Graphics could be better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics could be better

Im running the game at 1400x900 at all settings high. The game looks OK i guess, but its not as good as I expected. My FPS is really high which is a good thing running on a 8800gts. Thoughts?

The demo doesn't have the high rez textures so its more like medium detail then full

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
      The demo doesn't have the high rez textures so its more like medium detail then full
      Are you assuming that or has anyone official said this

Comment

As Spaz said... people have been saying this all night so if it's just a rumour i'd be suprised. Full sized textures would be a massive downlod burden for essentially a 'gameplay' and 'bugs' beta test.

I would expect it to halve my performance in the full game if I get the quality I would expect (8800gtx max settings FPS 70-170)

edited for clarity > by 'quality' I meant other stuff apart from just high res textures (more world detail, Anti Aliasing, more effects etc). I currently get around a quarter performance hit when using 4XAA but i'm happy with 2X, that combined with more polygons/particals/effects/higher poly models etc should give me a 'decent' reduction in performance to be at the quality I would like to play at (but still be playable by all means!).

Comment

Originally posted by Covery View Post
          Im running the game at 1400x900 at all settings high. The game looks OK i guess, but its not as good as I expected. My FPS is really high which is a good thing running on a 8800gts. Thoughts?
          Does this look better?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24262.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
            (8800gtx max settings FPS 70-170)
            What CPU are you running?

Comment

i hadn't really thought about texture sizes and demos...

are you saying that if the game game runs ok now re:fps (i was pleasantly surprised, but not elated) the retail's going to perform a lot worse on the same system? :-(

thanks,
              CD

Comment

Yes, It could run slower if you crank up the settings. In fact the highest setting requires a video card with 512mb of ram.

UT2004 limited textures to med also for the demo. In the settings menu it wouldn't let you get any higher then medium.

Comment

Whoever had the idea to use low rez textures for the demo should get fired. It would be better to not have the game than to see how poor they look.

I noticed this same thing with Fury which uses the low rez Unreal 3.0 textures. However for Fury you were able to copy the high rez executable to replace the low rez and it made a 1000% difference.

This is just pathetic. These graphics look like a beginning graphics developer made them in college.

Comment

Its about file size and making the demo as small as possible for download. Making a 4GB demo would be a waste of bandwidth.

Comment

Its about file size and making the demo as small as possible for download. Making a 4GB demo would be a waste of bandwidth.

I disagree. No one is using a dial-up anymore. www.direct2drive makes its living on people downloading complete games. This is not 1990 anymore although the graphics look like it.

Comment

What CPU are you running?
                        Core2Duo E6850 overclocked to 3.6ghz.

Oh and 'halve' my performance (going from the quality allowed in the beta to the full quality) was just a rough guess nothing scientific.

I've just been running the beta with 4X Anti Aliasing (using the 'bioshock' renaming trick) and it looked loads better, but I took a decent performance hit! I would like to run at 2X AA at least and would foresake some extra graphical quality to get it... even in the beta that looks pretty good in combination with 'intense' or 'vivid' post processing and brightness of 5 (6 is too washed out imo)

Comment

Originally posted by Heater View Post
                          Whoever had the idea to use low rez textures for the demo should get fired. It would be better to not have the game than to see how poor they look.

I noticed this same thing with Fury which uses the low rez Unreal 3.0 textures. However for Fury you were able to copy the high rez executable to replace the low rez and it made a 1000% difference.

This is just pathetic. These graphics look like a beginning graphics developer made them in college.
                          This is a BETA you 'tard. This isn't about the graphics. It's about bug testing.

I'm really getting sick of people like you and your self righteous rants about how this "BETA DEMO" doesn't meet up to your ridiculous expectation. If you don't like it, don't play it. Do us all a favor and shut up. Epic doesn't owe you ANYTHING so stop acting like they borrowed your life...

Also, talking about copying over a "high res executable" really makes you look like an idiot. They don't store textures in an executable

Comment

Sharpfish:

increasing the texture resolution does not affect the rendering performance at all. Your performance in the full game will be exactly the same with the full resolution textures.

In some game engines if the amount of textures in the scene exceed the amount of video ram you have then this could cause an instant performance drop due to thrashing, however in ue3 this is less likely to happen because of its texture streaming technology, so basically if you put the texture resolution up more than your video card can handle, then the textures will not fully stream in, and you will simply see them being displayed at a lower mip level.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
                              Core2Duo E6850 overclocked to 3.6ghz.

Oh and 'halve' my performance (going from the quality allowed in the beta to the full quality) was just a rough guess nothing scientific.
                              I don't think your going to see a huge hit no more then 10fps.

I might look into a 8800 or the Core2Duo. I'm only getting 20-50fps running a AMD x2 with a 7800GT.

Comment

Working...
                              X