Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think UT3 is too Uncompetitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    This thread says the original poster is wrong.

I said Good riddance to UT2004 the moment I first played UT3. 24 hours later it's only confirmed even stronger in my mind.
    See, I was right about you...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    they should add hit sounds again, i can never tell if i am hitting someone from far away with my turret

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by eduardvictor View Post
    EPIC, don't listen to the l33t c0mp3t!t!v3 f4gzz0rz that don't want the others to have fun and want to live from your game...

You did a great job and i love the game
    Agreed. Btw, for those who complain about the darkwalker, remember it's a DEMO, and there will be 20+ other DM maps WITHOUT vehicles, that's just a feature on this one. That's not gonna break your competition thingy, right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would also like to point the thread starter to http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579020

Now the thread starter I have never heard of, these guys that posted in the aformentioned link I do know. Heh, come to think of it SLY was one of the biggest negative critics of the game before he got his hands on the demo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    There is a clock in the game, you just need to turn it on.
    Microsoft can solve your problems:

If its like my computer, Microsoft will crash all your computer programs you are using, at 30 second/minute intervals (or just when it feels like it) lose all your work, and forcing you to restart after installing updates that you knew nothing about

(btw Krilli3 long time no see )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bloodcraze[M] View Post
    Vehicles in a 1v1? Ummm okay..... Whoever gets in the Vehicle first wins? Boy hard stuff there
    You thought that's a 1v1 map... LOL

Originally posted by armagon917 View Post
    UT is about kicking *** and not pandering to the average gamer so they can have fun too.
    No, imagine that, someone having fun! NOES!

Why don't you go play Warsow? Isn't that supposed to be your dream game?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ultron use quote other than that... yeah what he said

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    I figured that might be in there, kinda like death messages are there too.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'll just go through the criticisms one by one. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, except where specifically mentioned.

The core to the competative gameplay is there, in UT3. But naturally the third party community will build more HUD elements that are needed, and tweak things. Just as they did with previous UT's, and in other games.

UTComp should be a third party mod, not something built in the game itself.

It's dumb to have a clock in the game by default - that's something that needs to be there for competative tournaments, and that's something that will be enabled via UTComp anyways.

Also it's the height of stupidity to expect there to be a clock for powerups. Super dumb. If you were a good player you wouldn't need one. And bad players won't be able to time, anyways. That's catering to n00bs posing as pr0s.

Spectating is an option that can be tweaked by server admins. Some players don't like spectators because of the possible cheating that can include.

Shield Gun? LOL! Let's leave that cowardly chapter behind. Most pros hate it, and most of the rest of us hate it too.

I agree vehicles have no place in a 1on1. But no surprise UTcomp and/or mutators will take care of that.

There's a large skill gap between new players and professionals, and it's not up to the game to sort it out. If you're really a good player, like you say you are, then you'll beat out a new player. End of story. Complaining that a n00b got a kill on you just shows you weren't that good to begin with. Deal with it.

All the UT games have been easy to pick up. They've all been hard to master. The only issue that helps n00bs get a kill on pr0s is that weapons are more powerful. And honestly, they're between UT and UT2 strength levels. So, this is a true compromise, despite the whiners.

The surfboard is an option to use on those large maps that are in vCTF and WAR that help to prevent vehicle-less players from being screwed out of the action. There's no reason to complain about it.

There is a difference between competative player, and professional player. I'm a competative player, not a professional one, and 99% of the players are not pros. And it's dumb to cater to the pros at the expense of EVERYONE ELSE. And to top it all off, not all pros want to play a game that nobody else enjoys playing. So like it or not pros want to win in a popular game, not a niche game.

Roulette makes a good point in saying that UT2 players now are their own "old school" group now. I think it's a bit hypocritical for them to complain UT1 players should get what they want when UT2 players want to get what they want. There is no false delimma here, where it's either one or the other. There's room for compromise. And so far Epic has made a great swing to appeal to everyone.

One thing to note is that the main thing the UT2 crowd is complaining about is the lack of dodge jump. A lot of the other criticisms are easily solved via a fine-tuning of the game as well as retail release, and through third party competition mods like UTComp. A few are complaining about the shield belt, but the vast majority of players are glad that's gone. It's merely a case of a vocal minority clamoring for recognition.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    guys we cant **** on the game yet, i mean really from what i can see so far it looks like the problem is the mappers. They tried so hard to make a pretty game they didnt get the map funfactor down. Thats where the community comes in

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am what you would call a competitive gamer. That is if you call playing for 2+ years as the one of the top teams is several different gametypes.

I really think they failed on the part of making UT3 a CPL / WGL / GTGL type of game.

The core is there but it just lacks the backing to go with the core I think.
    That's not going to happen, most leagues will pick the latest hottest thing or pick something as long as the company throws lots of cash at the league. See painkiller or FEAR

-No UT comp style of mod I thought they would of finaly just done what they made a mod for and put it in the game they came close with the "Duel" feature but honestly dosnt even come close to comparing with the UT comp was.
    The community will do it, just like they did last time. I do believe a couple of people are already working on it. At least they keep cryptically mentioning it. Anything epic would have done in terms of that would have been roundly criticized in the community. They are by far the most fickle bunch

-No Clock for 1v1 or TDM or DM by default? Uhhh No clock to time powerups? So now we have to go off of instinct granted its easy after awhile of playing but still to be perfect that makes great players great players is now gone ...
    I am kinda baffled by this myself. 99 didn't have a clock but 2k4 did. I dont' know what to think.

-No specing to demo games for other players to watch? Kinda odd
    See BETA

-No special use of a weapon to greater improve your chance at a kill or no kill (Shield gun for sheild and for shield jumps)
    Impact hammer is there for piston jumps. As for the secondary shield? I am now starting to wonder if you really played in competition at all. The shield was one of the things the DM community *****ed since it ended up being way too defensive.

-Vehicles in a 1v1? Ummm okay..... Whoever gets in the Vehicle first wins? Boy hard stuff there
    VDM... hopefully that will be a seperate gametype. If not? The map will be edited about an hour after release. Does Rankin-FE ring a bell?

I just feel as if they made this game too much for the normal everyday gamer and not the real hardcore gamers / clans that kept UT99 / UT2K3 / UT2K4 still running today... Anyone else see that or is it just me?
    Sorry to break this to you, but that's what Epic does. They make it for everybody. The comp community is far too fickle for them to cater to a small percentage of the game community. As long as they make a decent game the people will come and the comp community will take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cci
    Originally posted by Corrupt^ View Post
    I kinda agree with you there, take the Heatray dm for instance. Looks like a awensome 1on1 map to me, it has a shieldbelt to time, armor, etc.

But the vehicle spoils it.

IMO, they shud add an option to disable/enable vehicles for servers, else we're gonna have to mod the maps ourselves. Vehicles should be there indeed, for those who want it, but there are also plenty of players who don't want it.

The clock also seems important, but a competitive mod like UTcomp or something might be able to add a timer on the hud. (if not, I'm gonna buy a stopwatch )

Now on another note... the new flak cannon rules

Keep in mind that they're trying to show us ALL THAT UT3 CAN DO in thsi demo. Simple modding will allow us to remove vehickles etc. and things like timers prolly. It seems like all the stuff that is being complained about is stuff that's an easy fix.

Maky your way over to the correct forumn and tell them how you feel, they're looking for suggestions from thsi "BETA".

And, remember they arent' realy trying to make us the best domo in the world, They want ppl to buy the game, not play the demo all **** day. Might even get lucky and have a simple server option like remove vehickles etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Man, this has to be one of the whiniest forums I have ever been on. I have yet to understand why people complain so much about the BETA DEMO! Comments like
    Originally posted by Paincakes
    This game just doesn't feel finished... :|
    ... You're right it's not!

Seriously guys, wait until the full game comes out, then complain if you don't like it. You have a right to your opinion, but this time the things you're complaining about don't make sense. It's not even complete and it's purposely lacking in options and content. The point to the beta demo is to iron out bugs and give us a small sample.

Epic didn't have to release a beta demo to us, so be happy they did.

To address the OP, obviously I disagree with you .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really think they failed on the part of making UT3 a CPL / WGL / GTGL type of game.
    To each his own, but...

The core is there but it just lacks the backing to go with the core I think.

-No UT comp style of mod I thought they would of finaly just done what they made a mod for and put it in the game they came close with the "Duel" feature but honestly dosnt even come close to comparing with the UT comp was.
    First off, this is a beta demo. There's not even instagib in it. And the scoreboard doesn't even show ping. Obviously you're not playing the full game.

-No Clock for 1v1 or TDM or DM by default? Uhhh No clock to time powerups? So now we have to go off of instinct granted its easy after awhile of playing but still to be perfect that makes great players great players is now gone ...
    Oh sh¡t, you mean you have to be *good* at controlling the items now, instead of relying on an alarm clock? ****, I bet that sucks to be you.

-No specing to demo games for other players to watch? Kinda odd
    Beta demo.

-No special use of a weapon to greater improve your chance at a kill or no kill (Shield gun for sheild and for shield jumps)
    Have you tried the Piston? I'm not sure if you remember, but there was once a Hammer in UT; and a **** fine one at that.

-Vehicles in a 1v1? Ummm okay..... Whoever gets in the Vehicle first wins? Boy hard stuff there
    I'm pretty sure that nobody at Epic or elsewhere is forcing you to play with vehicles. And if you're talking about no regular CTF? That's right, Beta demo.

I just feel as if they made this game too much for the normal everyday gamer and not the real hardcore gamers / clans that kept UT99 / UT2K3 / UT2K4 still running today... Anyone else see that or is it just me?
    To each his own...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
    This game just doesn't feel finished... :|
    Sorry, I don't mean this to sound like a flame or anything personal, but this is one of the stupidest comments I have seen yet...

Do you even know and understand what a "beta" is and what that means?

If you require a bit of understanding of the terminology in programming software, check out 'Beta' at Wikipedia.

For those who don't want to expend the energy clicking, here is an excerpt:

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X