No announcement yet.

EPIC don't do the same errors as id software with Quake 4...Mark Reign plz read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPIC don't do the same errors as id software with Quake 4...Mark Reign plz read

Dear epic,
    I always apreciated your work with pc games, because you always delivered the best multiplayer games and the best support to players, showing that you really listen to what players wants and implement it in the game.

The same did id software with quake3, it was and is a great game. With q4 id released a **** game, totally unscalable, none of the mid pc were able to run it in multiplayer games, and also it was FULL of bugs. Just now, after some year, they released a patch that fix all this, but it's too late, noone plays more quake4.

Since I love ut series, it will a shame to see the same destiny for ut3. So, in my opinion, you should listen and listen to what players say, and try to fix the game as much as you can.

It seems, watching how the menu's are done, that pc gamers aren't really your "bread and butter", because menu's are console like, not "pc like", as ut2k4 menu's were.
    The greater example is the mouse sensitivity...Watch the ut3 mouse sensitivity gui and the ut2k4...And if we also mention the graphics settings...

Also, the game (like q4 was) isn't scalable. Only ppl with 8800 cards can play it decently (and with decently I mean a costant framerate >= 50fps).

It is ridiculus that ppl with a pc like mine (athlon x2 6000+,3gb ram,geforce 8600gt 512mbram) can't play the game with mid settings...To play it decently I have to set 640x480,and all details to the lowest value,disabling post processing.

Another bad thing is the weapon switch speed...Too slow! With ut2k4 one of the best things was to kill someone with combinations of weapons...with this slow switch is nearly impossible...

And there are much more problems that players more experienced than me can arise for you.

As you can see, a lot of ppl like me are spending their time to give feedback to you, just to improve the game.

Noone pays us to do. The only reward we'd like to receive is a good game like previous ut titles...And maybe (speaking for myself) a reply to this post from mark, just an "ack" to know that you read it.

Thank you and good luck for your job...
    Show us that you can do better...

p.s. I forgot to mention...THE SERVER BROWSER...Compare the ut3 server browser with the ut2k4 server browser...

bump up!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ghepardo View Post
      It is ridiculus that ppl with a pc like mine (athlon x2 6000+,3gb ram,geforce 8600gt 512mbram) can't play the game with mid settings...To play it decently I have to set 640x480,and all details to the lowest value,disabling post processing.
      You talk about Quake4 or the UT3 demo?

I got an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2x2,66ghz), 3GB DDR800 Corsair and an 8600GT 256MB and i got a good performance in the UT3 demo at 1280x1024

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieFox View Post

I got an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2x2,66ghz), 3GB DDR800 Corsair and an 8600GT 256MB and i got a good performance in the UT3 demo at 1280x1024
        Speaking about ut3demo. Anyway, what are the settings you use for pre processing and detais?

Comment

Its a BETA DEMO

they left out all the options for game tweaking, they left out 50% of all the highress textures and options.

its only to test the gameplay and balance out.\

The official game will be released with tons of options, since thats what they always have done.

Comment

ut3demo
            beta demo... as in... beta... as in... not full release... as in... not perfect?

Look in some of the tweaking threads, you'll get better performance.

Keep your pc clear of spyware, run antivirus frequently, etc. Oh, and DEFRAG! that will help fps a LOT.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579385
            ^^a helpful tweaking thread.

Comment

I have:

AMD X2 64 4600+
              7950GT 512MB
              Corsair 2GB RAM DDR2 667MHz

And I get an fps of 45-50 with medium-high graphic settings:

PostProcessing: Normal
              Reduced gore: off
              Hardware Physics: off
              Screen percentage: 100%
              Texture detail: 4
              World detail: 5
              Enable V-Sync: off

So on the contrary, the engine is extremely scalable.

This is a Beta. It's not a true reflection of the final product because Epic are modifying the game right now based on our feedback of the demo.

If you only get a decent framerate on absolute minimum settings, then something is wrong somewhere with regard to your personal setup vs. the demo. For most of us we can run it fine without high end systems.

Make sure you have the latest drivers and that you have nothing major running in the background. Then post your system specifications and playback results in the demo feedback forum and someone may have some advice on how to get it working better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ghepardo View Post
                Speaking about ut3demo. Anyway, what are the settings you use for pre processing and detais?
                C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini

That's in Vista, XP has documents and settings, forgot where, but it's basically in the directory above "my documents" you should go here: INI performance & graphics tweaks here - Epic Games Forums
                really good thread about tweaking the INI, sounds like you have options enabled you can't run well, also check that you got the latest drivers.

Remember this is a beta, it lacks a lot of ingame options for visuals, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people that whine about poor performance has some stuff their card isn't good at forced on.

Comment

We know it's a beta you dimwits, and this is the feed back section fcs. If we pretend everything is alright we ain't helping out much right?

Originally posted by CharlieFox View Post

I have about the same setup as you, and if I uncap the framerate it shifts between 50-140 on shangrila. To avoid tearing on my 60Mhz lcd (I miss teh CRT, why did I sell it.. ) I have vsync on and it forces the fps down to ~30 if the ingame fps goes below 60. 30 fps is totally unplayable so I have to lower my settings to avoid it. The annoying thing is that when the game starts to behave well it looks worse then 2k4, but still can't perform as good. Bad optimization imo. I will be able to play it as is but I'm afraid they will lose a lot of player base if looks can't match the performance.

I agree with the OP that the menus is a joke. They work for consolitists but it's the worst **** I've seen in a PC game both visual and functional.

The settings are a mess, even the basic ones. Mouse sens can't be tuned, fov can't even be set in ini's etc. I had hoped they would have put more of the options in the UI this time to avoid newbs feeling cheated on by ini hackers, but they went the other way.

And yep, switch speed is too slow. Haven't found out how to throw weapons either and animations in general is choppy and ugly.

Still, the game rox when it comes to game play. I reeeeally hope they get all this annoying mistakes out of the way before release, I wouldn't mind if they delayed the game to get it right. It got the potential to be the best FPS of all times so don't mess it up..

EDIT: oops noticed this thread isn't in the feedback section, well then it's a bit out of place. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
                    We know it's a beta you dimwits, and this is the feed back section fcs.*SNIP*
                    No its not, your in "General Chat".

***EDIT***

Link to correct section:

http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Also to note, they added to the sticky that they are concentrating on bugs reported in the different sticky topics in that sub-forum, if you have something in particular to address I am sure there is an appropriate thread, if not you could use one of the existing ones and they will probobly create a new thread for that type of bug report.

*END*EDIT*

Comment

Ye noticed, still doesn't change the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by SSP
                        This feels worse than Q4... at least Q4 had a decent movement system, UT has never had this, dodgeskiing was a poor way of travelling, but now there is none lol.
                        Then you just have to practice some more, the movement in UT3 is perfect.

Comment

I doubt any PC game company listens to customers or PC Gamers any more .
                          I have noticed that trend since 2001-2002

Quake 3 was **** for a LOT of gamers , as was Doom3 and Quake 4
                          UT99 came out the same time as Quake 3 and was awesome . One of the best PC
                          Fast action shooters .

Since 2001-2002 all pc games are getting worse , more buggy , less enjoyable for the long term gamers that gamed on pre intel/ibm hardware .

Multiple patchs is a all too common thing .

Companys blame pirating as they always have but you just look at the stores
                          (At least in Australia) EB Games (AU) is a classic example , when quake 1 came out
                          the entire store was mostly PC games with one small self area for console gaming
                          Now 2006-2007 its almost ALL console and a small self for PC gaming

Console gaming took off more with the PS2 around 2001-2002 and thats when games
                          started to get designed for Multi platforms first and pc 2nd thought .

In my view no FPS should be made on the console without using a keyboard and mouse
                          and I am not the only gamer with that view .

The skill of gamers today has decreased a lot aswell . No one really works as a team or knows how to play CTF compared to pre 2000 . I guess all the decent gamers gave up on expecting decent games to come out .

Too many companys have also relying on series to keep them in business .

I am suprised IGA (in game ads) have taken this long to get into games , but
                          at this point IGA is pointless if it does not decrease the price of the game.

Ubisoft recently released some older games for free with IGA , then pulled that
                          when non usa people wanted to get the game for free . ITS A GLOBAL MARKET
                          wake up.

Ive seen comments on several forums that companys dont listen and nothing gets done
                          EA Games , Epic , Novalogic , Ubisoft , its all the same . Console users come first
                          bug ridden poorly written pc games come 2nd .

Ive also seen now about 5 games using gamespy browser in the retail editions
                          with NO add fav or ping filtering and yet more games come out with these lacking features.

Comment

Originally posted by SSP
                            What you on about, you can only run to travel.
                            No you don't. Have you even tried the game?

Comment

lol? you can't be serious ghepardo... the system requirements are the most impressive the developers managed to do. When I tested them on my new and my old PC I couldn't believe my eyes.

On my old PC (P4@2.8GHz,1,5GB DDR Ram, Radeon9800XT) I got between 18 and 33 Frames with 1280 resolution and LowDetails.

On my new PC (Core2Duo E6600 @ 2x2.7GHz, 2GB DDR2 Ram, nVidia 8800 GTX) I got between 80 and 120 Frames, with full details, full postprocessing and DX10 activated.

You really can't ask fore more.

Comment

Working...
                              X