Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think UT3 is too Uncompetitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whiners will always be louder at the dawning of a new game. The reason is simply because the ones that like it are probably all playing it.
    Hopefully soon, when all the bugs are sorted out, I can say good riddance to UT2004.

Comment

This thread says the original poster is wrong.

I said Good riddance to UT2004 the moment I first played UT3. 24 hours later it's only confirmed even stronger in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by armagon917 View Post
        I wanted a game that sorted out the skilled from the nOObs. UT is about kicking *** and not pandering to the average gamer so they can have fun too.
        Huh? One of the defining aspects of the franchise is that it's all those things...you're given the tools to make your über-gamer mod where you can show off your clown-strafing and rocket-******** or whatever little tricks that you've been practicing for years, if that's what you're into.

Whatever...TBH I'm suprised and a bit shocked by some of the negative vibes I've been reading on the forums based on just three maps and a couple of game types that barely scratch the surface of what UT3 has to offer. This demo that we've seen is just a tiny beginning of something huge.

Comment

I'd say competetively, the only problem with this UT3 beta demo is the lack of proper maps and perhaps some skin issues.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
            I would have thought a competitive gamer will look at the settings and find "Show Clock" between the very few options this game in it's current state gives.
            Dangit I wanted to be the one that said that I think the lot of you are full of it. I can barely tell what's going on in a game due to my lack of dual cores, let alone the inability to find a really good server due to the circumstances surrounding the release. I'm still trying to tweak the game settings. Maybe you should actually play the game for a few hours before you say something.

Comment

Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
              This game just doesn't feel finished... :|
              Well, no. That's why it's a Beta. If Beta's were finished, they wouldn't be Beta's anymore, now, would they.

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
              Yep, and I trust those guys a lot more than the OP here, atleast in terms of how grown-up they are acting.

Comment

yup.... it's easy to kill for anyone that knows how to move well enough to avoid getting hit (which isn't too hard)

Comment

Well, i'm not worried about UT3 at ALL.

For one thing, the pace has been slowed a bit, which is, what i thought i'd always heard, what fans wanted because it would be closer to the original that people loved.

There is a clock you can turn on, as someone mentioned.

And i think it's still obvious that anyone who puts the time into UT3 is going to have the edge when it comes to skill. It might be easier to pick up and play, but wtf.... it's the first day of the demo. Hardcore players will blow away the OP's little sister.

Darkwalker and Hoverboard are both awesome if you ask me. Just sounds like old school fans having trouble adjusting to new things.

Comment

Originally posted by CNStrikesBack View Post
                    Just sounds like old school fans having trouble adjusting to new things.
                    See, now you have problems with language. This is a third style. The UT players like the first. The 2kers like the second. And this is something new. Hard to be specific when you say old school now. 2k joined the old school the moment this demo dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post

I said Good riddance to UT2004 the moment I first played UT3. 24 hours later it's only confirmed even stronger in my mind.
                      Pretty good thread Bersy. Although I disagree about the Bio Rifle. I like it the way it is. It's awesome. If they change anything about this game please don't let it be the Bio.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't know what the problem is outside of those having technical snafus on their configurations.
                      The game is NOT 2k4, and it is NOT Original UT.
                      It's got similarities to both games, and does truly meet in the middle. The regular dodge is almost as far as the dodge jump was last game IMO.
                      The movement is fine. It's faster than the old games, and some weapons seem more UT while others seem more 2k4 IMO. It's an evolution. It builds on the first two games really. You can still do crazy wall dodges, and if you have the jump boots you can do a pseudo dodge jump. But you can't jump three players off the ground without the boots. Likewise it's faster than UT was, and just because the jumps aren't as far as in 2k4 doesn't mean they're a 99 vibe either. It's very different.

The Dark Walker is probably there just to let us try it, who knows if it'll be in the retail release or not? I for one thought it was fun, and I wouldn't mind seeing some VDM maps. I think Vehicles work in DM as long as it isn't overdone. There were some great VDM maps for 2k4. Not EVERY map needs them but the Vigilante 8/Twisted Metal vibe can be something fun.

But yeah 2k* made me put away UT, and UT3 seems like it's going to make me put away 2k*. Give the game more than five minutes, begin to adapt, and then you'll wonder what you were so upset about.

Comment

Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
                        Sorry, I don't mean this to sound like a flame or anything personal, but this is one of the stupidest comments I have seen yet...

Do you even know and understand what a "beta" is and what that means?

If you require a bit of understanding of the terminology in programming software, check out 'Beta' at Wikipedia.

For those who don't want to expend the energy clicking, here is an excerpt:

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodcraze[M] View Post
                          I really think they failed on the part of making UT3 a CPL / WGL / GTGL type of game.
                          To each his own, but...

The core is there but it just lacks the backing to go with the core I think.

-No UT comp style of mod I thought they would of finaly just done what they made a mod for and put it in the game they came close with the "Duel" feature but honestly dosnt even come close to comparing with the UT comp was.
                          First off, this is a beta demo. There's not even instagib in it. And the scoreboard doesn't even show ping. Obviously you're not playing the full game.

-No Clock for 1v1 or TDM or DM by default? Uhhh No clock to time powerups? So now we have to go off of instinct granted its easy after awhile of playing but still to be perfect that makes great players great players is now gone ...
                          Oh sh¡t, you mean you have to be *good* at controlling the items now, instead of relying on an alarm clock? ****, I bet that sucks to be you.

-No specing to demo games for other players to watch? Kinda odd
                          Beta demo.

-No special use of a weapon to greater improve your chance at a kill or no kill (Shield gun for sheild and for shield jumps)
                          Have you tried the Piston? I'm not sure if you remember, but there was once a Hammer in UT; and a **** fine one at that.

-Vehicles in a 1v1? Ummm okay..... Whoever gets in the Vehicle first wins? Boy hard stuff there
                          I'm pretty sure that nobody at Epic or elsewhere is forcing you to play with vehicles. And if you're talking about no regular CTF? That's right, Beta demo.

I just feel as if they made this game too much for the normal everyday gamer and not the real hardcore gamers / clans that kept UT99 / UT2K3 / UT2K4 still running today... Anyone else see that or is it just me?
                          To each his own...

Comment

Man, this has to be one of the whiniest forums I have ever been on. I have yet to understand why people complain so much about the BETA DEMO! Comments like
                            Originally posted by Paincakes
                            ... You're right it's not!

Seriously guys, wait until the full game comes out, then complain if you don't like it. You have a right to your opinion, but this time the things you're complaining about don't make sense. It's not even complete and it's purposely lacking in options and content. The point to the beta demo is to iron out bugs and give us a small sample.

Epic didn't have to release a beta demo to us, so be happy they did.

To address the OP, obviously I disagree with you .

Comment

cci
                              Originally posted by Corrupt^ View Post
                              I kinda agree with you there, take the Heatray dm for instance. Looks like a awensome 1on1 map to me, it has a shieldbelt to time, armor, etc.

But the vehicle spoils it.

IMO, they shud add an option to disable/enable vehicles for servers, else we're gonna have to mod the maps ourselves. Vehicles should be there indeed, for those who want it, but there are also plenty of players who don't want it.

The clock also seems important, but a competitive mod like UTcomp or something might be able to add a timer on the hud. (if not, I'm gonna buy a stopwatch )

Now on another note... the new flak cannon rules

Keep in mind that they're trying to show us ALL THAT UT3 CAN DO in thsi demo. Simple modding will allow us to remove vehickles etc. and things like timers prolly. It seems like all the stuff that is being complained about is stuff that's an easy fix.

Maky your way over to the correct forumn and tell them how you feel, they're looking for suggestions from thsi "BETA".

And, remember they arent' realy trying to make us the best domo in the world, They want ppl to buy the game, not play the demo all **** day. Might even get lucky and have a simple server option like remove vehickles etc.

Comment

I am what you would call a competitive gamer. That is if you call playing for 2+ years as the one of the top teams is several different gametypes.

I really think they failed on the part of making UT3 a CPL / WGL / GTGL type of game.

The core is there but it just lacks the backing to go with the core I think.
                                That's not going to happen, most leagues will pick the latest hottest thing or pick something as long as the company throws lots of cash at the league. See painkiller or FEAR

-No UT comp style of mod I thought they would of finaly just done what they made a mod for and put it in the game they came close with the "Duel" feature but honestly dosnt even come close to comparing with the UT comp was.
                                The community will do it, just like they did last time. I do believe a couple of people are already working on it. At least they keep cryptically mentioning it. Anything epic would have done in terms of that would have been roundly criticized in the community. They are by far the most fickle bunch

-No Clock for 1v1 or TDM or DM by default? Uhhh No clock to time powerups? So now we have to go off of instinct granted its easy after awhile of playing but still to be perfect that makes great players great players is now gone ...
                                I am kinda baffled by this myself. 99 didn't have a clock but 2k4 did. I dont' know what to think.

-No specing to demo games for other players to watch? Kinda odd
                                See BETA

-No special use of a weapon to greater improve your chance at a kill or no kill (Shield gun for sheild and for shield jumps)
                                Impact hammer is there for piston jumps. As for the secondary shield? I am now starting to wonder if you really played in competition at all. The shield was one of the things the DM community *****ed since it ended up being way too defensive.

-Vehicles in a 1v1? Ummm okay..... Whoever gets in the Vehicle first wins? Boy hard stuff there
                                VDM... hopefully that will be a seperate gametype. If not? The map will be edited about an hour after release. Does Rankin-FE ring a bell?

I just feel as if they made this game too much for the normal everyday gamer and not the real hardcore gamers / clans that kept UT99 / UT2K3 / UT2K4 still running today... Anyone else see that or is it just me?
                                Sorry to break this to you, but that's what Epic does. They make it for everybody. The comp community is far too fickle for them to cater to a small percentage of the game community. As long as they make a decent game the people will come and the comp community will take care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X