Radeon HD 2900XT Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon HD 2900XT Performance

What are people getting for frame rates with this card? I'm running 1920 X 1200 and I'm getting constant 30 frames per second and the textures aren't even full resolution in the demo. My setup is:

ASUS A8N5X socket 939
    AMD x2 3800
    2 GB OCZ DDR(1) 400
    Radeon HD 2900 XT
    Raptor 150GB

Am I getting such low frames due to my processor and memory or is the 2900XT really that bad?

Originally posted by aspekt9 View Post
    What are people getting for frame rates with this card? I'm running 1920 X 1200 and I'm getting constant 30 frames per second and the textures aren't even full resolution in the demo. My setup is:

ASUS A8N5X socket 939
    AMD x2 3800
    2 GB OCZ DDR(1) 400
    Radeon HD 2900 XT
    Raptor 150GB

Am I getting such low frames due to my processor and memory or is the 2900XT really that bad?
    Hi, I know from experience that a low cpu clock will hold back the video card's potential. I have an opteron 165(amd dual core) that was clocked at 1.8. Used to get bad fps at that clock speed, until I overclocked it to 2.4-2.6 ghz.
    So looking into a higher-clocked cpu might help, or even overclocking, if you're into that. Good luck

Comment

Your cpu is bottlenecking the 2900XT, I have a x1950 xtx with an Intel C2Q q6600, with texture detail at 5 and world detail at 4 I get around 35-60 fps.

Comment

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=4

Comment

First thing that stands out too me is the memory? Why is it DDR1? and 400MHz? Maybe i'm forgetting something? OCZ do good stuff?

Comment

its the mobo, it doesn't support DDR2, i have a simular setup. But its the cpu thats causing the problem... but dont forget, your playing at a bit of an extreme resolution there 1900x? lol... i know the card can go up that high but geez...

You could try lowering that res. down a bit im SURE you'll get better FPS then

Comment

You need to upgrade your motherboard, cpu, and ram. DDR 2 is not the "standard" and which performs better. It is true the CPU is bottlenecking your graphics, but its better than my cpu and I seem to run the game fine with full settings.

Comment

mmm... there is either something wrong with your computer or somethings veryy beautifuly wrong with mine heh
                i have a
                AMD X2 3800+ (socket 939)
                2gb ram ddr 400 dual channel
                300 gb sata 1 HD
                Sapphire X1950XT videocard overclocked at 675 core - 2016 mem
                And i get with everything on 5 ( world and texture) 1440x900 res, and V-Sync on and I get 45-60 FPS it looks really good

Comment

I was thinking of buying that card for the comp I'm building but now I'm going to choose GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

Comment

You're video card is most likely being bottlenecked by the CPU. UT has always been tougher on the CPU than other games, and i believe this holds true with UT3 aswell.

@Brutal: The HD2900XT outperforms the 8800GTS 640MB in a lot of things, unless you play games that really shine with the GTS or want to use some anti-aliasing Dx9 style, i'd suggest you go with the HD2900XT.
                    (only downside is terrible Dx9 AA and high power consumption)

Comment

The 2900 also sucks *** in DX10, it takes a huge performance hit that the 8800 doesn't take. It also eats up much more power, spits out more heat, and is louder.

Comment

Originally posted by aspekt9 View Post

ASUS A8N5X socket 939
                        AMD x2 3800
                        2 GB OCZ DDR(1) 400
                        Radeon HD 2900 XT
                        Raptor 150GB

Hi. Well I just bought the 1GB PRO 2900 and flashed it to XT...for $385 I couldn't go wrong. I can run the game as high as 2048x1280 and it's still playable on XP32 - forget about Vista as it takes a massive hit...drivers etc will hopefully fix this. Currently have a dual opteron 185 @ 3GHz, 2GB Corsair XMS4400 PRO (tight), Raptor RAID, Sony FW-900 and DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert ...I'm waiting until AMDs Phenom architechture before doing a major upgrade. Anyways, I run most times at 1680x1050 and get 50-150+ FPS...I'd say 75FPS on average...I find 1280x768 to be optimal and I pull down 80-180 FPS with 100+ FPS being my average I'd say...anyways, hope that helps...not sure if yours is the 512MB version I'm assuming it is...if you are running at 1920x1200 (though it shouldn't) it may have some impact...I know I slow down to about 75FPS average.

In addition, overclocking your CPU, RAM, FSB all REALLY REALLY helps...even with the frames I'm pulling down, I know that I am massively bottlenecked by the board, ram, cpu and that the card is capable of MUCH MORE - I'm seeing guys pulling down over 16,000 3DMarks in '06 w/ Intel Core2 architechture (with 27,000 being the RECORD with this card)!! I can only get 10,500. Also, remember to enable catalyst AI advanced setting and overclock the card with ATITool for extra performance (test for stability and make sure your partition is backed up first of course)...good luck!

Comment

human eyes cant see more than 25 fps, so if you have 30 fps or 120 fps for you eyes is the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Ziobono View Post
                            human eyes cant see more than 25 fps, so if you have 30 fps or 120 fps for you eyes is the same thing
                            Sigh.. wrong.

Not much point in buying a 2900XT imo when a Pro costs like a lot less (120 euros here) and is the same but underclocked.

Comment

human eyes actually see between 70-90fps, but most people cant tell the difference above 50-60

Comment

Working...
                              X