive one later on. Both AMD and Intel will be launching NEW 45nm and 35nm quad cores and more 2nd half of next year. The Core 2 stuff and AM2 stuff will drop in price. Maybe, you will opt to buy one of the new quad platforms with DDR3 memory next year. Your choice to make.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffinDancer View Post

CD
                  newegg.com has the athlon 64 x2 4200+ 2.2Ghz with 512kb cache 939 chip for like $69 and the opteron 180, 2.4 Ghz with 1Mb cache for $169 (they also have the opteron 185 2.6Ghz for $249) They also have the opteron 165 (1.8Ghz), 170 (2.0Ghz), and 175 (2.2Ghz) as well, all with 1Mb cache per core. The 180 seemed to be the obvious choice. You can find them all over ebay as well, but usually more expensive if new or if it's used, there's always the bent pin and DOA issue.

I opted for the opteron 180, but it does not seem to want to OC at all, nada, zilche, very fast compared to the 3700+ single core I had at 2.6Ghz though.

Comment

Working...
                  X