Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are current cards 8800 GTS/GTX expected to max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KriLL3.8
    If you lost why haven't you returned it?
    (with regards to Samsung 226BW panels)
    tbh, I'm a fantastic procrastinator, I have it setup next to what I know to be an S panel Samsung, and having colour corrected the 226BW C-type they look ok together unless you look close. I've had some stuttering issues with the 226BW, but afaik that could be due to using 2 monitors (it happens when I close down a game, the 226BW sorta... jerks/stutters onscreen)

On another note I've heard from a few people that you can only get C panels here in NZ (w00t). I'm debating phoning Samsung up and giving them a drilling, but I'm quite convinced they'll just say, 'Please return it to where you purchased it from'... and in that case they will only be able to give me a replacement (C panel type again I suspect)...

Thats my predicament.

Soz for hijacking your thread TS, I'll have a look at the topic and edit this to make it more relevant

edit
    Alrightie.
    I've had a wee read through.

TS, what GPU are you on at the moment? If it will run UT3 I'd stick with it. You know you want to upgrade, and from what I gather you're smart enough to want to make an informed decision that you'll be pleased with and will last you a while.

Originally posted by Baseline
    Normally I'd shoot for a GTX, but it is pretty late in the 8800's life cycle, and I'll feel like a dip**** in 3 months time when the next gen's high-end part is out for the same price as the current GTX.
    I know what you mean about late in the 8xxx series life-cycle, but they are still valid cards imo. I'm waiting for the 9xxx series to come out, when the 8800GTS I have my eye on will (hopefully) fall in price. Now, IF the 9xxx series is going for the same price as 8800GTS' are now, I'll happily reconsider and probably get a 9xxx series. My options are open for me that way, and I won't suffer the 'if only I'd waited a month' syndrome that can come back and sting you after a purchase.

My advice is to wait. We don't even know how UT3 runs yet. I'm certainly hanging out for benchmarks from the usual reputable hardware sites.

If you cant wait though...
    To save money I'd go for the GTS640, if you're on a really tight budget, the GTS320. The difference to the GTX doesn't justify the extra NZ$200 for me, I don't know what the USA pricing is like though, if it was NZ$50, I'd go for it without hesitation.

Hope this helps.

Comment

It's hard to tell really, it all depends on the coming releases of Intel and Nvidia, if you upgrade only the video card and Nvidia releases new stuff soon and lowers the prices of the older stuff you've mad a bad choice, I don't have a crystal ball so I can't really be of assistance with that.

I'd say get the Q6600 or E6850 and wait with the video card until the Nvidia refresh, but that's only my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
        It's hard to tell really, it all depends on the coming releases of Intel and Nvidia, if you upgrade only the video card and Nvidia releases new stuff soon and lowers the prices of the older stuff you've mad a bad choice, I don't have a crystal ball so I can't really be of assistance with that.

I'd say get the Q6600 or E6850 and wait with the video card until the Nvidia refresh, but that's only my $0.02.

Well that would be the smart thing to do, but running UT3 on a new processor only until then would probably be unenjoyable. I have serious doubts that my 1950xt can handle more then 20-35 fps, even with a new processor. I guess the demo will tell all

Comment

Originally posted by Spinner187 View Post
          I guess the demo will tell all
          True that, though it will be hard to know what piece of kit to upgrade, unless you can borrow one of either.

Comment

The new 8800GTS with 112SP will be coming out mid Nov, right around the time of release. I'm not sure about the pricing but I would imagine it wouldn't be more than the 8800GTS 640 is right now. That might be a better card to wait for if you're in a toss up between the gts and gtx

Comment

Working...
            X