help me with my video card choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me with my video card choice

sup guys i will thank you if you can help me right now i got a ATI x1300 and i want to upgrade what should i pick? ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB that is 135 USD or a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS 512MB for 200 USD so what should i pick!!! dont know!

escuse my english mexican :]

If you can afford an extra $90 I'd go for a GeForce 8800GTS, like this one...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082
    ... that one even comes with a free copy of quakewars.. not that you will need it once UT3 comes out ))))

If you can't afford the extra 90, just wait a month or 2 or 3.. some time soon, when the new cards are announced, there will be price cuts on current cards. I bet you can pick up an 8800gts for just a smooch over 200 some time before xmas.

Comment

thanks alot man.

Comment

Yeah if you cant get what he said go with the 8600GTS 512. My friend just got one and if you have a decent proc / ram / mobo you should be okay for mid settings on UT3 (Not sure totally but id guess) If you wanna get into the higher settings look into a 320mb 8800GTS.

Comment

If you can wait to upgrade shortly after the game is released there are new video cards coming out that will offer more performance at a better price. That is what I plan on doing. I was going to get a HD2900 Pro but the next ATI cards will require less power to operate and should give a decent performance boost compared to what is available now. Nvidia will have a new card out soon too.

Comment

You definitely want to stay away from ATI cards. With the latest games many have been known to crash often. Also, another bad thing about ATI is they don't keep their drivers up to date in computability with OpenGL Standards. More games run OpenGL than you think btw.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathBooger View Post
              If you can wait to upgrade shortly after the game is released there are new video cards coming out that will offer more performance at a better price....I was going to get a HD2900 Pro but the next ATI cards will require less power to operate and should give a decent performance boost compared to what is available now. Nvidia will have a new card out soon too.
              That's a good consideration; if you add a high-power (uses alot of watts), then you may also have to upgrade your power supply, making the upgrade cost even more.

Plus, the extra cost of buying a brand-new card that is lower wattage can be balanced out by the money you save on your electric bill. I save about $6/month using a laptop vs a destop... well having a 21" CRT doesn't help my electric bill either

Comment

At $200 your looking at the 8600GTS and HD2600 mid range cards. You do not want cards like that for UT3 and not at that price. Price will drop early next year.You really should wait to buy.

But, if you want something now, the ATI 1950 pro with 512mb of 256 bit memory is only $150 at newegg. It beats up the 8600 and 2600 cards in benchmarks, leaves them bloody.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102075

Comment

hey man...i was wondering the same thing when looking at cards. i decided to spend the extra 80-90 bux and get the 8800gts. the 320mb 320-bit. it was such a smart move. i am playin the crysis mp beta with all the settings on high at 1024x768 and it doesnt lag or anything. you will definitely be happier investing the money now and having a card that will last longer and play more games in the future.

Stage

Comment

Originally posted by Darkshogun View Post
                    You definitely want to stay away from ATI cards. With the latest games many have been known to crash often. Also, another bad thing about ATI is they don't keep their drivers up to date in computability with OpenGL Standards. More games run OpenGL than you think btw.
                    Cha right lamer ROFLMFAO. The only way a ATI card going is going to crash a system is if the drivers are not up to date or you have a crappy system!! IM running a x1950 Dual Crossfire setup and have no problems at all. Bioshock works great!!! I suggest you prove what games will crash for sure before you blatantly start talking S!!! about how ATI cards crash often! D.A.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimReaper View Post
                      Cha right lamer ROFLMFAO. The only way a ATI card going is going to crash a system is if the drivers are not up to date or you have a crappy system!! IM running a x1950 Dual Crossfire setup and have no problems at all. Bioshock works great!!! I suggest you prove what games will crash for sure before you blatantly start talking S!!! about how ATI cards crash often! D.A.
                      I think he means the new series of ATI cards e.g. 2900, 2600 etc. We all know the x1950s were perfect Direct X9 graphics cards.
                      And i too have heard a lot about the ATI's drivers being bad, personally id go for the 8800GTS, but then again u cud go by what processor u have e.g. AMD- ATI
                      Intel-NVidia

Comment

I'd wait for the new ATi HD2950* and the new nVidia 8800GT to release. In fact, thats what I'm doing.

Comment

look at this card
                          http://www.esc.pl/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=8212
                          the only problem this is shop that is in my country so will have look somewhere else

Comment

Nope this is the card you want!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-20-Nvidia...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                            X