This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Enough

Hi there, I recently bought a new laptop. It has Windows Vista Basic and its specs are:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2080 processor (1.73GHzX2, 533MHz)

Memory: 2GB DDR2 667RAM

Hard Drive: 80GB 5400rpm

Optical Drive: DVD writer dual layer

Display: 15.4" Widescreen WXGA

Video: Embedded ATI XPRESS 1100-864MB, 128MB dedicated video 736MB SHARED Memory

Will this be fast enough to run UT3 smoothly?

At low resolution and low settings, it might be able to start the game, don't expect good frames even at minimal settings, you're well bellow minimum spec.

Comment

no idea never heard of that video card before

Comment

cross your fingers... and maybe. its going to be touch and go as to whether it will run at all though.

Comment

isn't that video below x1300? I don't think it'll do.

Comment

It is well bellow the x1300, but his CPU is well over minimum, that might make up the difference, but who knows.

Comment

i dunno, but i'd be highly skeptical at getting anything close to "smooth" with that onboard video card.

the link shows an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz) with the same onboard video card not even touching 8 fps at 1024x768 with low settings in Quake 4.

Comment

well from my reckoning laptops tend to bottle neck in more places than one - i used to have a good laptop (at the time) had similar specs to my old gaming rig with regards to cpu and ram but it had nowehere near as much power the mobo and gfx card seriously slowed it down and ut2k4 was only just about playable and considering the min specs on ut3 are there any laptop mobo's that can handle the processing needed.

ive never been a fan of laptops they are good for word processing or just processing stuff but for real time programs that require alot of raw power from the mobo gfx cpu ram i dont know.

if i was you i would sell laptop and build a pc with what money you can get together. have an ebay sale of old stuff that you rarely use - if u can get £5-600 you could get a recommended spec system or a minimum spec and add to it when you have more money.

thats just my opinion tho and my old laptop bottle necked around the north bridge and gfx.

here is a mesh built pc spec

* Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
                * Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
                * Midi-Tower ATX Case +550W PSU -Black/Silver
                * PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
                * 2GB DDR2 667MHz ( 2 x 1GB Samsung )
                * 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
                * LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
                * 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
                * 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
                * 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
                * Creative Labs T6100 - 5.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
                * Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
                * Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
                * BullGuard Internet Security 7.0 -AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter - 90 day trial
                * Multi-format Memory Card Reader
                * Silver - 1 Year On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Home Service)

Standard features:

* Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
                * 6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)
                * 2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
                * 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

that is £699.00 in the sale - but if thats too costly

here is another

System Price: £ £513.75
                AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ - Socket AM2
                Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
                New MESH Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +300W PSU
                ASUS M2A-VM HDMI,AMD Athlon X2/FX,Socket AM2 - Micro ATX
                2GB DDR2 667MHz Memory - (2x 1GB)
                500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
                LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
                256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out [upg £ 100.00]
                5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
                Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
                Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
                Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
                2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
                Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)
                Silver - 1 Year On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Home Service)

ive upped the gfx to a 8600gt but removed the monitor - as you can get a monitor fairly cheap.

but if you searched around you could buy those parts cheaper and build it your self.

Comment

I always follow the mantra: small cheap laptops, big expensive desktops.

Game on your desktop, do light stuff on your laptop while on the move, a gaming laptop is an oxymoron, it's neither light and mobile enough to work well as a laptop nor does it have good enough performance for gaming, and it's a lot more expensive to boot, and your screen etc is tied to your hardware, can't update parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X