Need help from the technically savvy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from the technically savvy.

I am in need of upgrading my system, and can spend around £100 to £200 on a new graphics card. I need someone to tell me which is the best I can get for my money, as I don't really have a clue to be honest!
    I also want to upgrade my CPU and would be grateful if someone could suggest one which would complement the suggested graphics card.

Many thanks in advance!

need to say what your current machine specs are

Comment

chuck in an extra £60 and as long as you have a pci-e slot you can have a very respectable 8800 640 oc2 like mine (Very tasty)

640 OC2 (£260)
      640 OC (£240)
      320 OC2 (£201)

they are in the order I could consider them (all BFG as I really like their work)

Comment

Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
        need to say what your current machine specs are
        Ah, sorry, I knew I'd forgotten something!

Theyre;
        AMD Athlon 3500+ 2.2 GHz
        A8N32 SLI Deluxe Motherboard
        1024 MB 3200XLPT RAM
        GeForce 6800GT
        80GB SATA 7200 RPM

I have 2 "PCI-e 16x" slots and 2 "PCI-e 1x" slots, whatever that means.

Comment

get a gig of ram

maybe look into swapping that card also!!

Comment

Originally posted by dirty0harry View Post
            get a gig of ram

maybe look into swapping that card also!!
            So I would have 2 Gig of ram? Yeah, I was thinking about that. I think I will double what I have.

As for swapping the card, that's the reason I started the thread .

Comment

yeah 1gig ram
              8800GTS
              go with a amd x2 on that mobo if you don't want to spend too much.

I have the same mobo with my 3800x2 @ 2.4
              2gig ddr400
              8800 640 OC2

and I run the game nicely (full settings) with fps of 40 lowest on shangrali but 62 cap most of the time

AMD x2 4200 (2.2ghz) and only £50

Comment

yes,make a reasonable comp then m8!

Comment

Originally posted by dirty0harry View Post
                  yes,make a reasonable comp then m8!
                  Hehe, I am trying my friend but I am not so knowledgeable about these things you see!

@ Fizzyxl

What is x2? I take it it would be compatible with my mobo then? Would you be able to link me to a site where you have an example of the product you mean, so I can check out prices etc?
                  Thanks.

EDIT: Also, Fizzy, how much anti-aliasing are you using getting those framerates?

EDIT 2: Wtf, you already put in a link! I must be going blind.

Comment

Right. So if I get an extra gig of RAM, Geforce 8800gts 640mb, and the £50 "Amd x2 64 4200 939pin", you recon I'd be ok for now?
                    Also, how can I tell if my CPU is 939pin or any other number?
                    Plus, would you recommend buying a new heatsink/fan with the CPU? The one I have now has never had any problems with my current CPU but I really have no idea.

Comment

Bump! Please can someone just answer those last posts, then I'm done .

Comment

Originally posted by lærnu View Post
                        Right. So if I get an extra gig of RAM, Geforce 8800gts 640mb, and the £50 "Amd x2 64 4200 939pin", you recon I'd be ok for now?
                        Also, how can I tell if my CPU is 939pin or any other number?
                        Plus, would you recommend buying a new heatsink/fan with the CPU? The one I have now has never had any problems with my current CPU but I really have no idea.
                        You will need to get the AMD retail box processor that comes with the new fan and heat sink, your old heat sink is not nearly good enough. The AMD dual core athlon64 X2 4200+ socket 939 cpu will make a big difference, the 8800gts 640mb, and the 2nd gig of ram should get you good to go. You could spend more, but, this is probably the way to go for now.

I decided for the minimal upgrade as well from a athlon 3700+ to opteron 180 on my 939 board. I will wait for the next generation chips using DDR3 memory before I upgrade again. Looks like 2009.

Comment

Ah I see, any chance of a link to the retail version with the heatsink?

I know I'm gonna get shouted to 'GOOGLE' but I'm not so hot on teh interwebs.

Comment

maybe newegg.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                              maybe newegg.com
                              Definitely newegg

Comment

Working...
                              X