No announcement yet.

UT3 on Vista or XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista is like dipping your mouth in raw sewage and taking a drink of it. Xp all the way.

Comment

I'm waiting until SP1 for Vista is released.
      XP is, for the most part, a solid OS, and from the 6 months i've been testing Vista on my HTPC box, it's been ok.
      Yes, vista looks nice, and in general is ok for people who surf,email and other basic functions.
      Developers need to start improving their driver support for Vista, and, as with XP, will take some time to get the kinks out.
      The main problem with Vista is, it seemed to require so much horse power to run well, and for the most part, people are running XP on their older P3, PIV and AMD equivalent machines with less than 1 gig of ram happily.
      Add to that the fact the Microsoft attempted to quickly force people to adopt their new child (pulling OEM licenses from vendors), which resulted in much backlash from the community.
      As the old saying goes 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it'.
      Microsoft still hasn't 'sold' me completely on Vista.
      There is nothing Vista can do, that XP can't (other than DX10).
      It offers nothing which inspires me to move over.
      Sure it has better security (although it's a ***** networking XP and Vista machines), nice visual gui. But other than those 2 things I can't see any other reasons to move.
      The differences in DX10 have so far been minimal, when I look at comparison shots there is nothing that jumps out at me.. apples and apples (with a few spots). Maybe it's all in the drivers.
      I personally see more innovation in coding applications to utilize multiple processors. Clearly it's something that gaming is on the forefront of.
      I have temporarily installed Vista on my main box, and ran a few games. Had some problems with locking up after a few minutes.. something that doesn't happen in XP. Other people seem to be running stable with no issues...which is good. Give it time and things will be worked out... hopefully.

Comment

For me,

Xp Pro 32 bit & Vista Ultimate 32 bit, negligible (to the point that there is none) different with the beta, only difference is I will be able to apply any DX10 features that are included on retail through the Vista install.

Your choice, if you need to buy stuff probably no point at the moment unless you need a major update anyway.

Comment

Now running XP32, much faster than Vista for me. First i was only able to run @ 800x600 with minimal settings, now i run 1280x1024 with minimal settings but still (Intel C2D @ 2,6; 1GB DDR2 PC2-667; nVidia 6800GS (8800GTS already on its way)).

I like xp Better Screw DX10/DX10.1

Comment

I also prefer XP, but imho Vista will get better and better in a year, cause of support and, mainly, drivers (dx will make the difference). If I had an monster pc, I'd stick to Vista.

Comment

I've seen people with worse PC's than me running higher detail settings and get more FPS from being on XP.
              If you just play games, go with XP.
              If you do other things on your PC too, Vista is the way to go, it's a far superior OS interface-wise, just make sure you have a more powerful PC to make up for it when playing games. Vista is getting better all the time due to updated drivers, I'm sure with time things will in fact run better on Vista than XP.

Comment

I have Vista and a 512m video card....runs at 75fps. Works good enough, AND I'm ready for the Dx10 games.

XP is a thing of the past.

Comment

Working...
                X