Jump Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump Boots

Simple question - Are jump boots going to be back in UT 3 ?

I never understood why jump boots were abandoned in UT 2k3/2k4.. Jump boots were one of the most important elements of gameplay in DM, 1v1, CTF, everything.

I really hope they're coming back .

They are
    Here
    Many of the weapons are more effective up close. Epic stresses that the aim of UT3 is to create a whole new - and better - game, rather than merely a prettier UT2004. In addition to this, old favorites from the original UT such as jump boots and the ability to feign death will return in UT3.

Comment

Jump boots !

Thank you, I'm glad to hear they're coming back : )

Comment

Not an UT99 player so can someone tell me what was so special about these jump boots.

And also this feign death sounds pretty lame, did it actually work and make a good move or was it there for ppl who wanted to just **** around and **** off the ppl playing it seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by DireWolf View Post
          Not an UT99 player so can someone tell me what was so special about these jump boots.

And also this feign death sounds pretty lame, did it actually work and make a good move or was it there for ppl who wanted to just **** around and **** off the ppl playing it seriously.
          Feign death was a waste of time imho.

As for jump boots, what was so special about them was that they ummm...allowed you to jump - high. Pretty self explanatory lol. They would be a pick up. Useful for getting in or out of another teams base with the flag.

Comment

feign death was completely useless.

Jump boots were pretty much as essential in maps that had them as the armour was. For CTF they were often paramount to a succesful cap.

Comment

feign death is fun to do against players who don't know much about the game (eg when playing against Gaylo fans at school), but useless against bots.

The jump boots now will activate on your second jump, which is an improvement IMO. I'd like to save the jumps instead of having to waste them.

Comment

Feign death was only good when servers had auto respawn on and you quickly wanted to go and change a setting or two mid-game.
                As for jump boots, I think they are an excellent addition - as long as we can jump without using them if we choose.
                Used to be able to bind "Walking|Jump" in UT99 but there should be a proper key to assign for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                  feign death is fun to do against players who don't know much about the game (eg when playing against Gaylo fans at school), but useless against bots.

The jump boots now will activate on your second jump, which is an improvement IMO. I'd like to save the jumps instead of having to waste them.

feign death was largely useless as I saw it, because I could always tell when someone was feigning and I'd get a free frag. Most other people could tell as well so I never used it.

You didn't know you could walk jump and you wouldn't use the boots? Boots on second jump sounds ok to me.

Comment

Feign death isnt useless at all In ut99 u used it for switching flagcarriers.

Btw, does 2k4 have a "drop the flag" key or is it suicide ftw?

Comment

not sure about the above...but with the feign death thing...it goes ragdoll effect and in 3rd person view i reckon that would look kinda funny. just dropping death then rolling down the hill

Comment

Originally posted by DireWolf View Post

The feign death is pretty useless, but sometimes it's amusing. I remember a public server game where a guy tried to feign death near my team's flag while he was wearing the shield belt, which cast a glow around him. You can't be dead if you have any shield belt on you! Needless to say, I started shooting at him.

The jump boots are a lot of fun and an essential part of pro-level play. When you jump you move a little further either forward or laterally and (obviously) you go up in the air, which makes you a little harder to hit unless your pursuer has great hitscan aim (often the case at the pro level). You can also combine the jump boots with an impact hammer jump. You do the hammer jump and then press your jump key at the right time to do a piston-boot jump (PBJ) which will send you flying further across the map or up in the air (to jump to a higher ledge, say). Most people have a macro keybind so that they can do it successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonC View Post
                          feign death was largely useless as I saw it, because I could always tell when someone was feigning and I'd get a free frag. Most other people could tell as well so I never used it.
                          I used to go around shooting (gibing) intact bodies, too, almost as a matter of principle.

Comment

Originally posted by crembou View Post
                            Feign death isnt useless at all In ut99 u used it for switching flagcarriers.

Btw, does 2k4 have a "drop the flag" key or is it suicide ftw?
                            2k4 has both.

feign death sounds cool, I'm a 2k4 player but also play ut99 time to time but dont know much about it, how do you do this ?

Comment

The old UT and this feign death thing reminds me of something that has nothing to do with the subject but WTH
                              I once in a regular online UT99 game with about 12 others did the pelvic thrust winning dance at the end but this time a girl character's behind was directly in front of me lol we totally cracked, everyone was rolling on the floor the next game took a minute for all players to get back in. There's a chance in a million that this could've happend. It was very funny

Comment

Working...
                              X