Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Upgrade My Computer Now Or Wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Upgrade My Computer Now Or Wait?

Hi guys, i'm sorry about another one of these threads, i know your probably sick of them by now, i just wanted to hear others thoughts on this, i was going to buy a new computer a month ago, but decided to wait till November because of the rumour of the new 9800 series.

Now it seems they've been pushed back to june 2008 (still rumours i guess) and i'm not sure if i should still continue to wait or not before upgrading, my current specs are ati x850 256mb 2.4ghz single core, and 1gb ram, so of course im hoping this would be enough to play UT3 demo while waiting to upgrade, your thoughts?

Originally posted by Kusimeka View Post
    so of course im hoping this would be enough to play UT3 demo while waiting to upgrade, your thoughts?
    Wait couple days? Or week whatever.

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577457

Up to you. Keeping a computer up to date is a sysyiphisian task. You never get there.

Comment

Ah yeah, i'm sorry i meant, that hopefully running it slightly laggy / low settings wont be too bad till i upgrade, if it's worth waiting that is i know the demo is here very soon

Edit: Mort yeah, i know it's very hard, just that the high end graphics cards do not release very often, and if a new one came out, for similar price a month after i'd just bought the best one, i'd be pretty gutted (considering i want a 8800 gtx)

Oh and if that system score is accurate, then it'd be awesome cause it says i can run it in medium-high which would be great to hold me over!

Comment

If you have the dosh, do it...

the problem with waiting is there is always something else to wait for, new chip, new gfx, etc etc

I waited for the P35 chipset, gfx and chip you can always replace as and when needed... but the latest gfx and chip will see ya out for the next 3 years or more...

I look at 3 years life, with maybe gfx upgrade during that life span...

but a new system will see out the life of UT3 no problem...

Comment

Originally posted by mossa View Post
            If you have the dosh, do it...

the problem with waiting is there is always something else to wait for, new chip, new gfx, etc etc

I waited for the P35 chipset, gfx and chip you can always replace as and when needed... but the latest gfx and chip will see ya out for the next 3 years or more...

I look at 3 years life, with maybe gfx upgrade during that life span...

but a new system will see out the life of UT3 no problem...
            i agree latest stuff atm will do you well for a bout 3 yrs but in saying that athlon have some new cpu's soon i think?

Comment

yes true mossa, if i bought a new computer now, would the motherboard be compatible with the new proccesors and graphics cards that come out in the next few years?

Comment

Ah yeah, i'm sorry i meant, that hopefully running it slightly laggy / low settings wont be too bad till i upgrade, if it's worth waiting that is i know the demo is here very soon

Edit: Mort yeah, i know it's very hard, just that the high end graphics cards do not release very often, and if a new one came out, for similar price a month after i'd just bought the best one, i'd be pretty gutted (considering i want a 8800 gtx)

Oh and if that system score is accurate, then it'd be awesome cause it says i can run it in medium-high which would be great to hold me over!
                Will you be able to run UT2k7 with your current specs? yes... will it be pretty? not by any means... Unfortunately there is a lot more that goes into running a game on high graphics than just the graphics card... the key to high performance is balancing your system... good luck running UT 07 on high with a single core processor and 1 gig of ram ...

Comment

asus p5k P35 chipset, This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Quad-core processors in LGA775 package. It also can support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU. It´s excellent for multi-tasking, multi-media and enthusiastic gamers with 1333 / 1066/800 MHz FSB. Intel® Quad-core is one of the most powerful CPU in the world. This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. It also can support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU. With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world. The Intel® P35 Express Chipset is the latest chipset designed to support the next generation 45nm CPU; and up to 8GB of dual-channel DDR2 800/667 MHz memory architecture. It also supports 1333/1066/800 FSB (Front Side Bus), PCI Express x16 graphics and multi-core CPUs.

are you UK based?

Comment

yeah seems nice, yeah im uk based

Oh and is it worth paying an extra £20-35 to get 1k MHZ on ram instead of 800?

Comment

try looking at www.overclockers.co.uk

build your own or ready built for you, but if you get ready built I would ask for it to not be overclocked

Comment

1) The demo should give a clearer idea what is best for UT3
                        2) The best sales are usually around Thanksgiving here in US, & I assume sometime in Nov for UK...

Comment

yeah seems nice, yeah im uk based

Oh and is it worth paying an extra £20-35 to get 1k MHZ on ram instead of 800?
                          Does your MB use 1k RAM?

Comment

Yeah I think its worth the extra
                            my systems
                            sys 1

Antec 900 Gaming case
                            enermax infiniti 650
                            WD raptor 74gb
                            Asus P5k (p35)
                            E6750 (2.66Ghz)
                            2 Gig PC 8500 1066Mhz
                            8800 Gts

sys 2
                            the same except
                            8800Gtx

but if you want to use two GFX cards together in the future check what mobo you get

Comment

Wait like 2 weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X