Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who plans on actually watching the 3D Buzz tutorials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who plans on actually watching the 3D Buzz tutorials?

Poll lists most available options, I believe.

I got the tutorials with UT2004, and watched most of them, but I eventually just got bored of them and in all honesty I just wasn't that into level design at the time. I'm much more interested now, however, so I plan on getting the special edition to watch the tutorials. From what I've heard the editor is more user friendly this time around and content creation in general is much easier. Add my extended attention span relative to three years ago and hopefully I won't give up after watching half of them

If by "much easier" you mean you need a dedicated guy to make textures, another to do complex 3d models and another to do the scripting, yeah, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
      If by "much easier" you mean you need a dedicated guy to make textures, another to do complex 3d models and another to do the scripting, yeah, sure.
      A lot of textures come standard in the game, so do a lot prefabs, and interviews clearly state that dependence on experienced coders for level editing is way down. Unless you want to be completely original in your map's design, which I suppose may be something you want to work towards, you are incorrect. I was saying how it's easier to get started with level design, not easy to make commercial-quality product. I suppose I could have been more specific.

Comment

True enough, but original content is a lot more complex now.

But Epic have said themselves that a lot of maps are supposed to be on the same planet and near each other, so they share the same bits and pieces and style, so if you want to make your own map and you set em in one of the locations you have a very wide selection of static meshes and textures etc, I just hope people learn to use collision correctly this time around so maps are in effect square shapes, instead of walls full of knocks and crannies you get stuck in all the time.

Comment

Yeah that's very true as well, which is why I sort of wish I had gotten into level design back in the original UT days. I was a lot younger back then though, and was generally less creative and had a lower attention span. I just wasn't feelin' it

Comment

I watched all the VTMs for UT2004. I never released any maps I made though. They were mostly tools for learning and not gameplay oriented. I'm hoping to release maps for UT3 so I'll definitely be watching the VTMs and be buying the new books when they're available. I do architectural and interior design for a living so it'll be nice to think up some weird alien stuff for a change.

Comment

I also made some maps, I did some interesting stuff with cool layouts etc but I didn't have the attention span to finalize them.

Comment

I'm getting the collectors edition specially for that purpose. I wanna make some maps and that sounds like good training for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementia View Post
                  I'm getting the collectors edition specially for that purpose. I wanna make some maps and that sounds like good training for it.
                  Same here. But I'm not a complete beginner to mapping, just to UnrealED.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                    ... but I didn't have the attention span to finalize them.
                    That's true of a great number of maps that are released.

It ain't finished unless there's decent botpaths, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                      It ain't finished unless there's decent botpaths,
                      That I did have. Just didn't have the patience to cover it all in static meshes/details etc, I did the map in geometry first then started adding meshes into the walls and adding flat collision outside were the old geometry wall was originally, so the map looks nice but played well.

Comment

I'm not interested in mapping - but I'll get the unrealscript book as soon as it's out for coding stuff.

Comment

I'm sure there will be plenty of tutorials out there shortly after release.
                          It can't be too difficult to work it out if you are already good with the previous UEd

Comment

I made a map or two that me and some friends used to play on every once in a while, and I'm interested in a level that's nothing but massive ledges and cover for sniping purposes. So, yes, I will watch them.

Comment

I major in computer animation (texturing / lighting) and use Maya to model while using a plug-in to get everything into the unreal ed. So far iv been doing pretty good. But I'm going to see what this new one has to offer, I might even start using the unreal ed to model. Only time will tell.

Happy Fragen.

Comment

Working...
                              X