• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a intel E6420 (2130MHZ) i overclocked it to 2.4Ghz

i may need to upgrade my mobo

my mobo have some issues with my CPU & just hangs it self at anytime

Comment

Whatever let the computer illiterate suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Furor View Post
        I built this system about a year and a half ago and just wondering what I would need to upgrade to get UT3 running at some good FPS

AMD Athlon 64 - 3000+ 2.5 GHz
        2 GB RAM
        GeForce 6800 GS - 256 MB

I probably need to upgrade my Motherboard so I can handle a dual core processor and definatly a new Graphics card...
        Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend a lot of cash seeing as this game is the only reason for me to upgrade. The demo runs OK with 50 screen rendering or whatever its called. And runs horribly slow on 100%.
        That depends on what exact motherboard you now have, socket 939 or AM2? Also, what type of memory you have, DDR or DDR2?

I could guess it's probably a socket 939 motherboard with DDR memory. I would recommend you buy a new CPU, athlon64 X2 4200+ is pretty cheap, the opteron 180 is a good choice as well but not so cheap, get the retail box in any case if you have the oem fan heat sink from your current cpu. You need a new video card. The ATI X1950XT with 512 memory is priced right. You can still find a GeForce 7950GT as well. Newegg has both.

When you buy a video card, do your homework. For NVidia, of all the cards still available, only the 7900GTX, 7950GT, and 8800 series are worth buying, For ATI only the 1950 and 2900 series with 512mb are game worthy. Always look at the benchmarks.

Comment

heres where your going to have an issue, you do need more then what you apparently can buy. I would say leave the CPU and Motherboard and ram, and get a better graphics card. I am using a 7600gt and the game runes fine, however low fps. I would recommend ATLEAST a 8600gt, probably a 8600gts. Thats around $130+.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1989 View Post
            heres where your going to have an issue, you do need more then what you apparently can buy. I would say leave the CPU and Motherboard and ram, and get a better graphics card. I am using a 7600gt and the game runes fine, however low fps. I would recommend ATLEAST a 8600gt, probably a 8600gts. Thats around $130+.
            Do not buy a 8600 card, it is a mid range card, not for games, it only has 128 bit memory and 32 stream processors, it dies on all the game benchmarks. The 8800GTS has 320 bit memory and 96 stream processors, that's why it's 10 times better card and costs 3 times as much. Right now, the ATI X1950XT is the best card for the money for under $200, it cost the same as the 8600 but literally kills it in the benchmarks.

Always look at the benchmarks;
            http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=724&chart=278
            Always read the reviews;
            http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...ney/index.html
            Know what your buying.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the help. I played an online game with everything on half and it played pretty good. So I'm going to buy the game and play it as is for now so i can save my money and do a motherboard/cpu/gpu upgrade the right way.
              Thanks again!

Comment

video card wont make much of a difference without atleast a pci-e vid card and a dual-core processor backing it up TRUST ME I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. The dual core definitly makes the biggest improvement, and if you have an amd 3000+ the vid card slot is agp. So you will need a new motherboard,ram,vid card(pci-e),and processor. 550$ including installation. I would recommend a high end dx9 card 4 now just to save money, dx10 is not standard yet, and there are really cheap dx10 cards on the market, but there clock speeds are very low compared to the high end dx9 cards. DONT GET FOOLED. With the proccesor if you get a amd mother board make sure there is 2pci-e slots for the future if need be. The prices of the x2 amd prcessors are pretty close the each other, so for an extra 20-30$ you could go 4600+ or higher.

Comment

PENTIUM D @ 3.2 slight over clocked
                  WIN XPpro SP2 with tweaked dx10
                  1 gig mem
                  6800 GS
                  250 gig hard

HOw do you think it matches up with the requirements of the game?? feedback please.

Comment

Add 2 gigs of ram for 60$ . Should run fine.

Comment

might want to upgrade your vid card to the x-1950pro or GT 512m 4 about 120$

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                        Do not buy a 8600 card, it is a mid range card, not for games, it only has 128 bit memory and 32 stream processors, it dies on all the game benchmarks. The 8800GTS has 320 bit memory and 96 stream processors, that's why it's 10 times better card and costs 3 times as much. Right now, the ATI X1950XT is the best card for the money for under $200, it cost the same as the 8600 but literally kills it in the benchmarks.

Always look at the benchmarks;
                        http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=724&chart=278
                        Always read the reviews;
                        http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...ney/index.html
                        Know what your buying.

Not for games? What the hell do you think a 7600gt is? It is a midrange card FOR GAMES. Yes the X1950XT is a better card for the price but I will never use ATI, I bought 3 cards and ALL 3 were extremely flawed and bugged. The 8600GT and GS are not great, however the 8600GTS is much better. I have also seen it perform just as well as 7900gs, which is of course not that great. However its cheapest is $120 after rebates. Now, I find nothing wrong with that for the price. The cheapest X1950XT I found was exactly $200. I would rather spend the extra $100 on a 8800gts. 128bit memory is also standard for most mid and also high range cards.

video card wont make much of a difference without atleast a pci-e vid card and a dual-core processor backing it up TRUST ME I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. The dual core definitly makes the biggest improvement, and if you have an amd 3000+ the vid card slot is agp. So you will need a new motherboard,ram,vid card(pci-e),and processor. 550$ including installation. I would recommend a high end dx9 card 4 now just to save money, dx10 is not standard yet, and there are really cheap dx10 cards on the market, but there clock speeds are very low compared to the high end dx9 cards. DONT GET FOOLED. With the proccesor if you get a amd mother board make sure there is 2pci-e slots for the future if need be. The prices of the x2 amd prcessors are pretty close the each other, so for an extra 20-30$ you could go 4600+ or higher.
                        Yes you will see an improvement however over the video card difference it will be about equal. And just because its a 3000+ does NOT mean it doesn't have PCI-E. I have a 3700 with a 7600gt and the game runs fine for me on all maxed settings.

Comment

Better video card and better possessor

Comment

Originally posted by Furor View Post
                            I built this system about a year and a half ago and just wondering what I would need to upgrade to get UT3 running at some good FPS

AMD Athlon 64 - 3000+ 2.5 GHz
                            2 GB RAM
                            GeForce 6800 GS - 256 MB
                            Have you tried the demo? What resolution is it running at a good FPS now? The reason I ask is that my system is an Athlon XS 4200+ with a Geforce 7600 GS and the same amount of RAM as yours. It's a little shaky on framerates during close in action fighting in DM at 1280x1024 on the lowest graphics performance settings, but seems to do fine at 1024x768 with playable framerates. I won't get the eye candy, but once again, it plays well.

You can probably upgrade to an Athlon X2 4000 and a Geforce 7600 GT for about $200. There are some bus and memory speed differences between my board and yours, but the 7600 GT is also a notch better than the GS that I have. I'd bet you'd get similar performance.

Comment

Here's my specs:

> Mainboard : Gigabyte nForce Socket 939

> Chipset : nVidia nForce3 250

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 1800 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1536 MB (I have 2GB but Windows is not seeing it)

> Video Card : 7800 GS AGP 256 MB Nvidia Corp Nvidia Corp

> Hard Disk C: WDC (120 GB)

> Hard Disk F: Seagate (320 GB)

> CD-Rom Drive : CDWRITER IDE5232

> DVD-Rom Drive : JLMS XJ-HD166S

> Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2007)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comment

Hey guys, I went to CompUSA today after seeing the Demo was out and they were running the cards in my sig for $160. I jumped on it like the horniest rabbit ever. The game runs absolutely fine with all settings high at 1024 (yeah, that's my res, for now).

Comment

Working...
                                X