Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the Linux demo? How do I pre-order the Linux version?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously you've never attempted to work through legal issues.. you are at the mercy of the challenging party, and you can't make a move until they agree to resolve issues.

And some parties will drag thier feet slowing things down as much as possible, hoping for a better resolution in their favor. Sometimes for YEARS.

Clearly you f*cked up. We clear? Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareee View Post
      Since a massive number of windows users who have already paid for UT3 cannot even run it yet, and windows is UT3's largest installed base, THAT really should be their current priority...
      The linux port *isn't* made by Epic, so where's the problem?

np: Prefuse 73 - Aborted Hugs (Preparations)

Comment

Originally posted by Leak View Post
        The linux port *isn't* made by Epic, so where's the problem?

np: Prefuse 73 - Aborted Hugs (Preparations)

It's whats being ported thats the problem.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=929&num=1

Comment

linux + directX 10 = bad news

Comment

On 1st November, I was really only waiting to buy UT3. Now I'm thinking if I'll.
            I had buy UT 2004 because it have the Linux client.

When exactly Linux users will won some respect?
            How many millions of Linux users are needed to be considered?
            How many vendors need to support Linux on hardwares to be considered?
            Who decides?

In resume I'm very disappointed with Epic today. Not only because there is no Linux installer in box, but because there is no Linux or Mac says on box too and mainly because there is no answer for our questions and with this we fell like there is no respect to us.

The Linux market will never grow up decently if there is no where to go. The big companys always clain that don't support Linux because there is no expressive users numbers.
            How can be users of a product that don't exist?
            Where that big companys will see that they need to offer at first place, so the people can have a choice?

When all of you will admit that Linux is the way to go? That it is technicale superior, etc, etc and etc? When?

Do you want my money? I'm wainting for something to buy... make the offer!

Comment

Epic doesn't have a reason to need to grow the Linux market.. that is the desire of Linux users.

Game develoeprs look at the number of copies of things that asell in a format, when they develope, and prioritize based on that. Mac owners also complain because games take months sometimes to reach thier platform, IF it's even made for it.

That's one of the things you must take in consideration when you choose a software platfrom to use yourself:

Compatibility with your hardware
              Software cost
              Software availability

In pretty much that order. No one has FORCED you to be a linux user... when we decided to use it, you KNEW the popularity of the software, and the lack of releases for it, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

It costs a bundle of cash to convert a big game title to Linux, and if the return isn't going to be that large, it becomes a low priority.

If I could pick a software platform of my own choosing, I'd still be running my Amiga with Workbench3.0. I Looked at the availability of the PC market, and the availability and compatibility of software out there,and switched to windows because I wanted titled available, and I wanted to be able to go into any store andf purchase them, instead of playing the waiting game.

Amigados was technically superior. It's gone. Beta was technically superior over VHS... it's also gone. 8 Tracs were technically superior to Cassettes.. they are gone as well.

See any pattern forming?

Just run a dual boot system, and use window for the huge number of software ttle not available on Linux, and then use linux when there are applications for it you have, and want to run... and be glad you have that option open to you.

Comment

I totally agree with EthraZa. Linux is an intact market there isn't many games on linux so there's no competition. Any game written for linux will be rewarded. Well I mean only in case if producer respects linux users, if not we can easily turn around and go elsewhere like we did to Mr. Bill Gates. Bye bye

Originally posted by Gareee View Post
                Epic doesn't have a reason to need to grow the Linux market.. that is the desire of Linux users.

Game develoeprs look at the number of copies of things that asell in a format, when they develope, and prioritize based on that. Mac owners also complain because games take months sometimes to reach thier platform, IF it's even made for it.

That's one of the things you must take in consideration when you choose a software platfrom to use yourself:

Compatibility with your hardware
                Software cost
                Software availability

In pretty much that order. No one has FORCED you to be a linux user... when we decided to use it, you KNEW the popularity of the software, and the lack of releases for it, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

It costs a bundle of cash to convert a big game title to Linux, and if the return isn't going to be that large, it becomes a low priority.

If I could pick a software platform of my own choosing, I'd still be running my Amiga with Workbench3.0. I Looked at the availability of the PC market, and the availability and compatibility of software out there,and switched to windows because I wanted titled available, and I wanted to be able to go into any store andf purchase them, instead of playing the waiting game.

Amigados was technically superior. It's gone. Beta was technically superior over VHS... it's also gone. 8 Tracs were technically superior to Cassettes.. they are gone as well.

See any pattern forming?

Just run a dual boot system, and use window for the huge number of software ttle not available on Linux, and then use linux when there are applications for it you have, and want to run... and be glad you have that option open to you.
                I suggest you to go and jump of the bridge or sth...

Comment

It's not a question of "need", it's a question of epics tradition of linux support. Your arguments are old and I'm not going to waste my time in replying with the same amount.

And don't tell people to dualboot unless you'd like them to suggest unpleasant things to you.

Comment

Sorry, but everyone can blame Epic for the delay of the Linux client. They are the ones who made the game including the decisions of how and when to work on the Linux version. If they chose to use a physics API that doesn't exist in the OpenGL API definitions or whatever then don't tell me they had no idea this was going to happen. "Oops" isn't an excuse. They may have made a mistake but that doesn't somehow mean that it was impossible for them to have avoided it. No one is perfect to begin with, but I expected Epic to know how to make games well enough to at least meet basic expectations that they gave us from UT2004. We were let down. So there's no reason for anyone to be surprised at Linux users being disappointed. Of course we're grateful, but we were also hoping for a product that we haven't gotten yet and again, we were let down. But, whatever, they are the suppliers, and if they won't supply it, we'll deal, perhaps by looking for other games to play like Quake Wars, for now.

We're not going away. Our demand is still there. If you believe all the web statistics, we're also growing exponentially, doubling within the last year alone. If game companies want to satisfy that, or ignore us, it's obviously up to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X