Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the Linux demo? How do I pre-order the Linux version?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the Linux demo? How do I pre-order the Linux version?

First off, I can't find any Linux demo. Where is it, why can't we test it?

Secondly and more importantly, where is a link to pre-order the Linux version? All the boxes say PC: Microsoft Windows required. Where are the Linux boxes that say for Linux?? I would love to buy this game for Linux, but it doesn't even say it supports it on the box!!

What is going on? I'm not buying the PS3 version, or the Mac version, or the Windows version, I have Linux and want a Linux version, where are yoooooou?

Thanks.

I second that!

Comment

linux demo is coming soon
      i'm not sure about the linux version
      some epic staff said it's in the pc box, but the system requirements didn't say that.
      What a contradiction

Comment

Originally posted by icecone View Post
        some epic staff said it's in the pc box, but the system requirements didn't say that.
        What a contradiction
        That's stupid. I hope they get a Linux version out to get soon, or they've lost many customers.

Comment

in the UT2004 ECE there is a linux intaller file on the DVD with the PC installer

Comment

Originally posted by DR SE7EN View Post
            in the UT2004 ECE there is a linux intaller file on the DVD with the PC installer
            That's what I thought, so they supported it back then, but now they're saying screw you to Linux users? There's no reason that they can't fit an installer on the DVD(s) that are in the box, so all they have to do is say on the box that it requires Linux or Windows and/or Mac too if that's possible, I mean why not? It's not like the main binary is huge. If it is, then add one more DVD, it's not like they are expensive, or just make separate boxes.

I want to walk in someplace, or go someplace online, and buy it, and have it work. FULL support, not half-***** support.

Comment

Originally posted by icecone View Post
              What a contradiction
              Mark Rein said it will be on the DVD just like UT2004 was. The UT2004 Editors Choice Ed had Linux on the box with a disclaimer (Linux version not supported by Atari), the later Midway Ed did not have Linux on it, nor did it have the linux installer on the DVD. The exact requirements for Linux will never be on the box. That would take up way too much space, plus the disclaimer (Linux version not supported by Atari), makes in moot.

I figure at least 1-2 weeks for the Linux porting. It will likely be available the same time as the "real" windows demo as tar type download. Maybe a beta demo at first. We will see when we see but not until then. But you should not sweat it. Figure how many more Linux users there are now than there were in 2004. In the forums were are like 10-15% now, we now out number Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                Mark Rein said it will be on the DVD just like UT2004 was. UT2004 said nothing on the box or in the requirements either. The requirements will never say anything about Linux on the box. That would take up way too much space.

I figure at least 1-2 weeks for the Linux porting. It will likely be available the same time as the "real" windows demo as tar type download. Maybe a beta demo at first. We will see when we see but not until then. But you should not sweat it. Figure how many more Linux users there are now than there were in 2004. In the forums were are like 10-15% now, we out number Macs.
                Space? You know how tiny they can make the requirement text? It's small, let me tell you, and just having to put "Linux version requires Linux Kernel 2.6.18" doesn't take up much space. There is always plenty of room at the top of the box where it's stated what the game is for, so adding Linux and/or Mac to that would be in no way difficult. Seriously, I'm not ragging on you, but that's a very lame cop out if Epic tried to give that as the reason.

They need to let consumers know what systems the game is for, so if it's for Linux they need to state that, and if they need to also state that it requires Linux distros that are LSB 3.0 or later compliant, that's fine too, just let me, a consumer, know.

Or is Microsoft paying them to keep Linux marketing off the package? I'm sorry but if you did the work of making a game for another platform, logic says that you'd want to let everyone know that fact. They do with every other platform out there, they shout it loud and clear, so why shouldn't Mac and Linux get the same respect if those versions are included in the box? Geezus..

I'll stop sweating it when they give us consumers what we want.

Comment

The linux *server* beta demo is now available... clients will come soon.

http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezm...copohfepbmnlkb

I want to take this time to commend Ryan G. for his quick work of the ports to Linux and Mac! Go baby go!

Donovan

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                    I want to walk in someplace, or go someplace online, and buy it, and have it work. FULL support, not half-***** support.
                    I want a flying car, a robot butler, and a daily sensual massage from Jessica Biel, but that ain't gonna happen either.

I'm a Linux user, too, but I recognize the reality that Windows has about 95% of the PC gaming market, and therefore gets 95% of the development time. The other operating systems are lucky if they get the table scraps.

In this case, there is definitely going to be a Linux client, unlike the vast majority of PC games, so thank your lucky stars that you're getting anything at all.

The latest news from the single Linux/Mac programmer working on this is that there will NOT be a Linux installer on the disc, because he's not going to be able to finish it before the Windows version goes gold.

But there will be a downloadable Linux installer soon afterwards that will install from the Windows disc.

On behalf of the sane Linux gamers out there, I have to say this: If you're now planning on starting a campaign of whining and boycotts because Linux users aren't getting equal treatment as Windows users, and there's no penguin on the box, etc. etc., please do it elsewhere.

Epic is one of two AAA studios to provide any support for Linux clients, and if you're going to start pretending that beggars can be choosers, you're just going to alienate them, as well as potential future Linux gamers, with your zealotry.

Comment

Originally posted by Logy View Post
                      I want a flying car blahblahblah zealotry.
                      I'm asking for better support, everyone should, including you, so !@#& you.

Epic, please give us proper support and let us show our support in return!

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                        I'm asking for better support, everyone should, including you, so !@#& you.

Epic, please give us proper support and let us show our support in return!
                        Their definition of proper "may" be different than yours. IE: there is little $$$ in making a Linux version...

Comment

Update on Linux demo, retail x64 version, and release media

I found this info very informative.
                          Here is the info straight from the guy who is doing the port, icculus.org

http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?64:aas:58#b

Synopsis:
                          Demo is not ready yet
                          It will not be in the retail box because it will not be ready in time
                          The 32 bit version is the priority
                          The 32 bit linux version will run on linux x64 releases
                          Maybe a x64 bit version later

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=580360

Comment

I don't care, I'll wait for the gentoo ebuild anyway. Easier to update that way when they release patches and bonus packs etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X