Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI or nVidia -- which will do better in UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ishiyumi -

Neither the Nvidia or ATI cards should have burned out if they hadn't been overclocked too much. Sounds like you have case temps that are too high so the cards can't cool themselves enough.

Comment

nvidia ftw

Comment

I see alot of company bashing ATI fanboi's say'n Nvidia sucks and Nvidia fanboi's say'n ATI suck. The bottom line is ...... Both companies High end cards will work awesome. Both ATI and Nvidia High end cards will kick ***!!!

You just gotta choose what band wagon you want to jump on thats all!!

Comment

8800GT 512MB card vs. Radeon HD 290XT in Unreal Tournament 3:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=10

The ~$250 8800GT 512MB card actually outperforms the HD 2900XT in UT3 at 1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 and looks to be about equal at 2560x1600. Scroll down to see the UT3 chart.

This is with the new Catalyst 7.10 drivers mind you.

Given the performance of the 8800 GT relative to the 8800 GTS, we can expect the 8800 GT to perform on par with, if not better than, the Radeon HD 2900 XT. Our numbers, confirm this for the most part. This information is quite important. Either AMD needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and surprise us with performance higher than we expect, or they need to compete with the 8800 GT based on price. We are hearing that the upcoming part from AMD should be competitive with 8800 GT pricing, but we'd need to see availability of the RV670 based parts at prices lower than the 8800 GT to make them start looking worth while. This could be difficult for AMD if NVIDIA hits their target of $200 (or lower for the 256MB version).
          The full review starts here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140

Comment

NVIDIA or ATI? lol

IMHO go get yourself a GeForce 8800 GTS with 320mb GDDR3 onboard and it wont even be a question of which but a question of just how fast you'll kick your comp's butts. No matter what 3d immersive environment I have run my system in since slapping this bad boy in (granted it was 350 USD graffx card) even EQ2 at highest quality setting is no longer an issue. And to think, at one time they were warning even the highest end computers with best graphics cards might not be able to run at playable framerates on that setting <shrug> Ima hafta say NVIDIA

Comment

A lot of peeps were saying that it could be 250$ for the 512MB version and 200$ for the 256MB version. It seems that it will be better than that, according to Anand

From the Anand link, page 5: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=5
              Not only that, but we can expect the stock clocked 512MB 8800 GT to hit $200 at the low end. The 256MB part, which won't show up until the end of November, will hit prices below $200.
              Now what we need is a 512MB 8800gt with UT3 bundled

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                I've lost my faith in ATI/AMD, I'm gonna run Intel + Nvidia until it's restored.
                +1 Same here

Comment

I will never go ATI/AMD. Fair enough for people that want to do that but it's my money and I spend it how I want and what I want is an Intel and Nvidia partnership running my rig. They are my Mercedes/McLaren.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                    A lot of peeps were saying that it could be 250$ for the 512MB version and 200$ for the 256MB version. It seems that it will be better than that, according to Anand

From the Anand link, page 5: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=5

Now what we need is a 512MB 8800gt with UT3 bundled
                    Yeah, I read that too,….

It looks like we could be in for a bloody little dirty price war,……and I welcome it.

For what its worth I buy both ATI (AMD) and nVidia video cards and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. As for processors I currently prefer Intel processors. Chipsets, Intel / nVidia.

***edit**

Here is another UT3 benchmark. This one seems to favor the HD 2900XT more then the 8800GT but not by much:
                    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...gt/page11.html

***edit again***

Still more UT3 demo benchmarks with some fairly consistent performance of the new 8800GT, 8800GT SLI, 8800GTS 640MB, 8800GTS 320MB, 8800GTX, HD 2900X, HD 2900 Pro and HD 2900 GT:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...nce/page10.asp

Comment

100% hitches with 2xevga 8800gt. Who knows until nvidia makes appropriate drivers......

Comment

I don't want to ruin Nvidia fanboys' dreams, but AMD/ATI are releasing what is known as the 'Spider' computer consisting of an AMD 7-Series chipset, AMD Phenom processor (quad core), and ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series graphics cards. What does this mean? Well, for starters, it is 80x more powerful than a PlayStation 3, and you can connect up to 4 ATI graphics cards. ATI's graphics technology has always been ahead of Nvidia's, although Nvidia has recently jumped ahead with more power. But that's about to change If you look at the Xbox 360's graphics and the PlayStation 3's graphics, a lot of people prefer the appearance of the Xbox 360's, which is older than the PlayStation 3, and is running on ATI graphics. Imo, Nvidia advertise too much where as ATI don't advertise enough.

Comment

I wouldn't say Nvidia advertises too much but right now they've been more powerful than ATI, if not better looking. I'm leaning towards the all ATI/AMD upgrade in February, because I like how all the parts will tie together, and generally ATI has had better color on screen for some reason. Plus all the hitching I've been hearing about in UT3 has been with Nvidia cards. I'm still on my X1800GTO and there is no hitching, though I have a slow system and the FPS isn't that great.

Comment

Working...
                          X